Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I operate a Ceed 1.6 CRDI Auto and have just looked at the front tyres and I have just under 1mm before reaching the TWI mark and the speedo reading is under 13000 miles, there no evedence of misalinement or over/under inflation.
The car is driven 90% of the time on open roads/motorways, very rearly over 60mph and 90% on cruise control. Anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The front tyres wear more quickly on small/medium front drive cars; up to 2x wear rate of the rear. However, your wear after 20,000km does seem more than normal. Our Cerato had 2mm left above the tread wear indicators after 25,000km on the front, and 4mm left on the back. (original depth above TWI was 6mm). Similar driving conditions.

If, as you say, the pressures are correct and there is no sign of uneven wear (due to misalignment), there's not much you can do. Diesel engine is a bit heavier than petrol engine and this might make a slight difference.

Perhaps it's the brand of tyre? Tyres mentioned above are Nexen as supplied on the car. I've had good wear on similar cars with Michelin tyres (XM1 etc.).

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
My front Michelin was worn out after 19300 miles normal use I was a little surprised at this
31,000km is normal tyre life on the front; same as I would expect based on my observed wear at 25,000km (see previous post). Correponding tyre life on the rear would be at least 60,000km. Including a spare in the rotation, I expect to get 50,000km from the set.

Most people would advise tyre rotation before the front pair are completely worn; I don't rotate very often, but did it at 25,000km, calculating that this single rotation will give me a set of evenly worn tyres, including one tyre which is good enough to retain as a spare for the next set. Many people prefer to rotate every 10,000km, but I see no need for this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Wry Cuda for your reply a very knowledgeable person, I did spend two years with a Tyre Manufacture to get knowledge and moved on, I started my working life in a brewery on transport.
It was found that nothing was gained by changing tyres around, for you would have to buy four tyres against two at a time.
The car we operate is on a scheme in GB that changes the car every three years and this is our fourth car of different manufactures and I have never changed a tyre on the others with simular mileage.
The car was supplied with Michelin tyres and a space saver spare wheel
It may look as if the set up of position of the front axle is not correct due to the weight of the diesel engine

derek c

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
The front tyres wear more quickly on small/medium front drive cars; up to 2x wear rate of the rear. However, your wear after 20,000km does seem more than normal.
In recent years attempts to improve crash protection has moved engines further forward so forward weight bias has increased. Car weight has increased significantly over the last 10-15 years without an equivalent increase in tyre size.

(An 1100kg car with 185 tyres has a much better rubber to weight ratio than 1500kg and 205 tyres.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
In recent years attempts to improve crash protection has moved engines further forward so forward weight bias has increased. Car weight has increased significantly over the last 10-15 years without an equivalent increase in tyre size.
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. My personal car is a Nissan Maxima, which has a fairly even weight distribution (particularly when fully loaded) and the suspension seems to be well designed. Tyre wear at 15,000km is equal on front and back apart from slight cornering wear on the edges of the front, and that's the only reason to rotate the tyres.

Usually, I buy new (front) tyres in pairs and do very little rotation; that's easiest on the pocket. For the Cerato, I'm intending to replace the OEM tyres with a full set of Michelin, so I'm attempting to get even wear all around. Might get a special deal if I buy a set of 4 or 5.

·
Registered
kia ceed SW GT line MY 2018
138 Posts
Here we go then:
I've done 41000 miles and am on the 4th pair of tyres on the front.
michelins lasted 16000 then semperit 12000 toyo 10000 and now have some GT tyres, whoever they are. No alignment problems just wore them out, plain and simple.

Chris

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ace Demon & chris ie, I think you both have the answer and Kia like fuel consumption are avoiding it.
It is known that if the centre line of the engine is in front of the front axle it will incease tyre wear. If the engine centre is back from the front axle it shares some of the weight with the rear tyres.

chris ie, it is known that Michelin has the best mileage but not so good on grip, if you require grip but short mileage. Avon. thats why they are OE on RR and Bentleys

·
Registered
246 Posts
Like with fuel consumption no 2 drivers ever get the same mileage. We all drive different routes on different roads and different tarmac has an effect on tyre wear. Some drivers pull away like its essential they get to the next juction first and corner like its essential they don't loose any speed whatsoever, they will wear their tyres faster than drivers who take a more measured approach.

Some brands last longer than others and some brands have more grip than others, the choice is yours.

But a full tank of fuel in a Ceed (53 litres) costs about £73 and lasts about 800 miles if you are lucky (@ 50 mpg), about 9 pence a mile. The last 4 tyres I bought (205 55 16 Khumo) cost £220 which is approx 3 times the cost of a tank full but would hopefully last 25,000 miles providing I rotate them, less than 1 pence a mile.

To me tyres are cheap considering what they do. Wish fuel cost the same per mile.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
I managed 40,000 miles from the original Michelins with a front/rear swap at 20,000. All four approx wore out together.

I know that means i had to replace all 4 in one go which is a bit of a hit on the pocket but im happier to be driving on a set 0f 4 matched tyres. I swapped the Michelins for Goodyear Excellence which although having a ridiculous name seem to be a very good tyre. 10,000 miles on them so far and no complaints from me. I would happily use them again.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
I managed 40,000 miles from the original Michelins with a front/rear swap at 20,000. All four approx wore out together.

I know that means i had to replace all 4 in one go which is a bit of a hit on the pocket but im happier to be driving on a set 0f 4 matched tyres. I swapped the Michelins for Goodyear Excellence which although having a ridiculous name seem to be a very good tyre. 10,000 miles on them so far and no complaints from me. I would happily use them again.
what goodyear style are you using now?

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
I got 50k out of the front and the backs have done over 60k, so 13k seems very low. I have an Ecodynamics which is fitted with Michelin Energy Saver 2 tyres which are known to last well.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts