Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just got off the phone with my local KIA dealership. They performed a BCM software upgrade (cause SA142) on my car yesterday but cannot ( or will not) tell me what this was for!!! Absolutely ridiculous.

Can anyone enlighten me, and them?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,871 Posts
All the campaigns and TSBs are listed on KGIS as they always have been for US vehicles.

Canada, don't know or care.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All the campaigns and TSBs are listed on KGIS as they always have been for US vehicles.

Canada, don't know or care.
Nice! Already knew about KGIS but you're from WA so why would you care about Canada or a fellow member. Why bother to answer if you don't care?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Sometimes the SA(service action) descriptions are pretty vague. Lots of times they won't list what is being corrected, just that the SA is being done to prevent you from having any future problems. It may not be that the dealer won't give you the info, but more likely that they don't have it either.

There was a SA released here in the US, SA081, a BCM upgrade, which was supposed to prevent a "current draw/no start and beeping condition". This applied to the Sportage and may in fact be the same SA, but with a different number in Canada.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes the SA(service action) descriptions are pretty vague. Lots of times they won't list what is being corrected, just that the SA is being done to prevent you from having any future problems. It may not be that the dealer won't give you the info, but more likely that they don't have it either.

There was a SA released here in the US, SA081, a BCM upgrade, which was supposed to prevent a "current draw/no start and beeping condition". This applied to the Sportage and may in fact be the same SA, but with a different number in Canada.
Thanks so much. It's really unfortunate that the descriptions are vague.

I've been investigating my situation since I noticed that one of the BCM TSBs listed on the US Kia Tech site involved a smart key update (which seems strange) with a note warning that if the spare smart keys were not updated at the same time, but then used, that it would disable the car. When I asked the service rep if this is the action they had applied (they didn't have my spare smart key) they weren't able to tell me!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Thanks so much. It's really unfortunate that the descriptions are vague.

I've been investigating my situation since I noticed that one of the BCM TSBs listed on the US Kia Tech site involved a smart key update (which seems strange) with a note warning that if the spare smart keys were not updated at the same time, but then used, that it would disable the car. When I asked the service rep if this is the action they had applied (they didn't have my spare smart key) they weren't able to tell me!
If it is the same SA, then not all of them got the SmartKey update. All of the Sportages that it applied to got the BCM upgrade, but only some of them got the SMK upgrade also. Its possible that yours didn't need the SMK update.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is the same SA, then not all of them got the SmartKey update. All of the Sportages that it applied to got the BCM upgrade, but only some of them got the SMK upgrade also. Its possible that yours didn't need the SMK update.
Thanks spongebob218. I see that the difference has to do with the production date. Can you tell me where I might find that on my vehicle?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX
12 Posts
My dealer performed BCM software upgrade SA142 on my car last Friday and the first morning I started the car I noticed the first change.
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) LED’s will now go off when the parking brake is engaged. Also the LED’s will stay on when the Parking lights are turned on. I did not noticed any other changes.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,871 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts