Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. My wife and I just purchased a 2013 Kia Soul!. I have two questions. It has the low rider wheels/tires. We would like to replace them with regular wheels/tires. (I already scratched the alloy wheels by driving next to a curb!) Do we just replace the tires or must we replace the wheels too? We have 18' wheels.

Second question: Oem Kia Superstore has a 18' donut spare tire kit for $205. Has anyone purchased from them and how did your spare tire kit work out?
OEM 2010 2011 2012 2013 Kia Soul Factory 18" Spare Tire Kit # 09100 2K993 and UKH16 12580T. Complete Kit includes Spare Tire, 18" Steel Wheel, Jack, Lug Wrench, Bar Tool, Tire Pressure Label, and Hard Foam Tool Organizer!

So far, we just love this car!

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

HD Humeston

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Best option for the soul is 15 inch wheels with something like 195/65-15 tyres. You will need 5 new wheels (one for the spare). You can probably get a spare "kit" minus the wheel & tyre. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use your 18s. I've seen a complete set of 15s with unused tyres advertised for $50, so you might be lucky.

We have a Cerato which is similar mechanically to the Soul, and I bought the low-end version specifically because it had 15 inch wheels (steel). Tyres are cheaper than the alternative 215/45-17s and the ride is better.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
you will find the compact spare for the 18" wheels is actually a 16", look at page 8/3 in your owners manual. I have the 16" compact spare (standard here in Canada) and my model comes standard with the 18" rims.

Replacing just the tires will only give you what you already have, which you said you want to replace the rims. Do you mean just regular steel rims or different set of alloys. You can switch to the 16" complete wheel set (tire and rim) which is standard on the + model. The 16" and 18" are almost identical in diameter, its just that on the 16" there is more tire width.

here's the 16" wheels that are on the + model

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Best option for the soul is 15 inch wheels with something like 195/65-15 tyres. You will need 5 new wheels (one for the spare). You can probably get a spare "kit" minus the wheel & tyre. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use your 18s. I've seen a complete set of 15s with unused tyres advertised for $50, so you might be lucky.

We have a Cerato which is similar mechanically to the Soul, and I bought the low-end version specifically because it had 15 inch wheels (steel). Tyres are cheaper than the alternative 215/45-17s and the ride is better.
the Cerato is mechanically similar to the Forte in North America not the Soul. We don't have full size spares in our vehicles for North America.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacing tires/rims 2013 Kia Soul

Yes, we are considering replacing both tire and rims. We do not like how low the tire is and the rims too. Scratched one parking today. I was hoping we could buy 18" rims and regular tires. It won't look "cool" but we are not cool anyway, at least not at our age. We love the Soul mostly because it is so practical. Want practical rims/tires too.

I guess if we could not use 18" rims and we moved down to 15 the car itself would probably be lower to the ground? Again, not what we are looking for. We don't take this off road, but we do take it on dirt roads from time to time, so need the clearance.

Thanks again for any ideas.

HD Humeston

you will find the compact spare for the 18" wheels is actually a 16", look at page 8/3 in your owners manual. I have the 16" compact spare (standard here in Canada) and my model comes standard with the 18" rims.

Replacing just the tires will only give you what you already have, which you said you want to replace the rims. Do you mean just regular steel rims or different set of alloys. You can switch to the 16" complete wheel set (tire and rim) which is standard on the + model. The 16" and 18" are almost identical in diameter, its just that on the 16" there is more tire width.

here's the 16" wheels that are on the + model

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
you need to stick to sizes recommended for the vehicle otherwise your speedo and odometer readers would be too far out. You best bet is the 16", won't change the ground clearance, and really won't make much difference with the 15" either.

Check some of the tire sites for sizes for your vehicle and with rims you have to make sure there is sufficient clearance for the brake calipers, etc.

we have a member Cobra259, who is a parts manager for a dealership in the US and will sell you a spare tire kit at a good price, many member on this forum and others have purchased from him.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
As Conwelpic advised, tyres + rims have to add up to about the same overall diameter. High profile tyres on the18s would not fit in the wheel arches; and if they did, the gearing/speedo would be all wrong.

P.S. My reading suggests that Cerato is just an alternate name for the Forte (That name had already been grabbed by Ford Australia).

Ford Falcon Forte ("Strong") was the base model starting about 2000, in an attempt to revive the fortunes of the much-disliked original AU Falcon. Power output of the base model was slightly more than the equivalent GM Holden (157kW vs. 147kW), hence "Strong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AU_Falcon

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
As Conwelpic advised, tyres + rims have to add up to about the same overall diameter. High profile tyres on the18s would not fit in the wheel arches; and if they did, the gearing/speedo would be all wrong.

PS My reading suggests that Cerato is just an alternate name for the Forte (That name had already been grabbed by Ford Australia).
I wondered why they didn't call it Forte in Australia :D

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. I forgot about all the other factors. We may have to keep the setup we have, but since I love hitting curbs I'm afraid my wife won't let me drive it anymore! LOL.

We will look at the 16 inch rims too just in case.

Thanks for the tip about the spare tire kit too.

HD Humeston

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Thanks for the information. I forgot about all the other factors. We may have to keep the setup we have, but since I love hitting curbs I'm afraid my wife won't let me drive it anymore! LOL.

We will look at the 16 inch rims too just in case.

Thanks for the tip about the spare tire kit too.

HD Humeston
remember curb feelers? :D - cheap way to go. $10 - $20 and you can safely drive the Soul again ;)

curb feelers | eBay

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
your welcome, if I may suggest, it would be helpful to us for future conversations if you could fill out your DRIVES profile on the left with details of your Soul - thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts