Kia Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
The Stebel Nautilus Compact is actually 12volts.

I've purchased this, however waiting for my car to be delivered so i can't install yet! :(
I was talking about Current (amps) not Voltage (V) rating of the Nautilus Compact. Actually its 12/24 volts. 18amp rating if 12V or 9amp rating if 24V is used.

·
Registered
Nissan 350z Supercharged, soon to be Kia Sportage 2011 Platinum
43 Posts
I was talking about Current (amps) not Voltage (V) rating of the Nautilus Compact. Actually its 12/24 volts. 18amp rating if 12V or 9amp rating if 24V is used.
LOL, my bad - totally clueless with this stuff. So will it work with stock fuse? Or should we change the fuse?

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I guess I'll go with the 20 amp to start. If it blows, I'll go back in and run the horn from the battery through the 30 amp relay supplied with the wiring kit. I'm not sure that I want to just replace the existing fuse with a higher amp fuse (25?) because of concerns of possibly overloading a circuit.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Actually in the engine fuse box is a horn relay (looks like the block) and a fuse. I forgot the rating of the fuse, someone would have to verify cause its raining here for a few days. I wouldn't mess with getting a bigger fuse because that fuse will pop before your wiring (which is what you want in case you horn is drawing too much current). Theoretically if the SX 20amp relay is higher than that of the 18amp rating of the nautilus compact, it should work. Worst case, your horn wont make a sound or you'll blow the horn fuse. If this does happen, you would have to use the 30amp relay that came with the horns and run a wire to your positive lead to your battery (attach a 20-30amp fuse between the positive lead and the battery) and negative lead to the chassis going to the 30amp relay. Don't change you horn fuse to a higher amp or youll risk a burnt wiring.

Here is a wiring diagram:

You'll have to test the factory horn leads to find out which is negative and positive. Because the neg. factory wiring lead of the horn, the pin 85 (30 amp relay), and the neg. of the nautilus horn will have to connected to the chassis for grounding.
pin 86 (30amp relay) goes to the positive of the factory horn lead
pin 30 (30amp relay) goes to the additional fuse youll have to install and the other end of the fuse goes to the positve terminal of the battery
pin 87 to the positive lead of the nautilus horn.

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Thanks. Great advice and road map for the installation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So end result is to try it, and if the stock fuse blows then look at the relay wiring kit directly to the battery?

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
or if the horn doesnt make a sound, youll have to install the relay or buy a new horn like the magnums which I know will work without the relay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK, installed the Stebel Nautilus last night and it works!

Just used wire taps into the stock wiring harness and it works a treat, nice and LOUD now!

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Great news. At least others can be rest assured that the nautilus compact and magnums can be wired directly to the stock wiring.

·
Registered
'01 GMC Jimmy (don't hate) ► R.I.P. '03 Sorento
67 Posts
That is great news!! I have a Stebel compact Nautilus on my motorcycle... I want to wire up a second one on the bike, but also want to double up to replace the cage horn too:devil:

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I wanted something to do this long weekend so I picked up a pair of Fiamm El Grande horns. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage, Mustang GT, Murano, Goldwing
85 Posts
I have tried twice to get the plastic piece that is attached to the back, top of the grill off so that I can install new horns. I have removed all of the fasteners you can see and the two that are hidden on the underside. I still can't get that part to separate from the grill at the ends. What am I missing? It seems as if it should be pretty simple but, I really don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
It should be 4 screws, 2 bolts, 2 plastic fastener, and the 2 hidden screws. Lift and wiggle the plastic guard away from the grill

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can use the same relay as for Blower(35A) - you can buy it in original spare part in KIA store. For horn i have mounted 15A fuse and 20A relay(replaced to 35A), i replaced fuse 15A fuse to 20A fuse. All these components are in engine room relay box.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts