Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultra4 Race fans! Some of you were fortunate enough to make it out to the Ultra4 Glen Helen Race last weekend. (I was not.) It sounds like an awesome event and I look forward to making it out there one of these years.

Here's a recap from Ultra4 Driver Mel Wade of the Discount Tire Off Road Evolution Race Team: Ultra4 Glen Helen 2013 Results: A "HOT" Experience | The Squealing Tire

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Indeed we do, but that's not my scene. However, in the early days in North Queensland, almost everywhere was "Off Road"; parts of the highway to our state capital (1400 km) was billed as the "Horror Stretch" in the 'Round Australia rallies of the 1950s.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool info. Thanks for chiming in. I thought I read somewhere that Australia had pretty strict laws against how large of a tire you could put under your vehicle. Is that true?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Certainly for road vehicles it's quite strict. Tyre guys will now only fit the size/profile as shown on the placard or in the official guide. One blind spot with the regulators is temporary spare tyres; they are often ridiculously small, even in overall diameter. Only regulation is that the spare (if fitted) must be securely anchored in the boot. Most people acquire a full-sixed spare; I take 2 spares on long trips.

Anything goes "Off Road" and I see some quite big wheels and lifted 4WDs. We also have Monster Trucks for special events at Agricultural Shows etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts