Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks the car developed a "wobbling" sound from the front drive shaft area at speeds over 40mph. It sounds like a worn wheel bearing but as there is no movement/feeling of vibration in the steering wheel and slight steering wheel pressure left or right does not change it its probably a CV joint. Booked it into the dealer to look at on Tue this week. But this weekend the Cruise Control has also gone faulty. It switches on but only sets and resumes intermittently. Sometime when you push the switch up to accelerate the car starts jerking and then the cruise turns off, similar with decelerate.

Granted I have done 62k miles but it is only 23 months old. Since I have had it I have also had the following faults

1. Faulty electric window
2. Rear shock absorbers replaced at 20k and 60k

Now that said when I had so called premium company cars both my Audi A4 and Saab 93 had faults, but over the last 10 years I have had the following cars all with similar use and mileage:

1. Rover 75 SE - Noisy clutch bearing at 5k miles
2. Mondeo Ghia X - Fault Free
3. Chrysler 300C - Fault Free
4. Jeep Patriot - Throttle body/EGR needed cleaning at 80k due to CEL (warranty was only 60k)

So overall the Kia with 5 faults so far has been the worst.

·
Registered
ceed sw 2008
42 Posts
luck.had many cars some with unreal service history when i brought them some with no history,no history when first started driving 25 plus years ago.low miles high miles no guarantees with any car.if having problems you think you shouldnt cut your loses and move on.myself have ceed estate nearly 3 years and have changed 2 droplinks under warrenty,if had no warrenty would have paid for it to be done.do not expect to drive any car and never have a problem...best vehicle i ever had was an astra works van in 1996 with 180000 miles on it never serviced never broke down.whats to say the person who got your mondeo ghia x had all sorts of problems with it..

·
Registered
273 Posts
So you have had a 5 faults that kia have sorted under warranty. After 62,000 miles most cars have had a few faults. In an average motorists life that would be 6 years.

Time to start moaning is if Kia refuse to sort surely. If they sort things lets congratulate them.

To me it looks like you are trying to start another "hate" thread rather than a constructive thread.

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
I had a problem with my cruise control operation my dealer adjusted it some how? and cured the problem briefly but it returned and dealer replaced the switches etc.straight away and it's been ok for around a year now,what tyres have you on your car?mine has 225/17" low profiles which on some/most road surfaces give a noise that sounds like a whining bearing.My passenger window is very slow in operation always has been but I haven't told dealer yet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The dealer has noted 3 faults and ordered parts - cruise control switch, replacement window switch faulty and CV joint).

That will equal 6 warranty repairs in 2 years or 60k. I do not consider that good reliability. Even if you take into account that some people would do that mileage in 5 years that would be over one repair per year which is still not good and I (not based on any science) would expect less faults on a high mileage newer car than an older one with the same mileage. As I said the Ceed is the least reliable car I have had out of the last 5, all with similar usage. That is it has already had 5 more faults than any other (and two had zero faults in 90k miles). While repairs being done are good each requires two visits to the dealer at my inconvenience so I see no need to congratulate Kia for honouring a contractual warranty commitment. I would congratulate them for a reliable car.

I don't appear alone on this. The Ceed came top in the JD Power 2010 survey but in 2011 was reported As "Disaster! Last year the Cee’d won this class on its debut showing. This year it has slumped. A long list of gripes included mechanical problems with the brakes, handbrake, wipers and door locks. What a difference a year makes (last year owners rated the mechanicals as rock-solid)." JD Power rated the Ceed "below average" for reliability. See http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/Skoda/23511112541.jpg

Probably Kia had some quality issues in the factory in 2009/10 that they have now addressed, it seems to happen that some manufacturers quality dips and then recovers.

I think in the early 80s when improving reliability driven by the Japanese manufacturers became a common topic, the car not breaking down became the consideration of reliability rather niggles, knocks and noises but today I believe that people expect a new car to be not just reliable but fault free for many years, perhaps its just what I have experienced with my last cars as the Rover aside they have all reached 80k without any non-routine work.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
98 Posts
to Luckydave: just use some silicon spray to spray the guiding frame of a car window. i have had that problem at winter where the window would go very slowly to half and then lower down...
i used some silicon spray and never had that problem again...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a problem with my cruise control operation my dealer adjusted it some how
They told me they had cleaned the switch contacts and that should make it better but said it really needed a new switch so they ordered one. It was a lot better after they cleaned it but still occasonaly does not work.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Shame you've had another 3 issues, but very glad they're fixing them FOC.
Surely the point here is, these are warranty repairs. If your CV joint, Cruise and Electric Window had gone faulty on the Ford, Audi or Jeep after 62k miles you'd expect to pay <>£1000 to get them fixed, or just fix the CV and put up with the others ;)

I totally agree that 6 faults in 62,000 miles is quite a lot, but then my pro did 30k in 18 months and the only issue I had was drivers door speaker!

It's always been the case that some specific cars develop more faults than their siblings for no apparent reason.
Likewise I bet there's many cars exactly like yours that have done 60k and only been to Kia for servicing!

As said above, it's all a case of Luck really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts