Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 sportage 4dr w/ 72800 miles

Just bought this thing from an old couple, but it had been sitting for a long time. Tons of leaves built up on it and all. After long cranking it would eventually start, but now won't start at all. After replacing some things, it was still starting hard, but I took it for a test run. A mile later, it stalled out and now I'm back to square 1. When starting, it sounds like it's putting, then builds up like it will start, then drops down like it's not getting gas.

Replaced: fuel filter, idle air control, drained old gas, added iso-heet, new machined head & new gasket/bolts, radiator, air filter, sparkplugs/coils.

When I turn the key over, I cannot hear the fuel pump kick in. So I bypassed it via data link to make sure it's working, and it does. When trying to start the car, it sounds like it's not getting fuel. I bypassed it to get the fuel pump going while starting it and it didn't make a difference.... still won't start.

Also people said that the IAC will buzz when MAF is disconnected. Ours was buzzing loud and constantly no matter if I disconnected the MAF, so I replaced the IAC, but still the same. I also replaced the MAF and still the same.

Got new relays from Napa after Kia told us it's the same part (the part number on the relays is the same, but they don't work). I plugged them in, and the car would not even try to start... sounded like it was getting NO gas, therefore they were not working, so I returned them. Occassionally the hold light blinks, and these codes sometimes come up: P1115 & P1624.

Wondering what else I can do to get this thing started. Could a clogged catalytic converter do this? Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Since it has been sitting idle for a long period, you have to expect issues..

Guessing and changing part does not work... diagnostics are the key..

• Verify the engine: Compression test dry/wet, fuel and ignition cut, WOT, full battery.
  • Check for HOT/BLUE spark at plugs..
  • Use test fuel directly into intake, if start, then
  • Check fuel pressure
  • check Injector pulse...
test in this order and post results... Philip

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke to a family mechanic who says it's most likely the cam sensor because he's had that problem before. Replacing it tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I will do your steps aquanaut and post results. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 had same problems....After replacing plugs, wires, relays, sensors,....basically everything but motor...found out it was cat. converter. cut it off, cleared codes, and runs like a champ

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Known BAD relays from Advance/Autozone/Napa... They don't work.
Wired differently...
Get them from KIA or Rockauto.com.
He must have found this out as he hasn't been back since February 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts