Kia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2022 Sorento SX
You could already do full screen, use developer options. Set video resolution to allow up to 1280x720 or 720x1280.
This will give you full screen. The update is still in beta and most people won't be able to use it yet. The method above you can use now. To use developer mode tap the three dots at the top right of the android auto app till it gives you the option to open developer mode.

Registered
'22 Sorento SX-P, X-Line 2.5t, Wolf Gray
Are you all saying that previously with Andriod Carplay, you didn't have the same screen size as with Apple Car Play? At least in my case - I have an iPhone - this thread is not intuitively obvious.

Registered
2020 Telluride SX Prestige
Are you all saying that previously with Andriod Carplay, you didn't have the same screen size as with Apple Car Play?
Hyundai and Kia widescreen infotainment systems didn鈥檛 allow Android Auto to utilize the full screen until the April 2022 infotainment system update.

And once that hit, many more people got an understanding of what Android Auto looks like on wide screens. By default, it is one big app and one smaller one, with no customization available. Like this:
Slope Font Line Parallel Engineering

Although this is very useful, lots of people were unhappy they couldn鈥檛 get any single app to span the entire screen. The only way to do that was to limit the resolution of Android Auto and force it to revert to its older interface:
Font Line Slope Parallel Engineering

I never understood why anyone would want to do this, because there鈥檚 lots of wasted space on there and now you don鈥檛 see your now playing. But people wanted to do that.

Now with Coolwalk showing up in beta builds, it appears to be much easier to choose if you want an app to be full screen or with something else. And you don鈥檛 have to take a resolution or user interface hit to get that ability.

Registered
'22 Sorento SX-P, X-Line 2.5t, Wolf Gray
Hyundai and Kia widescreen infotainment systems didn鈥檛 allow Android Auto to utilize the full screen until the April 2022 infotainment system update.

And once that hit, many more people got an understanding of what Android Auto looks like on wide screens. By default, it is one big app and one smaller one, with no customization available. Like this: View attachment 126704

Although this is very useful, lots of people were unhappy they couldn鈥檛 get any single app to span the entire screen. The only way to do that was to limit the resolution of Android Auto and force it to revert to its older interface: View attachment 126705
I never understood why anyone would want to do this, because there鈥檚 lots of wasted space on there and now you don鈥檛 see your now playing. But people wanted to do that.

Now with Coolwalk showing up in beta builds, it appears to be much easier to choose if you want an app to be full screen or with something else. And you don鈥檛 have to take a resolution or user interface hit to get that ability.
Thanks - that helps explain

Registered
Sorry to cross post but I've had no luck getting my 10.25 screen to allow me to run Google maps fullscreen even after coolwalk has now been publicly released. I wasnt lucky enough to be added to the beta. I'm stumped.
I鈥檝e found that often the first time you tap in to Google Maps, you鈥檒l get the standard look (maps as main app, but the secondary now playing tile):
Font Line Screenshot Parallel Technology

When you鈥檙e in that screen, just tap the Google Maps icon on the bar on the left. That鈥檒l get it to span the screen:
Azure Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line
I'm thinking my issue is that I've not been fully transitioned to Coolwalk yet or something lije that. If look at the my quick launch screen, its much different than yours. For example, there is no Maps icon when Maps is loaded on the left screen. Your first image also shows a row of 9 dots (3x3) and I don't have anything like that.

Registered
2022 Sorento EX 3.5 V6 AWD
I'm thinking my issue is that I've not been fully transitioned to Coolwalk yet or something lije that. If look at the my quick launch screen, its much different than yours. For example, there is no Maps icon when Maps is loaded on the left screen. Your first image also shows a row of 9 dots (3x3) and I don't have anything like that.
Did you get it to work? I couldn't get mine to work. However took the car to the dealer today, had them do a software update and instantly the widescreen worked. Didn't have to fool around with anything else.

Offtopic: Some other things have changed too, i.e. I think now the Bose centerpoint audio quality option is no longer selectable and on by default, worth knowing if you don't like the sound of it.

Registered
Did you get it to work? I couldn't get mine to work. However took the car to the dealer today, had them do a software update and instantly the widescreen worked. Didn't have to fool around with anything else.

Offtopic: Some other things have changed too, i.e. I think now the Bose centerpoint audio quality option is no longer selectable and on by default, worth knowing if you don't like the sound of it.
Sounds like they installed the most recent navigation system update for you.

The audio sound effects (Bose Centerpoint on your car) are no longer a system-wide setting. They鈥檙e selectable per source. See my post here.

Registered
2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
We get more precise navigation directions when my son uses Google maps on his Google Pixel 6 with the Sportage than when we use Google maps with the Iphone 13 Pro. Example: "turn right, just after Taco Bell." My Apple phone would say, "turn right at the next intersection."

Registered
2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
We get more precise navigation directions when my son uses Google maps on his Google Pixel 6 with the Sportage than when we use Google maps with the Iphone 13 Pro. Example: "turn right, just after Taco Bell." My Apple phone would say, "turn right at the next intersection."
Certain voices will do names and some can only do generic directions on the iPhone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts