Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!
I have a 2006 Kio Rio with 88K miles on it. Three years ago, I was driving on a major highway and it turned off. The check engine light and oil light came on. I was able to start it again. I went to a dealer and they said they could not help me since none of my warning lights were on. It happened again about a year ago while stopped at light. Now it has happened three times this week while stopped at a light. Each time I can restart my car. Although, the last time it took longer.

Also, my air condition randomly cuts on when it should be off.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I plan on making an appointment this week at a dealer and I want to have an idea what it could be. I think last time the mechanic at the dealer blew me off because I was a girl and did not appear to know what I was talking

And is this something a dealer should handle or can I take it to a regular mechanic?

Thanks so much for any help!

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio 5-speed 2014 F-150 FX4 Supercrew 5.0
59 Posts
Hey everyone! I thought I would give my recent dealings with this issue. At around 88,000 miles or so my car would randomly just quit for no reason. Sometimes it would take a couple of seconds longer to restart, other times it just restarted normally. Sometimes it would also be accompanied by a rough idle and would start to stumble above 3000 RPM. One day the car quit on me in a drive through right before a long drive. When I got to where I was going I plugged up a scan tool and noticed it had 2 "soft" codes, which means the had not yet set a check engine light. I don't remember the exact codes but one was for "Random misfire cylinder #3" and "Crankshaft position sensor intermittent." I ordered a genuine Kia crankshaft position sensor off of Ebay for $30 and it took 10 minutes to install. I'm at 96,000 miles and no issues. I believe this is a fairly common issue but not many people post about Rio's. This little car has saved me so much in gas, I'm going to see how many miles I can get out of it. Remember, if the car sets a "soft" code for a "random" or "intermittent" issue typically after 3 driving cycles without it reoccurring, the code will clear itself. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts