Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got off the phone with the Service Manager at my dealership and he informed me that my 2010 forte LX, 5 speed manual trans will be getting a new transmission towmorrow??!!!

Background: I have been a Toyota fan and owned 8 of them through out my life, mostly tacomas and other pickups they make. I recently started working an hour away and decided I needed an econobox kind of car to commute with. I had 15K to spend and didnt want a used civic or something of the sort. I have been a big fan of the huge strides Hyundai has been making as of late but I am not a huge fan of their actual exterior designs. I had been looking for weeks and then suddenly stumbled upon the Forte at a local dealer. FIRST impression-- WOW, thats a KIA??!!! I decided to seriously look into it, regardless of all the people who told me I was crazy and that kias are trash vehicles. I read every post on this forum and every other forum, I stopped people in parking lots who had them, I test drove 3 of them in all the diff trim levels, and finally decided to prove the naysayers wrong and buy one. I bought a balck LX model with the convenience package and the 5 speed manual trans. For the first couple days I was on cloud nine. I Couldnt believe the build quality, stereo quality, abundance of features even on my "stripped down" model, my beloved audio controls and IPOD interconnect/control, bluetooth, the ride quality, etc. AMAZING!!

About a week into owning it I started to notice this horrible and LOUD thud or clunking sound that happened as I was accelerating in 3rd and sometimes just after shifting into 4th. Mind you, I made sure to break the car in according to the MFG guidelines and I am a very experienced manual driver, as I have never owned an automatic in my life, so I know this sound was not a result of improper shifting. The thud was so loud and jolting, that my wife wouldnt even drive the car anymore. On top of the loud thud noise, I also noticed the tranny grinding occasionally when shifted into 2nd and third, especially when the car was cold, and i mean GRINDING, not just a rough shift. It was expecially bad if you took it out of second and the tried to put it back in to second (If traffic slowed down or something). I was so shocked about this stuff I didnt even know what to think. I just kept thinking, damn it, I should have listened to EVERYONE I knew that told me not to buy it. I felt like a total idiot. and still kind of do for that matter. Dont get me wrong, I still love the aesthetics of the car, features and all of the aforementioned positive characteristics of the vehicle, but I cant believe a new car would have these kind of problems especially with something as simple as a manual trans. The tech foreman even told me that they have NEVER had a manual trans do this "out of the box" and that it was usually the auto's that come in with factory defects. Also, one more note, I had no problems shifting the car smoothly unlike what some of the posts here and reviews have mentioned. I think it truly is a well designed manual trans, but I just got lucky with a bad apple in the bunch. It is actually one of the smoothest shifting manual transmissions I have ever driven, of course when it wasnt grinding into gear, lol.

Any way, they are saying that the new trans will be in tomorrow and that KIA is now involved and is asking for the old trans to be shipped directly to them for diagnosis, which I guess is a good sign that the company actually cares about improving their product and knowing what is going on with their new releases. Also the dealer gave me an 06 Optima to use while they fix my car, so kuddos to them. (Coleman KIA, Ewing NJ)

Sorry, aside from informing others about this, I really just had to vent, and I wanted to know if other had experienced similar problems. I want to make it clear that I am not bashing on the car, or the company, or the dealer. I guess i just drew the short straw on this one. Pretty typical with my luck. I would have thought tho that the folks in engineering behind this car and the SOUL would have really done their homework and ironed out bugs like this from happening, especially considering that although this car is new to the US, it is 2 years old in the rest of the world, and therefore has a track record already. The FORTE and the SOUL are KIA's revival and expansion flagships, and being an engineer my self, I would have thought that they would have thrown a lot of effort towards making both of these models bullet proof and "Toyota quality" so to speak. I just hope the new trans solves all of the issues, and my wife and I can go back to enjoying our FORTE again. We both truly love the car.

One last note -- has anybody else noticed any of the problems I encountered with an LX or EX 5 speed manual trans? I would be very interested to know.

AC

·
Registered
2017 Optima LX, 2017 Sorento LX
625 Posts
It's terrible that you had this happen...good thing the warranty covers it. Let us know how the new tranny operates.

I'm sure Kia is unhappy that you had this kind of problem as it doesn't do much for their image -- or the new Forte's reputation. It's unfortunate that things do break...I can give you new-car horror stories about every make of car so this isn't something only Kia has happen.

·
Registered
2010 Fusion 3.0 SEL
407 Posts
Sorry to hear of your tranny issue...such an experience can be very traumatic. As you said, "...a bad apple in the bunch." Likely a single faulty component brought a good tranny down.

I once experienced having 3 transmissions replaced in the first 5,000 miles due to a weak part in a new design. In your case, a new tranny will bring back the 'joy', I'm sure.

·
Registered
1983 JEEP CHEROKEE WIDETRACK, 1987 FORD MUSTANG ASC/MCLAREN, 2001 DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB 4X4
334 Posts
Yikes!!! Sounds Like A Manufacturing Defect. I Havent Had Any Issues With A Forte Yet And Yes...kia Is Monitoring Soul/forte Warranty Claims Very Closely Which Explains Sending The Old Trans Back. I Checked Availablity On The Trans Real Quick. Warehousing Only Showed One In The U.s. And It Was In L.a.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Great...

I hope they are either already accounting for the one that is in route to my dealer or that the inventory system is wrong. I am in NJ/PA, so I seriously doubt that they will be able to ship one here from LA by tomorrow.

UGH, I hope my dealer is not blowing smoke up my ass just to keep me quiet.

I'll keep you all updated as this thing unfolds.

What a pain in the ass!

I just want my FORTE back.

AC

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
Yes very sad indeed. And as well Auto's have more defects then stick as a rule by thier very nature. But that does not help you and your stick right now for sure. That is why we have 10/100. Makes it nice to know that Hyundai/KIA stands behind thier suppliers that well to do that. And you with 8Toyotas under your belt were due for one sooner then later out of shear luck. And Toyota only stood behind the second gear (5spd stick) bad synchro design on the Pickups for 3/36. The one where you get a low whine and then loud HOWL in time. And the Four spd Auto ECU/soleniods pack for 3/36. Like In my 1988 SR5 Xtra 4x4 V6. After that in both cases you were on your own. Mine was shifting wierd on the 1-2 or the 2-3 it came and went and O/D was throwing codes and would flash the light at 28,7XX miles. Delaer siad nothing wrong resetting codes over and over. And by 30,000 it got a new trans when it locked up in 2 with O/D locked as well. Just as the GM made 4L30E in my 1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS did too at 24,000? when it locked in 3 and would not come out nor let me get R. But the same GM 4L30E in my 1994 Izuzu Trooper SE was flawless for 60,000 plus. And the 45RFE 5spd Auto in my 2002 Dodge Durango 4.7L only had one flaw in its TCM. If you left it in D with O/D button on it was flawless and started off from stoplights in 1. But if you took it out of O/D with the button it would start off from stoplights in 2 not 1 everytime. Never got that figured out at dealer and they never put a new trans in either under the 7/70. So with 46,xxx in 2006 I bought a used 1996 Volvo 965 with 125,000 and kept it till 155,00 in Sept 2007 flawless trans. I got the used 2004 Sorento LX Auto with 32,235 on it and it has now 59,971 flawless miles on it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good luck with the repair. I bought my EX from Coleman as well. Dealt with Mike, and everyone there seem like pretty good people, except the used car finance guy...but hey, that's used cars it is hard for them to not be a little slimey.

·
Registered
1983 JEEP CHEROKEE WIDETRACK, 1987 FORD MUSTANG ASC/MCLAREN, 2001 DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB 4X4
334 Posts
If Dealer Had Ordered Before I Checked Inventory It Wouldnt Have Showed In Warehouseing...once Allocated Inventory Doesnt Show Up In Warehousing. Being A New Vehicle I'd Hope Kia Would Expedite Shipping On It.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good news, I hope...

Just got off the phone with the service guy handling my tranny prob. I told him about your looking into the warehouse stock and he said you are correct. However the one I am getting is coming from Allentown PA and apparently was the only other one in the country besides the one in LA. Good to know. Hope its true.

On another note, I have been telling others I know about this situation and they have all been telling me that I should be demanding a new car and not accept a replaced trans due to the fact that the car is only 2 weeks old and has almost no miles on it. One side of me agrees, while the other side just wants my car back and doesnt want to deal with switching over all of my loan, registration, and insurance crap. I dont really know what to do. I have been contemplating calling KIA directly for the past day.:confused:

What a bummer. I think I will be drinking heavily this weekend to fill in the void my FORTE has left, LOL.

AC

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea mike is a good guy, I talked to him for quite some time while waiting for the powers that be to get to my deal. Terry, the Subaru sales manager (Who I dealt with for my KIA) is also a decent guy. Overall pretty happy with Coleman. We shall see how I feel about them on Monday though!!!

You a jersey or PA res?

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
If Dealer Had Ordered Before I Checked Inventory It Wouldnt Have Showed In Warehouseing...once Allocated Inventory Doesnt Show Up In Warehousing. Being A New Vehicle I'd Hope Kia Would Expedite Shipping On It.
Yes KIAPARTSORUCE, that would tned to make good sense. One on East and West coast warehouse inventory only. Since he is in PA your LA(cali) one is the only one left on system showing up for sure. And lets hope the dealer put it in as VOR and gets it expedited for sure.

On the demand a new car issue right now to 2010fortePA. I am really very much a 50-50 on that. Yes is it an option and a very viable one, but like you said the paperwork might be more trouble then worth it. Things can get messed up real easy now doing that and then you live for months with that. Sorta doing it to yourself as it were. When it did not need to be done jsut yet henny penny alarmist style as they are telling you to do. You are in a loaner car right? OR SHOULD BE! so really what is the big deal? Drive the wheels off the loaner car. :p and stop letting the others make you worry too fast. All those loaner miles are not on yours and the 5/50-10/100 either! lol

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2017 Optima LX, 2017 Sorento LX
625 Posts
On another note, I have been telling others I know about this situation and they have all been telling me that I should be demanding a new car and not accept a replaced trans due to the fact that the car is only 2 weeks old and has almost no miles on it. One side of me agrees, while the other side just wants my car back and doesnt want to deal with switching over all of my loan, registration, and insurance crap. I dont really know what to do. I have been contemplating calling KIA directly for the past day.:confused:
AC
Your "friends" and others have been leading you in a "never-gonna-happen" idea. You bought the car, the manufacturer provided a warranty...and is honoring it. $#!# happens, things break, they are taking care of it. If it happens again and again then you would look into the lemon law...LoL...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree. Just FYI, two of the people that told me to call KIA and try to just get a new car are actually BMW employees at our local BMW dealer. One is in sales, the other is a service writer. They have both seen these things happen and have seen the people just get new cars. Maybe that is just something lux cars like BMWs can do. Im not gona bother even trying it with KIA. Seems like more headache than benefit. I just hope they put a good or the best tech on my car and he does everything right. I would hate for him to forget to adjust something or god forbid leave a bolt out or something. That is the biggest thing im worried about -- there is nothing like the fit, finish, and ride of a factory-fresh car. It would be a bummer to get the car back and have the clutch feel different or something of the sort.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait til monday. I am going to dedicate this weekend up at our cabin to getting shitfaced in light of all of the festivities that have occured this week. Cant wait.

·
Registered
334 Posts
At This Point, Kia Is Only Obligated To Fix The Issue, Replace The Trans. Unfortunately It Doesnt Meet Lemon Criteria Yet. On The Bright Side, They Will Be Putting In A New Trans And Not A Remanufactured. Kia Doesnt Reman Manuals. If Kia Was Having An Issue With This Trans I'd Think They Would Stock More Than 2 In Warehousing In The U.s. Kps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point, I was thinking the same thing about them not stocking many due to a small failure rate. Either that or they are crapping out left and right and they cant keep up, LOL. Lets hope the later is not the case!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ehhhh....doubt It.....its A D-level Demand Part...-a-would Be Highest...d Thelowest

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea mike is a good guy, I talked to him for quite some time while waiting for the powers that be to get to my deal. Terry, the Subaru sales manager (Who I dealt with for my KIA) is also a decent guy. Overall pretty happy with Coleman. We shall see how I feel about them on Monday though!!!

You a jersey or PA res?
PA, live in philly, work in trenton, so I got it from closer to where I work for service purposes and the dealership just treated me better overall then the one's in philly. I dealt with Terry as well, no complaints either.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rio Hatch CVVT
216 Posts
Hello 2010fortePA, sorry to hear about your tranny problem. I would imagine it would take the shine of your new car purchase.

I must commend you on your approach to the problem....you stated that you did not want to be seen as bagging out the car...well done on such a mature approach to the problem. I trust things will get sorted out to your satisfaction.

On the bright side, it is pleasing to hear that your Kia dealer and Kia are standing by the warranty. All the best.... Keep us posted.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting her back today...

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager. Appearantly, the Forte is done and does not make any horrible noises. We shall see. I just hope it drives and well and tightly as it did when it was "new", minus of course the grinding and clunking. lol

Ill try to post the results later from my ride home after I pick the car up after work.

BTW, Kiapartsource,

I went to the dealership to grab some stuff out of my car on Thursday of last week. When I went into the shop to get the stuff out of my car, I noticed a transmission-sized box sitting next the the bay that the head machanic works in. It said Allentown right on the box, So I guess you were right. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts