Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Bronze 2012 Sorento EX V6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that my trip odometer seems to reset itself intermittently. Has anyone else seen similar behavior?

At first I thought I might have bit the button twice and reset it myself while scrolling through the different views, but the last time, we were coming up to our destination after about 65 miles and when i scrolled over to Trip A, it read 19 miles. I hadn't touched the button nor gassed up or stopped since the start of the trip so I know for a fact that it wasn't user error this time.

Will have the dealer check it out when I get the oil changed as it's got just 4k miles, so I'm having them check a few other little things too.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
Trip A which i use every day, to check how much until the next re-fuel has been working fine for me

however Trip B, which i intentionally let it run up, as i have no active use for it, unless i go out on a road trip, has been counting up, but just yesterday when i went to refuel, i took a look at Trip B and instead of seeing some big numbers like 2000+ Km it went back to 110 ish Km, so that made my raise an eyebrow as it was unexpected.

but I've not seen anything like you have described

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
on previous cars, one of them reset one of the trip odometers to zero if the car was turned off for a while. another car would reset one of the trip odometers once it got to 2000 miles. my guess is that the Sorento is doing one of the 2 things above, although i couldn't find that in a quick look at the manual.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
I had the same problem until I realized that the trip odometer only goes to 999.9 miles before it rolls over. My previous Kia didn't roll over until 9999.9 miles. This sucks because I used to use the B odometer for my oil change intervals. Now I have to use a window sticker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Similar issue with Average MPG ?

I have not seen my trip mileage reset to zero but yesterday I filled the gas tank and went to reset my average MPG and it had reset itself to O on its own! Sort of like it was tied in to my gas cap or gas cap cover circuit.

Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
I have not seen my trip mileage reset to zero but yesterday I filled the gas tank and went to reset my average MPG and it had reset itself to O on its own! Sort of like it was tied in to my gas cap or gas cap cover circuit.

Anyone else have this happen?
Yes, mine does it every time I fuel up. I think it is supposed to do that.

·
Registered
Bronze 2012 Sorento EX V6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input all. I think what I'm seeing might be the 999 mi limit Erik mentioned, I will watch closer as I was using Trip B for the same reason as him.

Avg MPG does reset with each fill-up though, which makes sense to me intuitively at least.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX FWD 2.4 GDI
48 Posts
There are several instances where the insturments reset. I have copied some from the 2012 owner's manual below:

Tripmeter
TRIP A : Tripmeter A
TRIP B : Tripmeter B
This mode indicates the distance of individual
trips selected since the last tripmeter
reset.
The meter's working range is from 0.0 to
999.9 miles (0.0 to 999.9 km).
Pressing the TRIP button for more than 1
second, when the tripmeter (TRIP A or
TRIP B) is being displayed, clears the
tripmeter to zero (0.0).

Average speed (km/h or MPH)
This mode calculates the average speed
of the vehicle since the last average
speed reset.
Even if the vehicle is not in motion, the
average speed keeps going while the
engine is running.
Pressing the RESET button for more
than 1 second, when the average speed
is being displayed or after the engine
stops and 2 hours elapsed clears the
average speed to zero (---).

Average fuel consumption(l/100 km or MPG)
This mode calculates the average fuel
consumption from the total fuel used and
the distance since the last average consumption
reset. The total fuel used is calculated
from the fuel consumption input.
For an accurate calculation, drive more
than 0.03 miles (50 m).
Pressing the RESET button for more than
1 second, when the average fuel consumption
is being displayed, clears the
average fuel consumption to zero (--.-).
If the vehicle speed exceeds 1.6 MPH (1
km/h) after refueled more than 1.6 gallons
(6 l), the average fuel consumption
will be cleared to zero (--.-).

Driving time
This mode indicates the total time traveled
since the last driving time reset.
Even if the vehicle is not in motion, the
driving time keeps going while the engine
is running.
The meter’s working range is from
0:00~99:59.
Pressing the RESET button for more
than 1 second, when the driving time is
being displayed or after the engine stops
and 2 hours elapsed clears the driving
time to zero (0:00).

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 1.6 6 sp
4 Posts
trip meter restes

2013 Soul, my trip meter resets to 0 each time I shut the car off.
also miles to empty hasn't changed?

any suggestions :(

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
what trip it is?
daily trip? daily average fuel consumption?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
I had the same problem until I realized that the trip odometer only goes to 999.9 miles before it rolls over. My previous Kia didn't roll over until 9999.9 miles. This sucks because I used to use the B odometer for my oil change intervals. Now I have to use a window sticker.
Our 2012 Sorento LX that my wife drives does the same thing.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul 1.6 6 sp
4 Posts
trip a

trip a resets every time we shut the car off. miles to empty have been the same even though driving it.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
1,141 Posts
trip a resets every time we shut the car off. miles to empty have been the same even though driving it.
shouldn't trip a accumulate until reset
This is not how it is supposed to work. And yes, the trip meter should not reset until A.) YOU reset it, or B.) it reaches 999.9 miles. You should take it in to the dealer and get it checked out/fixed.

Btw, if you are referring to your 2013 Soul listed in your profile, you posted in the wrong (Sorento) board. ;)

And if that's the case, it will be under warranty and shouldn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
2015 Sportage LX AWD
69 Posts
I know this is the Sorento board, but today my 2015 Sportage LX was reset to zero on both the A and B meters as well as the mpg meter reset itself. I had it sitting in my garage for a month not being driven. This is the first time I have seen this. Only 2200 miles on my car as of today. After reading about many different Kia's doing this, it looks like a software bug to me. My previous 2011 Soul never did this but it was driven at least once a week.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts