Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2019
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned my 2019 Kia Sorento SX for less than a month and I have yet to understand the utility of UVO. The dealer was no help, they just said you really need it, it’s great. So, I added the app to my paired android phone and I check it once in a while. It doesn’t tell me anything. I had to plug the phone in with USB and reset the app data just to get the miles to update. Why?

My Sorento came with the SiriusXM radio and 8” navigation. I came out of a 2015 Hyundia Sonata which also had these options.

So, knowing this what do I need UVO for? When my wife and I upgraded or phones 2 years ago with Verizon we opted for their Hum service. My wife wanted it because it has kind of an OnStar feature where you can talk to a person if you have a car issue or a medical issue. The Hum system is composed of two devices: a diagnostics reader which connects to a vehicle's OBDII and a speaker with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone that can be clipped to the visor.

I thought maybe this is what UVO is (at least in part) supposed to be like. My Hum app gives me scads of data (trip, location, parking location, history, diagnostics, crash response and lots more). I do have to pay $10 a month but I think it’s worth it.

Am I wasting my money on this? Can UVO do this for me without a hard USB connection? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
375 Posts
Can't do parking remember without hardwire usb. It can do a monthly diagnostic upload, but I don't know what for. Would not miss UVO if it went away.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
I’ve owned my 2019 Kia Sorento SX for less than a month and I have yet to understand the utility of UVO. The dealer was no help, they just said you really need it, it’s great. So, I added the app to my paired android phone and I check it once in a while. It doesn’t tell me anything. I had to plug the phone in with USB and reset the app data just to get the miles to update. Why?

My Sorento came with the SiriusXM radio and 8” navigation. I came out of a 2015 Hyundia Sonata which also had these options.

So, knowing this what do I need UVO for? When my wife and I upgraded or phones 2 years ago with Verizon we opted for their Hum service. My wife wanted it because it has kind of an OnStar feature where you can talk to a person if you have a car issue or a medical issue. The Hum system is composed of two devices: a diagnostics reader which connects to a vehicle's OBDII and a speaker with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone that can be clipped to the visor.

I thought maybe this is what UVO is (at least in part) supposed to be like. My Hum app gives me scads of data (trip, location, parking location, history, diagnostics, crash response and lots more). I do have to pay $10 a month but I think it’s worth it.

Am I wasting my money on this? Can UVO do this for me without a hard USB connection? Thanks for your thoughts.
I think you've pretty much figured it out, and you're pretty much right, it's pretty much seems useless!

I've used it from time to time, hoping it'll do something of some real significance, but honestly I haven't found anything it does that can't be done in a multitude of other ways. Oh, I guess it'll remind me when it's time for service, or if I drive too fast, or where I parked, or run a diagnostic, or call road side assistance, etc. If it's plugged in. But you can set up a service reminder or an over speed warning in the car settings or infotainment system, or some other place I can't remember how to get back too! The Fuelly app on my phone will remind me it's time for service and the map app will tell me where I parked, sometimes! And I can call AAA for road side assistance.

Oh, it does have this neat little gauge feature in Trip Info that gives you a "driving score". But in 9 months I've never seen it go below 97-98 and I know I've driven too fast or pulled a stupid move somewhere. So, no idea what data it look's at???

So anyway, sorry, guess I can't help you!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento Ex Turbo GDI
14 Posts
I thought it was a pretty cool way to access my itunes playlists until I realized it was just playing the same few songs over and over. I now just plug in my ipod. It does pair well with your iphone for directions and maps and Siri will even read a text message to you.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
198 Posts
I also uninstalled my phone app a while back. I thought the parking reminder feature might be okay, but the thing was you had to have the UVO app running when you shut off the car.
Pretty useless.

·
Registered
Sorento 2019, EX V6 Premium AWD
22 Posts
To me it's a cool app. You can start/stop the engine, you can create your own presets with different engine run duration and climate control temperature, you can on and off windshield defroster as well, you can check for your car current location, current mileage , check current car status, can lock and unlock it, can check car health, can call road side assistance, find the closest dealer and more. It also can notify you for upcoming maintenance.No need to connect it through USB, it works through the Internet. And the app comes with the car for free for 5 years..

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,311 Posts
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
375 Posts
To me it's a cool app. You can start/stop the engine, you can create your own presets with different engine run duration and climate control temperature, you can on and off windshield defroster as well, you can check for your car current location, current mileage , check current car status, can lock and unlock it, can check car health, can call road side assistance, find the closest dealer and more. It also can notify you for upcoming maintenance.No need to connect it through USB, it works through the Internet. And the app comes with the car for free for 5 years..
You must have a 'super uvo' mine does not support half those features.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
140 Posts
Ditto to steve807's comment!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,311 Posts
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature

With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

1 - 10 of 10 Posts