Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a thread with a question, it's more of a place to state how bad the turning circle is on the Rio's fitted with 17" wheels. It was only to be expected after putting big wheels on a little car. When this happens to meet society's requests of bigger and better wheels, generally the compromise is the turning radius is reduced to prevent fowling of the tyre/wheel on the upper ball joints etc.

I remember reading about the LW Ford Focus Titanium having similar issues when it was released here with 18" wheels on it. Looked great but turns like a seagull with one leg. I'm not all that fussed with it as the car looks great in my opinion, but it can be frustrating at times. It's all about compromise.

I will say however that my old TANK of a V8 Fairmont with 17's turns far better than the Rio which is embarrassing as it's virtually twice the size, but designed to take 17's as an option.

It's caused a few 3 pointers where i would normally have done a u-turn, and subsequent angst amongst the world-leading road-raging Australian motorists around me but you get that here.

Anyone else notice the difference with 17's on their Rio? Not much talk about it on here so i thought i'd start a thread.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Nav Graphite/Tan
73 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference from my '06 Focus (16" factory rims). Maybe the car doesn't like to be driven upside down and from the wrong side... ;)

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
OZSLS- I think the problem isn't the 17 inch wheels but you are comparing rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive.I think the Rio(mine has 17")is quite good.If you want really poor turning circle try my wife's Chrysler PT Cruiser which is unbelieably poor:mad:.

·
Registered
'13 Rio 5-Door EX, '09 MINI Cooper S, '86 Syncro Westfalia
25 Posts
What's the turning circle on the 3-door SLS?

Can't be worse than the 5-door SX (17" wheels) which has a turning circle of 34.5 feet - fairly average for this segment... And better than a Mini!

That said, if you're coming from a car whose circle is even just 1/2 foot smaller, the real world difference is noticeable in my experience. I also find that trucks feel like they turn better than they do, because their ground clearance allows the front/rear overhangs to overlap curbs, giving you that much more tarmac to complete the turn. On my street, I can u-turn my 4WD van, but not my hatchback (despite smaller turning circle). Of course, with a truck, you can just drive over the curb too. :D

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OZSLS- I think the problem isn't the 17 inch wheels but you are comparing rear wheel drive vs front wheel drive.I think the Rio(mine has 17")is quite good.If you want really poor turning circle try my wife's Chrysler PT Cruiser which is unbelieably poor:mad:.
The thing is i've had a 82 Holden Camira, 96 Seat Ibiza, 89 Mazda Astina, 05 Ford Fiesta, 92 Ford Festiva and so on, and they've all had better turning circles. Yeah the only thing i can compare it to at the moment is my RWD boat, but it's certainly noticeable!

I think the worst turning circle i ever experienced was on a Mitsubishi Magna, which had finger-light steering but you needed to do a 5 point turn to turn into your driveway.

Mitsubishi Magna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's the turning circle on the 3-door SLS?

Can't be worse than the 5-door SX (17" wheels) which has a turning circle of 34.5 feet - fairly average for this segment... And better than a Mini!

That said, if you're coming from a car whose circle is even just 1/2 foot smaller, the real world difference is noticeable in my experience. I also find that trucks feel like they turn better than they do, because their ground clearance allows the front/rear overhangs to overlap curbs, giving you that much more tarmac to complete the turn. On my street, I can u-turn my 4WD van, but not my hatchback (despite smaller turning circle). Of course, with a truck, you can just drive over the curb too. :D
Yeah i might jack the Rio up with offroad springs, that'll make life a lot easier. Thanks for the idea! I swear the turning circle on mine is worse than the Si and S we test drove which both have smaller wheels here. It made sense to me due to the 17's and the fact we have a different suspension setup here in Australia which is apparently tailored to our conditions. You know, kangaroos and vegemite lying all over the place, ninja Koalas etc.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
412 Posts
the 17" wheels are the same total size as the 15"... larger wheels get thinner tires, and visa versa. both sized rims end up taking up the same amount of space in the wheel wells, and turn the same number of times per kilometer. so in terms of what is actually touching the road, there isn't really a difference.....

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's not what causes problems with bigger wheels generally speaking. It's also not an exact science. Rolling diameters are kept within tolerance, with the sidewall profile representing a percentage of the tyre width, but the extra width in the tyre is what fouls upper ball joints and so on. The S and Si models here have 185 and 195mm tread widths respectively. The SLi and SLS have 205. An extra 2cm over the base model is where possible issues may kick in.

·
Registered
'13 Rio 5-Door EX, '09 MINI Cooper S, '86 Syncro Westfalia
25 Posts
I'm in the States, and the turning circle for the SX (17's) is a full foot larger than that of the EX/LX (15's). Still, at 34.5', it's not bad.

You know, kangaroos and vegemite lying all over the place, ninja Koalas etc.
Don't you have to wrestle crocs just to get to work?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
You forgot about the Kamikaze birds we have too. If they survive they will then do a fly-by over your car and drop a fresh one right in the middle of your windscreen...

Australian's and their world leading road rage... You saw it on the TV too?? There is a guy here in VIC very similar. Ive kept his number plates in the phone. He will meet his maker one day...

Ive noticed a bigger need to do 3 point turns in the Kia compared to other cars Ive driven but it has no problems doing them

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in the States, and the turning circle for the SX (17's) is a full foot larger than that of the EX/LX (15's). Still, at 34.5', it's not bad.

Don't you have to wrestle crocs just to get to work?
i knew i wasn't crazy! well not that type of crazy anyway, thanks for the info that sounds right on the money. I don't wrestle them, fist fights only.

You forgot about the Kamikaze birds we have too. If they survive they will then do a fly-by over your car and drop a fresh one right in the middle of your windscreen...

Australian's and their world leading road rage... You saw it on the TV too?? There is a guy here in VIC very similar. Ive kept his number plates in the phone. He will meet his maker one day...

Ive noticed a bigger need to do 3 point turns in the Kia compared to other cars Ive driven but it has no problems doing them
Do you mean this guy? Attacking the ex-cop?

Heaps of insanity around on the road, i have a car cam now for recording the excitement. Catches some gold material quite regularly. Also speaking of birds, this is what happened to my Fairmont a few weeks ago 2 hours after i hand detailed it, and parked it in an UNDERCOVER carpark overnight. It was covered from head to toe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts