Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L GDI; 2011 Toyota Prius Three
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to my local dealer a few weeks ago where I had purchased my Sorento to get my mpg rebate. The service manager asked why I hadn't brought my Sorento in for the previous oil change service and rebuked me for it. I had actually taken it to another shop that I trust because the last time I took it to the dealer he asked if I wanted to have the tires rotated ... for $40. Since the other shop only charges $20 (and, since the local Toyota dealer charges me zip to rotate the tires on my Toyota), I thought $40 seemed like a lot to charge when I like to have my tires rotated with my oil changes. Not THAT big a deal but a good savings nonetheless.

Well, I wasn't in the mood that morning to get into all this -- I just wanted to pick up my rebate and go. But the service manager said in that rebuking tone that the Sorento oil filter is "special" (ie, I needed a Kia-branded filter) and that if anything happens as a result of the other shop's oil filter KIA would not honor my warranty. [Of course, I realize if some shop wrecks the engine Kia isn't going to honor the warranty, but that's a little different than not honoring the warranty for a non-Kia branded oil filter].

I told the guy that I wouldn't have taken the Sorento somewhere else except for the fact he said it would cost $40 to have the tires rotated. Then he said, that's only if you have them balanced. (The other shop and Toyota put the tires on the machine w/out charging $40). He also said he was 60 years old and he can tell me that that's just the way it is, blah blah blah. Yeah, well, I'm 47, not 19.

Anyway, I almost wondered if the whole rebate thing was just to get me in the dealership to plug for more money, like so many commonly do. But I don't really trust this service manager because he seemed like he was being dishonest with that tone. But the only other local dealership is clear across town so it would be inconvenient to have my oil changed there. I could keep taking it to the shop I trust that doesn't overcharge for stuff -- but if something *does* happen now I'm sure this dealership will look for every excuse not to honor the warranty.

I've noticed more and more lately that dealerships get their hair in a bunch when you take vehicles to other shops for routine maintenance, but really, they need to be able to compete with them rather than threatening their customers.

Sorry for the rant ... it just bugged me that it seemed so over-the-top for not taking my Kia there for service. Would you keep taking your vehicle to the other shop under his threat of not honoring the warranty?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sounds like the Service Manager is an AH. The scheduled service charge should cover most minor things like wheels.

From what I've read, KIA filters are to be preferred, but you can always just buy the filter and get your Toyota man to use it during the oil change. Keep the receipt for the filter.

I'm intending to use a local mechanic to do the next service on my KIA. Total charge is likely to be $140 (including my oil and KIA filter). KIA service would be $450; an expensive oil change.

It does sound a bit steep to charge $40 or even $20 to rotate the tyres. Usually the wheels will be off during the service (check brakes etc.) and it's no real chore to swap them around.

I've hardly ever bothered to get the wheels balanced during their service life. Sometimes a wheel might lose a balance weight, but otherwise there's no reason to worry.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Sounds alot like my Service Manager too. It's hard to find a dealership that has decent management. They're like a unicorn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re: Default Typical Dealer Experience (?)

There was none of this when I bought my last Porsche (from Roger Beasley Porsche in Austin)...very refreshing. But I have heard from others that the tire & wheel insurance is a good idea if your part of the country is known for its bad roads.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Its your choice if you want to go aftermarket. There is nothing that says you can't. Make sure you save all documentation if you have it serviced elsewhere, whether it be a repair order, etc, that shows specifically what oil and filter were used. Maybe buy a Kia filter and have it used instead of whatever they normally use.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Buy the Kia filter, and save the receipts. I think the Kia filter costs $8, or right around there, so it's not a real big deal. It's true, I have yet to find an aftermarket filter that exactly matches the OEM filter for my Sedonas and Amanti (same style as Sorento). It could easily be worth it to go across town to the other dealer....then again, I'm used to driving 60 miles one-way to the dealer, so it's easy for me to say.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
This is why I never ever go to a dealer for anything that isn't a warranty-related repair (and even THEN I think twice).

Autos in general have gotten so much more reliable that stealerships are constantly trying to find ways to keep their service folks busy (at your expense).

I just rotate my tires and change the oil myself. It saves me a bit of cash and at least then I know it got done correctly and on MY schedule. With a pair of $40 jacks and an air impact gun, I think it took me all of about 10 minutes to rotate my tires. The oil change took even less time and I used an OEM filter from a local dealer with full synthetic oil...as opposed to the low bidder bulk conventional oil that you'd likely get if you let them do it.

Best,

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
my dealer is great and been using them for over 5 years and now on my second KIA and as long as they treat me well, they will continue to get my patronage.

They are fair on their charges and don't do anything I don't want, but do sometimes offer suggestions. I get discount coupons from Kia Canada for accessories and service and also have the Kia Reward points, which covers items too. Now with this fuel rebate I will be getting that will probably covered all my future service charges. I only go in for service once every six months and also all my oil changes are covered for as long as I own the vehicle and get it serviced at that dealership.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My dealer has also been outstanding and extremely trustworthy. Have been dealing with them for nearly 7 years now, have been responsible for at least 10 car sales for them (myself/family), and am always greeted by first name. The parts manager gives me good deals on parts, and the service manager has never ONCE tried to upsell any kind of service to me. Any warranty claim I have ever had was taken care of without ANY question, even a new transmission in my Optima...and I didn't even have receipts from doing my own maintenance. Dealer never hesitates to read or clear codes for free, loan me Kia-specific tools when I need them, and has always given me a loaner any time warranty work was required. I am very lucky to have such a great dealership to go to, but I have to drive 60 miles to get there. It amazes me how awful many dealer service departments can be...or how they can manage to retain customers.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
My dealer has also been outstanding and extremely trustworthy. Have been dealing with them for nearly 7 years now, have been responsible for at least 10 car sales for them (myself/family), and am always greeted by first name. The parts manager gives me good deals on parts, and the service manager has never ONCE tried to upsell any kind of service to me. Any warranty claim I have ever had was taken care of without ANY question, even a new transmission in my Optima...and I didn't even have receipts from doing my own maintenance. Dealer never hesitates to read or clear codes for free, loan me Kia-specific tools when I need them, and has always given me a loaner any time warranty work was required. I am very lucky to have such a great dealership to go to, but I have to drive 60 miles to get there. It amazes me how awful many dealer service departments can be...or how they can manage to retain customers.
You are one of the lucky few, that dealership sounds great almost makes me wanna drive up from Grand Rapids to get my service done there.:lol:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Actually, my aunt who lives in Marne purchased her Borrego V8 in Traverse City, and gets service work done there. She said the one time she went to Keller Kia, she waited over 10 minutes before anyone even greeted her, and that was enough to lose her business. I find it interesting that Keller locks all the vehicles on the lot...is that common practice for dealerships to lock all of the cars on the lot? I was quite surprised the one time I stopped in there.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Actually, my aunt who lives in Marne purchased her Borrego V8 in Traverse City, and gets service work done there. She said the one time she went to Keller Kia, she waited over 10 minutes before anyone even greeted her, and that was enough to lose her business. I find it interesting that Keller locks all the vehicles on the lot...is that common practice for dealerships to lock all of the cars on the lot? I was quite surprised the one time I stopped in there.
Ha, yea Keller is where i got my sorento and they do lock all there cars I did notice that. Many sketchy apartment complexes close by and bus stops right around there lot and lots of people desperate for money and will do anything including ripping out radios, airbags, whatever they can out of unlocked cars. Pathetic and sad but I cant really blame the dealership. Just stealing the floormats or radio out of sorento is probably worth some quick money.<_<
When I go for service its fine, and by that I mean the usual dealership bs, but its the closest Kia dealer so I have little choice. Fortunately I have been lucky so far and only have needed standard maintainence stuff.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
There is NO reason to use a Kia filter, as long as you document the oil changes (and even if you don't). My 06 was in the dealership 3 or 4 times for warranty work, and never was I asked about maintenance schedule or asked to provide proof of anything.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
There is NO reason to use a Kia filter, as long as you document the oil changes (and even if you don't). My 06 was in the dealership 3 or 4 times for warranty work, and never was I asked about maintenance schedule or asked to provide proof of anything.
Warranty will not cover an engine failure if it is determined that the aftermarket filter is the cause.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
There was a TSB for using OEM oil filters. If you look at the Kia one and an aftermarket filter side-by-side, you will notice that they are different. The aftermarket one lets the oil drain back into the engine and the Kia one does not.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There was a TSB for using OEM oil filters. If you look at the Kia one and an aftermarket filter side-by-side, you will notice that they are different. The aftermarket one lets the oil drain back into the engine and the Kia one does not.
I have two Sedonas and an Amanti (same oil set-up as Sorento), and I have yet to find an aftermarket filter that is exactly the same as the OEM filter. I have looked at WIX, Purolator, different auto part store brands...and while they are extremely similar, none of them are exactly the same. WIX was the closest, and I have used it on occasion, but it's more expensive than the OEM, so why bother?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul Base
2 Posts
NC-Sorento, your experience is why I hadn't bought a new car in over a decade. Here in Denver we have one major problem group (Doug) and others who are fantastic.

I went to Peak Kia for used and ended up with new for almost less than used would have been. Their customer service and follow up since I bought my sweet Soul has been fantastic!

Now, to give you an example of why the dealership is important, landlord came over yesterday so we could renew lease and he commented about the Soul and when I mentioned "Doug" he said he and wife had conversation 20 minutes earlier because her car was from one of Doug's dealerships and they were having MAJOR issues.

I love my Kia Soul, but I also think everyone should look at the dealership they buy from. It shouldn't be that way but think of franchises; I'd buy the colonel's chicken in one state but not another...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Ha, yea Keller is where i got my sorento and they do lock all there cars I did notice that. Many sketchy apartment complexes close by and bus stops right around there lot and lots of people desperate for money and will do anything including ripping out radios, airbags, whatever they can out of unlocked cars. Pathetic and sad but I cant really blame the dealership. Just stealing the floormats or radio out of sorento is probably worth some quick money.<_<
When I go for service its fine, and by that I mean the usual dealership bs, but its the closest Kia dealer so I have little choice. Fortunately I have been lucky so far and only have needed standard maintainence stuff.
Have you tried Fox? I have heard almost NOTHING about them. All I know is that they are DeVos owned, and people typically steer clear of the DeVos dealerships in Traverse City and Cadillac.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Have you tried Fox? I have heard almost NOTHING about them. All I know is that they are DeVos owned, and people typically steer clear of the DeVos dealerships in Traverse City and Cadillac.
My dad takes his Sante Fe there, from what I can tell I would like them even less then Keller. Hes had a rattle somewhere in the front of his santa fe ever since he bought it new from them a couple years ago and they have never rectefied it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX 2.4L GDI; 2011 Toyota Prius Three
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the good replies. I apologize for not responding sooner -- I was gone for a day.

The irony of my "rant" is that I was perfectly happy having the dealership maintain the vehicle. In fact, I would have preferred having them do it and they were always good to get it done and out for the first year. The $40 wheel rotation is the only reason I took it elsewhere. To have the same guy rebuke me for taking it elsewhere....admittedly I got pretty upset at him, especially since all I was doing that morning was picking up my rebate. I also have a Toyota and Toyo has rotated the tires for free, so that $40 just seemed like a steep up-sell gimmick. The "I'm 60 and I know life better than you" business just solidified my impression. Anyway, because of that encounter I'll likely not purchase another vehicle there and continue taking my chances having the oil changed/tires rotated elsewhere. If there's a warranty issue they won't honor, that'll be it for KIA for me. Which is really too bad since I like the vehicle -- but there has to be a good relationship as well. I've gotten such honest and stellar service at the other shop and the Toyota dealership -- maybe I've been spoiled by it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts