Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2000 Kia Sephia, the check engine light was on and I did a scan showing troubleshooting code po460:fuel gauge sending unit \ Fuel Level Sensor having a shorted or open fuel sender circuit on the fuel pump. I cleared the code and noticed the fuel gauge needle on the instrument cluster panel showing the needle at full all the way and stays there, even when I turned off the ignition. There goes the start of process of eliminations to narrow down the problem.

I removed the fuel pump carefully while turning on its side to make room for the floater to get out. I went to autozone to test the fuel gauge sending unit \ Fuel Level Sensor connectors using the voltmeter for resistance and moving the floater as well to see if it is defective. All is working fine as it should be because the fuel pump complete assembly was only 2 years old.

When I got home, I tested the fuel gauge sending unit \ Fuel Level Sensor outside the gas tank to see if there is a movement on the gas gauge needle when connected to the wire connectors while I moved the floater. Sure enough, the needle slowly moved up (the needle was down on empty at first). Gee, I thought I had it fixed, since I sprayed electronic cleaner on the four connectors. So I put the fuel pump back on inside the gas tank, tighten all the screws and put in the both fuel lines on the fuel pump. Also, put the 3 electrical connectors back on as well.

So I started the Sephia and sure enough the gas gauge needle went up to full and stay and stuck there even after I turned off the ignition. There is a circuit short somewhere or not grounded, or the connectors in the back of the instrument cluster panel. What to do next?

While this is a circuit short issue, and nothing mechanical and does not affected the running of the Sephia, it is just annoying to see the needle stuck at full and not moving anywhere. Just have to remind myself to fill up the tank every couple of weeks to make sure I don't run of gas.

I was doing some research on this issue. There is no fuse-related to the fuel gauge needle. I am somewhat baffled by this issue. Any comments, advice, feedback on this mystery issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for reading this post.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
On my 2000 Kia Sephia ... the gas gauge needle went up to full and stay and stuck there even after I turned off the ignition ...
In these Sephias, the needle at the instrument cluster, keeps indicating the Fuel level, no matter if the car is shut off, keyless, or if it is with engine running; so it is Normal to the needle to stay indicating the fuel level, regardless the key on ignition.

Many cars comes like this, my '85 Subaru also came like this. The idea behind it, is that you can see easily, which of your vehicles has more fuel, without needing to get the keys nor start the engine; so you can choose the one with more fuel on it, prior to a trip, or something alike...

Regarding the Code: Have you refueled your Sephia, with engine running or with ignition key in ON position?

That could throw the code.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loyale 2.7 Turbo, thanks for responding to my issue. I appreciated it.

You are correct about the needle stays when the Sephia is turned off. I did not thought about that. As for your "Regarding the Code: Have you refueled your Sephia, with engine running or with ignition key in ON position?" No, I always refueled the Sephia with the ignition off.That does not mean it does throw off the po460 code.

There is a short circuit somewhere that caused the fuel gauge needle to stay stuck on full at all times and not moving at all as it should goes down while driving many miles. I filled up the tank over 5 gallons while the fuel gauge needle is still stuck on full. Even though, I cleared the code and the check engine does not come on with the same po460 code so far, I will continue to research this issue and will report back of my findings. Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,789 Posts
Loyale 2.7 Turbo, thanks for responding to my issue. I appreciated it.
You're Welcome!

Any ideas, anyone?
Yes, it could be the wiring touching bare metal, under the rear seat, as the needle works with ground signal.

Also, the instrument cluster itself might be failing...

I would start by checking the Wiring, first.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're Welcome!

Yes, it could be the wiring touching bare metal, under the rear seat, as the needle works with ground signal.

Also, the instrument cluster itself might be failing...

I would start by checking the Wiring, first.

Kind Regards.
After checking the circuit wiring connectors by the fuel pump and driving around to see if there is any differences. I noticed the gas needle started to going down and stay there. Next day, the needle stays below the full or top of the fuel meter. The fuel meter reading was about 3/4 full when I went to get some fuel and the fuel/gas needle went back on full. It appears so far the fuel needle is appropriate on the level where it supposed to be.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After checking the circuit wiring connectors by the fuel pump and driving around to see if there is any differences. I noticed the gas needle started to going down and stay there. Next day, the needle stays below the full or top of the fuel meter. The fuel meter reading was about 3/4 full when I went to get some fuel and the fuel/gas needle went back on full. It appears so far the fuel needle is appropriate on the level where it supposed to be.
I forgot to mentioned the troubleshooting code po460 fuel gauge sending unit \ Fuel Level Sensor is no longer there so far.

·
Registered
Kia Sephia 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel needle gauge is still working correctly. So far, no troubleshooting codes pop up. Kia is running good and normal so far. All systems, (electrical wiring, sensors, relays, fuses, etc.) working good and well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts