Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

I am new to KIA...I just bought a 2018 Sorento EX+ just over a week ago and am experiencing comfort issues with the Drivers Seat. As best I can guess...it feels like the bolster on the right side is digging into my hip and is uncomfortable and even painful - I have played around with all the seat adjustments and can't find a comfortable position. I sat in the passenger seat for a 30 minute trip and found it a lot more comfortable than the drivers seat which I would rate about a 3 out of 10.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue. I have owned many new cars/suv's and have never experienced a more uncomfortable seat than this. I'm into this vehicle for 7 years so am looking for any suggestions. This is our main vehicle for our family and because of the drivers seat comfort don't look forward to driving it.

I have contacted my the dealer I purchased it from - and even though there isn't anything they can see that is obviously a defect are trying to see if Kia Canada will replace the cushion...I just am hoping this isn't a sign of things to come - I just got out of a 2014 Dodge Journey plagued with issues and was hoping buying a Kia was going to be a step towards better times.

Thanks for your input and suggestions

Woodsey

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
481 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought mine, but it just needed to break in a little bit. It went away after a few weeks. The cushions are quite stiff, but they seems to be ok after a few dozen sits.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
570 Posts
I find the seat really wide and my hips are on the flat part. I can't say I have had any comfort issues. Are your hips really wide?

If anything, the seats could grab me a little tighter and I would be happy... but considering it isn't a sporty car the seats are fine.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Response

I am 6'2" and probably average weight for my height...meaning that I take up the whole seat.

I am hoping that the seats will form to me in short order but have never had to endure being this uncomfortable in order to get there. And having sat in my passenger seat for a short trip (30 min) with no issues and comparing it to the car I test drove as well as one that was in the showroom with an obvious comfort difference its leading me to think there might be something a bit off with the base cushion of my seat.

Thus wondering how many others out there have experienced a similar issue to mine - and whether Kia did anything in the way of a replacement or it just finally worked out. All this while hoping I don't find anyone who has had to continue to endure an uncomfortable seat - I can't imagine the thought of enduring 7 years of this.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
50 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought mine, but it just needed to break in a little bit. It went away after a few weeks. The cushions are quite stiff, but they seems to be ok after a few dozen sits.
Same here. Pain in the side for a while, now feels ok.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
735 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL
38 Posts
I have 2018 Sorento SXL top trim. Bought Sep 1. Fine about 2500 Kms so far and I feel the seats are stiff. I have a Lexus RX 350 FSport 3 and it’s seats are way more comfortable. I am hoping as others say with time the seats will break in. Otherwise it’s hard in my base and I live to drive but hate to sit on these seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL
38 Posts
Also since you have 2018 EX+ how do you like the headlights ? Especially how’s the beam pattern at night ? Is it far enough for you or you think they are aimed too low n near ?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
641 Posts
I have 2018 Sorento SXL top trim. Bought Sep 1. Fine about 2500 Kms so far and I feel the seats are stiff. I have a Lexus RX 350 FSport 3 and it’s seats are way more comfortable. I am hoping as others say with time the seats will break in. Otherwise it’s hard in my base and I live to drive but hate to sit on these seats.

I'll be interested in what you experience over the next x number of months. i am looking to take my cloth seats out and get lightly used leather seats out of your trim level and install them in mine through a copart purchase. I'D hate to spend all that money and they are no more comfortable than a North Korean prison toilet. thx

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL
38 Posts
I'll be interested in what you experience over the next x number of months. i am looking to take my cloth seats out and get lightly used leather seats out of your trim level and install them in mine through a copart purchase. I'D hate to spend all that money and they are no more comfortable than a North Korean prison toilet. thx

Sure thing . Will keep you posted

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+ Titanium
20 Posts
Also since you have 2018 EX+ how do you like the headlights ? Especially how’s the beam pattern at night ? Is it far enough for you or you think they are aimed too low n near ?

I have a 2 weeks old EX+ and the cutoff line is easily 200 feet out. I live in a forest so no street lights for at least 5km and I rarely ever use the high beams. Output and distance is good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Woodsey,

Just wondering if you're still having trouble with the car seat? I just bought a 2018 Sorento SX and the driver seat is the most uncomfortable car seat I've sat in. I'm getting a lot of back and neck pain. But the passenger side is fantastic for some reason.

The right side of the seat back seems to protrude out a bit more than the left so I definitely feel a slant.I can also feel the contour changes caused by the stitching in the seat bottom.

I believe part of the problem is that the leather and foam are very new and stiff. All my previous car seats were fabric and my husband's leather Rondo seat was well broken in by his weight.

Also the head restraint is too far forward, a known issue (alternatively the upper seat back is too contoured inward. My upper back cannot get supported without having the head restraint pushing my head forward.

The fix I am going to try for now: use a thin seat pad for the bottom to dampen the feel of the stitching.

For the upper back, I'll make a wedge cushion that will fill in the countour of the seat so I can get the support without having my head pushed forward.

I say "make" because the products I've seen online are either too expensive for what they are or look to be too bulky. I plan on going to The Foam Shop and have them take measurements with me sitting in the car, then sew my own cover with straps.

I hope my ideas will be of some help to you or other readers of this forum.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts