Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off let me explain the car:
The car itself is a 2004 hyundai accent that i bought for $500. Recently I was having problems with it overheating and when i went to buy parts I noticed the only markings on the motor are kia markings. My friend that works at a parts store told me he was pretty sure its a motor out of a kia spectra.
My issue: the other day I was coming home from work and when I downshifted into second because I was getting ready to turn before i could even let off the clutch it died. When I tried to start it again it made a loud whining noise. I left it came back later to tow it and it had stopped making the whining noise and sounds like its turns over but wont crank. Almost sounds a little weak of a crank but wont start. I can hear the fuel pump when i first turn the ignition on so i figure its working. Oh one other thing, it wouldnt even start by popping the clutch. Please help I am at a loss right now of what it could be

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,939 Posts
OUCH...
KIA/Hyundai engines of that age would be interference type engines.
"if" the previous owner did not replace the belt and it snapped or jumped a few missing teeth on the belt this may be your problem...
I see many items on my KIA Spectra with both Hyundai and KIA markings as they are used interchangably... The number stamped on the top-front-center of the engine right by the head should help identify the engine. Do a search for "2004 Hyundai Accent" on ebay and then look at the engine pictures to see if yours looks like a stock one... I have heard of KIA RIOs being swapped with an engine from a Spectra so it's possible you may have a "FrankinKIA"
Post a picture of your engine here also..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
The Accent engine direct cross for 1.6L is 2001~2006... I have read that the 2.0L engines from the Elantra will fit and work so the Spectra 2.0L should work also (Same engine from 2004.5 on in Spectras).
One motor mount needs to be custom made and the wiring harness needs to be rewired.
Read this thread...
engine swap Hyundai Accent MC - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
Dave
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the response yeah after more research it is a hyundai accent 1.6 its just missing the cover that goes over the spark plugs. I have tried several things since the post and nothing has worked. It has spark at all 4 plugs, the battery has a good charge, the fuel pump is still kicking on, and i havent found any bad fuses or disconnected sensors. So im starting to think my worst fear is correct and it was the timing belt. Is it true that if it throws the timing belt the motor is done for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow just saw a youtube video of what happens to an interference engine when the timing belt jumps. im almost affraid to look at it.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
bigkountry...
One good thing is that "if" the engine really did come from a Spectra/Elantra...
and it has been damaged...replacement engines (2.0L beta 2004.5~2009 Spectras) are wonderfully cheap at low miles.. $500 should buy an engine with under 40k miles. Search ebay with "2006 Spectra Engine". Also check car-part.com for a local salvage yard with an engine in your price range... Just be sure to replace the Timing belt BEFORE installing the donor engine in your car.
An engine for a Honda/Toyota/Mazda will be in the thousands and will have over 100k miles on it...

Upon reading your current posts and seeing that it is a 1.6L (Hyundai) engine...you still are not too bad off with replacing the engine...A KIA rio of your vintage would be very expensive to repair/replace...
The Hyundai 1.6L are plentyful and replacements are pretty cheap.
Again check ebay and car-part for costs...
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah have found some for pretty cheap but so far im looking really lucky. The belt is stripped to hell barley 3/8 of an inch left in width. However i found now bent valves or signs of damage yet so keeping my fingers crossed. Even though a motor under $1000 seems cheap, I have had to live pay check to pay check since rejoining the civilian world after my military service so any money i can save helps lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New problem

so after taking everything apart i learned that there are no bent valves and the timing belt had slipped. It was also pretty worn. I changed the belt have it all back together and it still isnt starting. I read online that there is no way to set the timing on it is this true?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts