Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so,...who are you, and what do you do? B)

to get away from the idea that Kia drivers are sad cheapo bottom feeders...

lets try to get the profile of people on here...

I work in Radio ( see....a bloke...working in Radio....Radiobloke!)
I'm a Sponsorship & Promotions Manager...just turned 37, living in Nottinghamshire working in Sheffield....

I don't have or wish to own a caravan!

For the last 5 years I've raced motorcycles so I consider myself quite 'up for it' and far from the wooly hat wearing birdwatcher that my mates think I am by driving a Sorento....

I'm quite cool and funky....I still think I'm 22 although the grey often gives the game away :blink:

so exactly who does by one....and why?

I bought mine cos I was bored with the go-cart type of sports car and liked the big bad image of a 4x4, and they look SO good in black!!

love the torque and once I get a towbar fitted the bike will look cool on the back of the trailer

what about you :haha:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a man, drive a Sorento hence Sorentoman.

I'm a management consultant, live in Coalville, Leicestershire and work wherever the client is. This year I've worked in Tokyo, Singapore, Dublin, Stockholm and London.

I have never believed in the status symbol car, the Sorento is only the second car that I've bought new and is probably the best car that I've owned. It is the ONLY car that people have stopped me to ask about it.

I'm 52 and don't care, married, happy and hard working. I love the look on Lexus RX300 drivers when they see the Sorento!

We bought a Sorento because we wanted a change from the run of the mill, because we wanted something that would tow well, go well and look great - it does.

That enough?

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
hi, i am in my 50's, early retiered and just dooing what i want to do with out a boss anymore (except the wife)

i keep busy kayaking, geocaching, camping and hiking.

we could have afforded any SUV, but the sorento fit my spects the closest.

buy the way, i just picked it up from the dealer, they replaced the engine, radio, and some other stuff, why the other stuff?

but the a/c did not work and they left part of the red pos. battery terminal insulator off, but these problums were quickly fixed.

And if the horns "cherp" by themselves again it will be "lemon law" time

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
19 Posts
;) :p I am 27, and live in San Diego California.
I work for a lil company you might have heard of called Hewlett Packard. I work in the "research & development" area. I work with/operate a digital printing press and all of the components that come along with it. Its kinda of like a really big (and expensive) printer.

I love muscle cars, Import tuners, baja trucks, damn near anything with 4 wheels!

I a a mutt when it comes to music..I listen to a lil bit of everything, but I have a passion for 80's hair metal, and heavy metal in general! That would be where the Sorentorocker name comes from.

Since getting married and aquiring a step son, I needed a vehicle that would hold the family plus any other additions we decided to make (my 2nd son was born in Feb). The Sorento is the first vehicle I didn't just "settle for". I saw one decided I wanted it and went for it! :thumbsup:

Only problem is the "Modifying bug" has bitten me as it always does. It is time to personalize my Sorie!

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi folks

I'm 52 live in Alexandra, Central Otago, New Zealand. Work from home as an Architectural designer, hobby is gliding and I instruct (unpaid) and fly (own my own ingle seater glider) from the local airfield. Have had various vehicles over the years from a mini, MG midget, through to Toyota Hi-Ace campervan. Currently have a Nissan Mistral that has been traded against the Sorento which is on its way from Korea and a Mazda Astina V6 which I intend to keep (pocket rocket).

Why the Sorento ? Nissan's getting a bit long in the tooth though does a great job (2.7l intercooled turbo diesel), wanted a bit more luxury / higher spec and thought it was just a good time for a change. Tried the LandRover Freelander (wouldn't pull a hen off a nest) and Jeep Cherokee (felt like driving a roller skate, positively dangerous over about 80 Km (50 MPH)). Almost gave up finding a good new diesel 4WD that wasn't the size of the Queen Mary until I found the Sorento, it has the lot as far as I'm concerned, can't wait for it to arrive !!!!

Anyone wo'd like to see a bit more of NZ, gliding etc is welcome to have a look at our pics at
http://community.webshots.com/user/bussells

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys,
Im in the uk my name is greg (ill let you work the rest out :blink: )
I am the owner of a small air con company always liked the look of the sorento but was going to buy a Landcruiser ! however had a look at kia at motor show and was impressed then had test drive at dealers, the only reason not to buy it was badge and thats no reason at all !
Its exceeded all my expectations and 3 friends associates now have them.
Tows well good on and off road probably one of the best cars ive had and Ive had a few!
Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 38..up until 6 months ago, I was a contractor for a security and logistics company working for the Department of Defense.

I have done that for 6 years after leaving Law Enforcement to do it. I have driven Surburbans in some fairly crappy places, at high speed, nose to tail in a convoy. Which takes a bit of getting used to having to not do that when we are going with friends on trips...they don't like being tailgated... ;)

I have a degree in Law Enforcement and Military History from Indiana University and have spent my time in Law Enforcement as a K9 handler and as a back up long range rifleman/observer on a small county/metro SWAT team.

I spend many hours shooting and being in the outdoors. The current crop of US SUV's do nothing for me and and I do not need the larger landbarges. It holds enough ammuntion and small arms for a day as the range.

The KIA met my needs and to honest the warrenty is what sold me. That and the best bang for your buck in the class aspect.

I wanted a body on truck frame not a uni-body. I wanted a good, robust off-roader, with enough cargo space for me, the lady, 2 kids and gear.

All and all, I'm very happy with the Sorento and will be adding a hitch for the John Boat and buying a few needed things, like a cargo liner and winter mats.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
I am 27 and live in Sacramento, California. I got a Sorento because my girlfriend wanted it. She liked the color, the fact that it was a manual, and the overall styling didn't hurt. The only thing I don't like about the sorento (other than the lack of dealer suport) is the fact that not alot of companies make aftermarket parts for it. I am still looking for a clear third brake light.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just read the replies so far

seems that a common thread is that we all DO things....race bikes, gliding, shooting, etc

so, far from growing old gracefully.....we are all growing old but staying young!

nice !! :57: :p :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi I’m Dave and I’m 43 years old and I live in North Bay region of California and work the Atomic Energy Commission. I don’t Hunt, Golf, Skydive, Fish, walk, Run or wrestle Great White sharks on my day’s off because I virtually never get a day off so I set my sorry ass down and relax. We drive a 2005 Sorento (which we love) and 2004 Honda Civic (which is junk). Moreover, I’m in debt up to my eyeballs.

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
33 and married for 9 years.

I'm a manager in a call centre that supports Fortune 500 companies with technical support.

I have a 3 year old and another coming in a month and a half. I also have an 8 year old Golden Retriever that was our "first child" (although she hates the Sorento) . She can't get in and since we bought it she rearley goes anywhere with us (I don't want to get hair in this vehicle.)

I just traded in an 02 Sedona that I liked very well but had too much room and lets face it was a minivan. (Not slamming them just saying)

I like the fact it has 4WD if I need it and all the space I need. That said I did buy a cargo box for the roof rack just in case. I find the fuel mileage to be as expected do therefore no issues there.

I love F1 and Champ Car but yet hate NASCAR and IRL (although I respect the drivers) I have been a Gilles Villenuve fan since child hood and that developed to a following for Jacques. And as a typical Canuck I love hockey (haven't seen any in a while) and being in Ontario a fan of the Leafs (the only team :innocent: )

I absoulutely love Exotic cars primarily Ferrari's but love the true muscle car (read pre '70's.)

That's me in a nut shell...hope it helps.

·
Registered
Sorento EX3500V6, LC80, Mitsu Space Gr
44 Posts
I'm 33 yrs old and live in Manila, Philippines. I do consultancy work on Risk Management for high tech investments. I tow a jetski with my Sorento on weekends and load my bike up to a mountain trail every chance I get (once, twice a week). I've also taken the Sorento on several off-road expeidtions, including some hairy jaunts to rocky 30 degree ascents (and descents). 25,000kms and some major offroad treks later, my Sorento is still cathedral quiet inside. It's length fits exactly in my already packed garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The responses so far seem to suggest that there is no "typical" Sorento driver, although there are a disturbingly high number of repsonses from crew in their 50's.

Having said that, I'm nearly 50 myself! I bought my Sorento to get me to the surf and I spend most weekends cruising remote beaches of Western Australia looking for the best waves. During the week I am a management consultant acting very straight and official - but after work give my Sorent and my surfboard and anyone would think I was a tenty something.

My Sorento performs so well on the beach - I love it when I have to rescue a Toyota or Nissan!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Doesn’t anybody here work anymore? It sounds like you all are living the high life. Maybe it just me and my never-ending story of a job (damn it sucks sometimes). I get stuck working 16 hour shift everyday (it seems like it) and all you guys are living it up big time in the woods or on the beach somewhere. Sound like one of you guys needs to get me a job like yours so I can kick it just like you. Ok enough sniveling on my part.

Dave
:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'm 47 i live in wales uk which for all you who think the uk is just england well ther is scotland aswell i am a special neads foster dad looking after children with learning dificulties, myself and my wife have been doing this for 10yrs and yes it is a 24/7 job but we love it, we have just lost2 children of 2yrs and his brother of 5yrs they were returned to there mum, miss them loads but we still have 2 other children one 8yrs and another 16. So you can see why i had to have a big car and a lovely one it is to regards to you all phil :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm 29 -- bringing the average age down a bit. :p

Work as a telecoms consultant during the day, and a dive instructor by night and on the weekends. :) Comfortable seating for five, and lots of room in the bag for five complete sets of dive gear and overnight bags, and then some -- perfect.

Also use the Sorento for packing sports gear in the back, when I'm not out diving -- football (soccer) shoes and balls, training shoes and gear for volleyball, badminton, and futsal. Some days I stay out all day cross-training, so the car becomes my own little sports closet.

Love the roomy interior. So much space to store all the little things that I need for day-to-day driving and for long hauls. Favorite mod -- iPod wired to the stereo, and mounted on the dash. :) Music and the open road, on the way to the ocean. The life. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am early 60,s and just bought my Sorento this week to replace an ageing Shogun, and yes, it is to tow my fairly heavy caravan. I am extremely pleased with the Sorento, it is very quiet and refined after driving the Shogun which although never missed a beat in two years , its performance was somewhat , how shall I put it, agricultural !. To have Climate contol and Cruise control again is pure motoring heaven ! A smooth diesel connected thro auto transmission with a roomy cab and spacios luggage compartment all go toward making our holidays ,a nd indeed my daily drive to work all the more enjoyable. I am pleased to be a new member of this forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a 30 year old female attorney living in downtown Chicago. I traded my Lexus RX330 for a Kia Sorento EX, and couldn't be happier. I don't tow any jet skis or bikes. The most rugged thing I subject my Kia to is putting my sandy wet dog in the back after the beach. He's probably the only one that misses the Lexus - it had a nice set of air vents in the back of the console that he loved to put his snout up against during long drives.

Oh, and I've already had an in-dash nav system installed (but fighting with a better ipod adapter), and my new grill and wheel caps are on their way. I've never customized any cars I've previously owned. I don't know if that's because they already had everything I wanted, or because I'm more interested in the Sorento than I was in the others. I mean, EVERYONE has a Lexus around here, whereas I've only seen two Sorentos in the past two weeks driving around. I was tempted to take off all the labels and put on a blank grill just to make everyone wonder what I was driving, but where would the fun be in that?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts