Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Sorento 2.5 tdi 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a 2007 2.5 diesel Sorento. 200k on clock. It runs fine but there a really significant turbo lag and some black smoke when I really put the foot down. Runs smooth generally though. Mechanic checked it out at last device. He said the turbo has a bit of forward and side to side movement and injectors could also maybe need some TLC. I'm keen to get it good for the long haul but is it worth the investment? We are doing an engine compression test before jumping off any bridges....but everything else seems solid.

Any thoughts on 'worth it'? Or just drive as is? Thanks a ton for your input. Steve

·
Registered
2018 Sportage CRDI
53 Posts
aside from my Sportage, I also own a 2014 Hyundai Accent diesel. From my experience with both Korean diesels, turbo lag is something you should expect since diesel fuel is not as volatile as petrol. I also notice the black smoke whenever I punch the pedal of the Accent but, the smoke gradually eases off. A year ago, the smoky fumes was gradually getting worse & there was a significant loss of power when I punch the pedal until the CEL lit up. I had it checked by the dealer & they found a hole in the upper intercooler hose. After they replaced this, the car ran a lot better & I didn’t notice the thick smoke anymore. You might want to have that checked for holes or if the hose is soft already.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
2,030 Posts
Turbos can be an issue. Sorentos can have a problem with the oil carbonising which can clog the sump oil pickup strainer which is on the fine side. Similarly with restrictions in the oil feed/return to the turbo. It's a job to get the pickup cleaned but probably worth it for long term. As you already have evidence of turbo wear, maybe a refurb (kit or off the shelf) and replace the oil pipes while in there.

·
Registered
2007 Sorento 2.5 tdi 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing gpjohnnymac!

The car is actually running pretty good! The mechanic did do a leak test for the whole system and did find one intricate part leaking (something that manages the emissions - that' all I know). He also did a compression test on engine. Said it was about 20% down but that's not uncommon for a 15 yo car.

Mechanic also told me to keep the revs up a bit more - stay more in third around side streets etc. That really made a difference! It will still drop a little 'smoke bomb' if I flatten it but I rarely need to do that and the rest of the time there is no smoke at all.

So I think Im all good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts