Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering what the ohm specs are for the trans input shaft speed sensor and the trans output shaft speed sensor, reason is the speedo isnt working and hasnt been for a while and getting kind of annoying. i ohm checked the input sensor and says .615 k ohms and the output shows .415 k ohms. from my previous vehicles, that seems a little low for both.

and since im here now i might as well address my next adventure with this vehicle. water pump is leaking externally. since i am a ford certified tech i dont have much experience with this vehicle was wondering if i could just replace the gasket/rtv (whatever the case may be) or do i have to remove the front cover and dissassemble from there.

thanks for the help, Nash.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
hi i was wondering what the ohm specs are for the trans input shaft speed sensor and the trans output shaft speed sensor, reason is the speedo isnt working and hasnt been for a while and getting kind of annoying. i ohm checked the input sensor and says .615 k ohms and the output shows .415 k ohms. from my previous vehicles, that seems a little low for both.

and since im here now i might as well address my next adventure with this vehicle. water pump is leaking externally. since i am a ford certified tech i dont have much experience with this vehicle was wondering if i could just replace the gasket/rtv (whatever the case may be) or do i have to remove the front cover and dissassemble from there.

thanks for the help, Nash.
Greetings,

re: Vehicle Speed Sensor / "Input/turbine speed sensor": (VSS or ISS) resistance, the kiatechinfo website lists a value range of 550-650 Ohms at 68 F, so the static test looks ok,

* I would sign up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer, and navigate to:

SPORTAGE(AL) > 1998 > Engine > Engine Control > Automatic Transaxle System > Troubleshooting > P0716 > DTC Description

which lists the diagnostic tree for checking the VSS..

There was also a recent post about the cruise control module, if equipped, causing issues w/ the speedometer, see:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/76796-kia-sportage-codes-p0501-p1500.html

re: water pump, on the DOHC 2.0L motor is driven off the timing belt: you will need to need to remove the front cover / set to TDC / remove the timing belt to disassemble & replace the water pump. (Would also recommend replacing the gasket on the thermostat housing snout (front housing gasket) as well.)

On kiatechinfo.com:

See: SPORTAGE(AL) >1998 > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine Mechanical System -> Cooling System -> Water Pump -> (repair procedures)

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent. im definetly signing up for that. sounds like theres a lot of useful info there.

as always thanks again gottacruise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts