Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage FE 2.0 CRDi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics of my Twin Horn Installation to replace the factory fitted tweeter.
UK Spec 2.0 CRDi First Edition. I'm not afraid to blast the horn now.

Twin horns made by "Ring"
I used the brackets supplied and created my own mini wiring loom which took the feed from the wires behind the original connector (I left this in place just in case). I then used an old bicycle inner tube to cover the connections/connector to add a little protection from the elements. Job took a couple of hours.

I've added some shots as jpeg attachments. This is the first time I've tried so fingers crossed it works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,959 Posts
Great job!!!!!

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Looks great, mate. Feel the same as you . . . too embarrassed to use the original tweeter, so will hold my road rage in check until my new pair of Stebel horns are fitted.

·
Registered
Sorento KX4
400 Posts
Top job!
Not expecting KIA to weld the doors shut and fit one from the general lee but the factory horn is pant`s
Now you can hold your head high and blow your horn lol

·
Registered
98 Honda CR-V, 08 GMC CC, 96 Camry Coupe V6, 11 Kia Sportage EX AWD
87 Posts
So how do they sound? :cigareta:

Good job on the install:clap:

·
Registered
Sportage FE 2.0 CRDi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loud enough to annoy the neighbours every time I did a test hoot! They have a pleasant note, more than audible thanks to their position (open to the air) at the front where it counts. Truth be told Kiastorm blazed the way. I followed a link to this forum (and kiastorm's posting) from the UK Kia forum. Cheers mate!

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento KX4
400 Posts
Thanks for the mention guys
Wished I`d put a better how too on now ! didn't think you lot were going to be so horny :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
You know us blokes . . . we like to be proud of our horns!

·
Registered
3G Sportage/wannabee
12 Posts
How do I up the amperage? I'm pretty sure I'll want to go Dukes of Hazard! (Wife permitting that is).

·
Registered
Sportage FE 2.0 CRDi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You'll have to use a relay and run a feed from the battery to the horns, otherwise you might overload the existing switchgear and wiring.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
I just bought the Stebel Magnum and want to install it in my sportage. Now the kit comes with a 30Amp relay, I checked the specification of the magnum horns and they are rated at 12Amps with both horns. My question is do I need to use the 30Amp relay that came with the magnums or can the factory wiring handle it? I read the factory is 15amps, so technically the magnums are still under the factory relay. Can anyone shed some light whether the 30amp relay is needed, because I really dont want to feed a line from the battery to the magnum (30Amp relay).

·
Registered
995 Posts
I need to do this. I honked the horn the other day to try to avoid being killed, and with the radio blasting I didn't even hear it. Later I tooted it just to make sure it was working, but it's easily one of the most feeble horns I've ever heard. I think I'll go to the salvage yard and take a horn off of a Saturn VUE. That was my last car and it had a fairly good horn. Should be easy to adapt to the KIA.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
I couldnt wait for a reply so I decided to hook up the Magnums. I first checked on the factory relay to make sure it is above the specs of the 12amp magnums. I looked in the engine fuse box and found out my SX has a 20amp horn relay. So more convinced its not gonna need the 30amp relay included with the magnum, I started installing. It wasnt really that hard, the hardest part was having to trim the slide connectors. The ones connected to the factory horns were skinny and thinner. With the dremmel I trimmed and thinned out the slide connector so they would slide in the factory wiring. Then I used electrical tape to waterproof and secure the connection to the factory wiring. The high and low magnum horns are hooked up in parallel, and used all the brackets (factory and the ones with the magnums) to position the horns in place. Had to bend the magnum brackets a little to keep the horns from touching the evaporator (i think) of the car. Any ways, with a test honk. Everything works and no more wimpy sound.

So to answer my question. For my SX the 20amp factory horn relay is enough to power my stebel magnums.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage Platinum 2.0ltr Turbo DIESEL
54 Posts
Good work on the horn job, I am changing mine too after tooting my horn today at a car which didn't go when it was green light. Although he didn't hear my horn, only when the car behind me tooted his horn that is when he heard it and took off....

So yes it is very pathetic the factory horn.

·
Registered
2011 TechnoOrange Sx, 2008 Toyota Solara SLE, 1946 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan
66 Posts
Stebel Nautilus Compact horn on SX?

I've checking two forum threads on replacing the weak OEM horn and couldn't find an answer to this question so I thought I'd check with the group to see if anyone has installed the Nautilus Compact in an SX and whether there was anything unusual about the installation that isn't already covered in the other threads.. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Well the nautilus compact is rated at 18amps and the SX has a 20amp relay. Ideally your factory should handle the nautilus compact, but its fairly close.

·
Registered
Nissan 350z Supercharged, soon to be Kia Sportage 2011 Platinum
43 Posts
Well the nautilus compact is rated at 18amps and the SX has a 20amp relay. Ideally your factory should handle the nautilus compact, but its fairly close.
The Stebel Nautilus Compact is actually 12volts.

I've purchased this, however waiting for my car to be delivered so i can't install yet! :(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts