Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sorento is new from last September, It has 10500 miles on the clock I had the misfortune to suffer a first puncture on the M1 yesterday. Having sussed out how to lower the spare wheel everything went well until I tried to get the punctured wheel off, it wouldn't budge and was on solid. I rang the RAC and he came out within 40 mins (excellent) the patrol advised that as the wheels are alloy and the wheel hub steel with a combination of heat and wet weather a chemical reaction takes place and the wheel and hub get 'stuck' together. A quick bash with a soft mallet the wheel was freed, and changed over successfully.
I thought I would advise others if in a similar position for the first time either carry some tools ie a mallet or call the breakdown patrol to help, and not to panic as this is quite common, however not just with sorento wheels but any car with alloy's. the patrol also advised that a solution for this is to have a suitable grease smeared on the hubs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
yep seen it befor, use something called "neverseize compound" around the problem mating surfaces.

i also use it on the lug threads and have for many years on all my vehicles :banana:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good tip. Wasn't aware of this. I'll apply a very thin coating of heavy grease on the mating surfaces when I have my ties rotated.

Thanks to both of you. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happened to me couple off weeks back on the M8 near Edinburgh, had to get the RAC out also. The only thing I didn't have in the boot was the mallet but every other tool under the sun as that was in my truck at work, in the boot now thou..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts