Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 06
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to this I need to put tyres on my sorento (06)the back ones are very good but the front need replacing.i have been told that I need to replace all 4 tyres as it would wind up the diff.if i put 2 new ones on the back and the back ones to the front will it be ok. The front prop has been taken away many thanks flopps.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
163 Posts
Hi new to this I need to put tyres on my sorento (06)the back ones are very good but the front need replacing.i have been told that I need to replace all 4 tyres as it would wind up the diff.if i put 2 new ones on the back and the back ones to the front will it be ok. The front prop has been taken away many thanks flopps.
Hi Flopps

For all its worth, I have been told the same story by tire shops looking to sell tires. the truth of the matter is that I have replaced tires in sets of 2's many, many times. as long as the tires on the same axle match in MY opinion and MY experience you will be perfectly fine.

That being said, don't use summer tires on one axle and snow tires on the other, it's important to be consistent to the best of your ability.

My RAM 1500 goes through so many tires because of the miles I drive, and it tends to wear out in the front mostly, so I always move the back tires to the front and put the brand new ones in the back.

Good luck!

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,836 Posts
It doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks about this. The answer is simple. If you don't have 4wd, you don't have to worry. Since you say:
The front prop has been taken away
you obviously don't have 4wd!

The more serious question is WHY? There is obviously an issue that is being ignored.

For the more technical, replacing in sets of 2 may depend on the actual wear of the tires remaining (there are limits regarding tread depth (or circumference to be more accurate) and the difference in rolling circumference between the old and new. Unfortunately, tire manufactures may put standard sizes on the sides of their products, but "not all tires are created equal". Ply ratings, sidewall strength (for example) will affect the effective rolling circumference (just as inflation pressure would).

As a general guide all tires should be of the same manufacture, type/brand and size on AWD (TOD) versions. Within that constraint Kia have said that 2-3mm of tread depth variation between axles should be ok on the Sorento provided the better (more tread depth) tires are fitted to the rear axle. (The guidance also tells you to rotate your tires regularly to avoid issues, but lots of people ignore that advice at their peril.)

Manual 4wd models don't matter because they are in 2wd most of the time and do not have the speed sensors that detect relative spinning of the rearwheels to activate torque transfer.

Nor does this apply to post-2010 models, for clarity, because they are different beasts altogether and different advice applies.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,844 Posts
"Sorento 06 "

AWD, V6, ........????????

Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts