Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Only been here a day or so but this is a good resource for all of us stubby little buzz box owners to refer to. We recently bought a new 2012 Rio SLS 6 speed manual as a daily driver and we love the thing. What got me for a while was it was meant to be fitted with hill start assist, and no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get it to work. When i read various forums it was a case of, pull up on a hill, keep the foot brake applied, then simply let the foot off the brake and the car will hold the brakes for a couple of seconds or until it senses input from the throttle pedal.

Anyway for those of us in Australia, it's wired a different way, so i thought i'd share here in case some of you haven't figured it out yet. You could read the manual, but it's more productive to hit yourself in the face a few times.

This method has worked for me on ALL gradients, steep or not, if there's a hill it has worked. That was another thing the O/S guys were having issues with, only triggering on huge hills. Procedure:

1.) pull up as normal to a stop, clutch in, first gear selected
2.) keeping foot on brake, push the pedal firmly to build brake pressure
3.) with right foot still on brake, release the clutch about an inch, but not enough to reach the friction point or to affect engine RPM
4.) remove foot from brake

The car will now hold for what i count to be about 1.5 or 2 seconds, then start rolling back. I advise you test your cars individually, and far away from traffic, in a back street or somewhere nothing is around. It's a weird system and while i won't rely on it, i prefer old-school manual driving, it is a help in some situations, but is a little alien to get used to.

cheers

·
Registered
2012 3 door manual Kia Rio SLS in Graphite
34 Posts
I tried your suggestions today but I couldn't replicate your result- having my foot an inch off the clutch kept the car stationary indefinitely whereas the owner's manual stipulates the HAC is only activated for 2 seconds.

When I first got my SLS I also thought the HAC was faulty because I would roll back at intersections. It wasn't until I parked my car on a friend's steep driveway a few weeks ago that the HAC engaged for the first time and I knew then it was working. So basically I have concluded that the HAC will not work every single time you stop but rather it will activate when the car detects that you are above a certain gradient.

Try parking on a steep surface to test your HAC. When it activates there will be no mistaking it.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
On the Automatic the HAC engages when I am on a steep hill facing up the hill. I don't have to do anything special at all, and it seems to stay engaged until whenever i decide to hit the gas, but i haven't pushed the limit of how long i just sit there with brake released and not touching the gas... i may try one day....

·
Registered
2012 3 door manual Kia Rio SLS in Graphite
34 Posts
It only holds for 2 seconds for me as per the manual. When it disengaged it felt quite abrupt and aggressive- perhaps even more so than if it were to roll back on its own without the HAC. But that just could have been because I wasn't expecting it to engage and because I was parked on a big angle.

I suppose it wouldn't be unreasonable for the automatics to work differently to the manuals...

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
Isn't the normal action of an automatic transmission to hold steady on an incline as you are in a drive gear? I don't think auto uses Auto Hill Braking . . I could be wrong

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Isn't the normal action of an automatic transmission to hold steady on an incline as you are in a drive gear? I don't think auto uses Auto Hill Braking . . I could be wrong
Yes. HAC is for manual transmissions only.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I tried your suggestions today but I couldn't replicate your result- having my foot an inch off the clutch kept the car stationary indefinitely whereas the owner's manual stipulates the HAC is only activated for 2 seconds.

When I first got my SLS I also thought the HAC was faulty because I would roll back at intersections. It wasn't until I parked my car on a friend's steep driveway a few weeks ago that the HAC engaged for the first time and I knew then it was working. So basically I have concluded that the HAC will not work every single time you stop but rather it will activate when the car detects that you are above a certain gradient.

Try parking on a steep surface to test your HAC. When it activates there will be no mistaking it.
I'm not mistaking it, that's how it works in mine. And it works on every type of hill, i've tried it about 20 times or more now. An inch might be an understatement, but it's definitely before the clutch has even begun to engage. I've tried it on steep hills, very steep hills in fact, i live in a very hilly area. I've tried it on tiny hills, and everything in between. It will hold for about 2 seconds every time, then roll back as though you'd taken your foot off the brake. You may have been lifting the clutch too high, and encountering the friction point of the clutch rather than the HAC triggering. The friction point will disengage/bypass the HAC.

It's a system which is so ambiguous and stupid that it's something you have to physically demonstrate to someone else to show them how to make it work every time.

And i've often wondered what the point of HAC on an auto is too, other than stopping it from moving forward as well which is inherent of autos. I've had old autos that roll back a tiny bit on very steep hills but it's hardly a big deal.

btw nice avatar marley61 lol

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
These gimmicks are all fine but the best advise is to Learn to drive stick and not do depend on '2 seconds' or whatever BS they come up with.

If my car had that I will turn it off.

When car manufactures started introducing this 'hill assist' I expected it to hold car WHENEVER it detects roll back but now reading about this '2 sec' limit - no thanks...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I learnt to drive manual just over 20 years ago so that's not a real problem for me lol. I never use it in practice I just wanted to make sure something sold with the car actually worked the way it was meant to.

Also good luck turning it off without a custom tune as its hard wired into the car, there is no switch.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
These gimmicks are all fine but the best advise is to Learn to drive stick and not do depend on '2 seconds' or whatever BS they come up with.

If my car had that I will turn it off.

When car manufactures started introducing this 'hill assist' I expected it to hold car WHENEVER it detects roll back but now reading about this '2 sec' limit - no thanks...
Personally, I'd rather be sitting behind a car with hill assist than a car with an inexperienced driver and no hill assist.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
I noticed this for the first time on my car today. Clutch in and first gear on a hill, the car wouldnt roll back when i took my foot off the brake. I have a habit of leaving the gear in neutral. and using the parking brake if there is someone close behind me.

Its generally flat around here and ive never had to deal with hills a lot.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed this for the first time on my car today. Clutch in and first gear on a hill, the car wouldnt roll back when i took my foot off the brake. I have a habit of leaving the gear in neutral. and using the parking brake if there is someone close behind me.

Its generally flat around here and ive never had to deal with hills a lot.
that's how it should work, but in Australia you need to prime the brake pedal harder once at a standstill, then lift the clutch back up an inch or so to activate it. It's pretty weird. The method for the aus calibrated version came directly from Kia service, and i was sceptical as it sounded so ambiguous, but it works.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Personally, I'd rather be sitting behind a car with hill assist than a car with an inexperienced driver and no hill assist.
"It should be in everyone else's cars, except mine. I don't want any of this new assistance crap"

That being said, mine has the HAC, and it ALWAYS engages. I wish I could turn it off, but I can't. :(

Good to know that you have to WANT the one in the Rio to work.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"It should be in everyone else's cars, except mine. I don't want any of this new assistance crap"

That being said, mine has the HAC, and it ALWAYS engages. I wish I could turn it off, but I can't. :(

Good to know that you have to WANT the one in the Rio to work.
yeah you definitely have to coax it out in the Rio..

i haven't used in in real every day driving yet, don't intend to either. It hardly rolls anyway as it weighs the same as a bag of rice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts