Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sportage
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Kia sportage. Total rebuild. I have done all the work myself without a manual (stupid i know - couldnt find one).
But everytime i drive the truck it drives and sometimes it sounds like a lawnmower and then sputters and dies and sometimes it drives just fine. Other things is it emitts some white smoke out the tail pipes. I have had a fuel treatment system done to it. changed the fuel filter and air and oil. I have put in high octane fuel injector cleaners. So i am at my last straw. Anyone know where the fuel pump is and how to change it?
if you think it is something other than the fuel pump please let me know i am open to all kinds of help.!
thanks
:grin:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
See if the white smoke smells funny.

It's normal for some white smoke after startup due to condensation in the exhaust burning off.

White smoke all of the time says that you have coolant being burned. This could be from a cracked block, head, or head gasket. You can remove the spark plugs and take a look at them. You'll be able to tell which ones from the bad cylinder.

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sportage
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the smoke it is just when it starts. no funny smell. but when i drive it.. it still sputters and dies from time to time. i can drive about 20 minutes and then it dies and sometimes i can drive about an hour and nothing sometimes it doesnt die? i dont get it? i have done most that i know about. i dont have a shop manual to try to fix it.. i am open to all ideas. ill do the spark plugs tomorrow.
thanks again ;)

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Definitely check the plugs. It's possible that it's worse when you start it because the condensation in the exhaust is also burning off.

Another thing you can do is pressure test the cooling system. If it leaks, the guage will show it.

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sportage
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, changed the plugs the last one far back plug covered in oil. two of the four plugs were bad. i think i have a valve cover bad that is leaking oil.. but i am doing all of this blind b/c i have no shop manual. any help in where i should look would be awsome. the kia is running so much better after changing the oil again and changing the plugs. i am a bit concerned about the oil in the last plug.. worried that it might lead to a blown head gasket.. ? I am also having so much trouble with the back latch of the rear door any one know who i can take it to get it fixed? i cant tell if itis the gold latch or the key bar that attaches to the latch?
thanks ;)

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
If you have one plug covered in oil then there is a problem in that cylinder. The new plugs will only be new for so long, and it will start running bad again. The next step would be a compression check, but oil in one cylinder isn't good and the engine will need to come apart. It could be worn out rings, bad head gasket, etc.

You said two of the plugs were bad. What was wrong with the other one?

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
wow... no need to jump to that bad a conclusion. Most of the time, oil in plug 4 well is caused by a bad valve cover gasket and can be purchased at the dealer for around $20. Least that's what i've heard from most folk and experienced myself. Same procedure as the plug change except you just go a step further when dismantiling by removing the valve cover. Might as well replace the pcv valve while you're there too...

·
Registered
1997 Kia Sportage
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks does anyone have the shop manual portion of replacing pvc valve and valve cover? if so ill do that and replace that if it still runs horrible ill have a complete tear down done and have the heads checked and replaced. does anyone know where i can buy a shop manual?
thanks so much for all your guys help.
trish

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Who said anything about it being on the threads or in plug 4's well?

Isn't the oil on the electrode??? Tell me how a valve cover gasket can cause that?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by KiaMech@Jul 7 2005, 06:00 PM
Who said anything about it being on the threads or in plug 4's well?

Isn't the oil on the electrode??? Tell me how a valve cover gasket can cause that?

If the oil was on the electrode then I would agree that there is internal engine problems. But his original post wasn't specific.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts