Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2.9LX 2003
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First one seized completely. No idea what was wrong but it completely ruined the belt as expected.

Got a replacement from scrapyard. One month later it looks like the pulley has come out too far from the alternator body so its knackered.

Just wondered - could be unlucky that replacement was a dud but what can I check to ensure its not something else causing this problem (like the other pulleys maybe?)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
First one seized completely. No idea what was wrong but it completely ruined the belt as expected.

Got a replacement from scrapyard. One month later it looks like the pulley has come out too far from the alternator body so its knackered.

Just wondered - could be unlucky that replacement was a dud but what can I check to ensure its not something else causing this problem (like the other pulleys maybe?)

Any ideas?
Old school, * this is for sighting / quick alignment, not precision alignment..

Need:

A straight edge (ruler),

A piece of dowel (wood or metal), sized to fit in the pulley groove, long enough to span each pulley. (get multiple dowels if you want to visually verify between long spans top/bottom.)

Use a straight edge to ensure each dowel is true,

Use a straight edge to ensure all pulley faces are vertical,

Use a straight edge to visually sight between each pulley center line, checking for offset,

Use a dowel between each pulley to make sure there is no twist or angle, the dowels should seat without issue - if not find out why and correct.

Or find a shop w/ a -precision laser pulley alignment tool- and have them check the pulleys.

--
It could bad luck that the 2nd alternator failed, it could be pulley alignment causing premature failure. If the original alternator had many miles/km's on it,

I'd lean towards bad luck on the 2nd used alternator pull, but you are the best judge of how to proceed w/ your vehicle.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2.9LX 2003
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mobile mechanic friend fitted the first one so he knows how to do things....

Car has 120K on it so no idea if first one was original or not. Im hoping its just a faulty 2nd one....

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Then I'd lean towards a bad used alternator pull from the salvage yard..

You may want to consider a (new) replacement alternator, w/ warranty, for this replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts