Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am from Singapore and just got my Picanto 1.1 manual last week.

I noticed that after I have parked and locked out my car, there is still display of trip meter, is it normal.

I dislike the features of locking all doors once I started engine and step on the brake, I believe this feature comes with the car alarm system. Anyone know how to disable this feature.

Regards.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the trip's normal. i kinda like the brake and lock feature. of cos if you're a regular start n stop type then it can get kinda irritating

·
Registered
105 Posts
the central locking system. in our parts.. our picas automatically lock after we start the engine and at the first press of the brake. is it the same in uk?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Nope, not here? Unless we need to press the brake when we start the engine? Dunno if that does it. Unless there is a way to switch the feature on?!

Kevin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just started to monitor the fuel consumption two days ago, will let you know once it is available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My fuel consumption is about 18km per litre.

I am sorry to take so long to reply as i have to monitor it for longer period.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey Alanyap,

I believe the topic fuel consumption is the most "hot" topic in the Picanto forum :D

At first, when I got my Pica November 2004 I was very disappointed about the high fuel consumption. I learned that most owners had the same impression at first.

The first 5,000 km my average was 15 km/litre. This was driving at winter (we had some weeks with snow here). I've read that winter fuel is not as efficient as summer fuel... (?) so this may affect the bad result.

However, when clocking appr 5,000 km things kinda changed. I could sometimes perform 21 km/litre.

Today, with 11,000+ km on the clock I easily drive 20 km/litre in average. This is with A/C constantly running. Driving pattern is "normal", meaning 110 - 130 km/h on high way, some stop and go traffic in the rush hour etc. I've once performed 23 km/litre but didn't have my digital cam with me to prove it.

So - my conclusion is to have patience with your Pica :thumbsup: It's just like good wine - wait a little longer and it'll get even better :grin:

Try to avoid heavy accelerations in 4. and 5. speed up hill, don't drive stop and go, no short drives, keep an even speed, avoid using A/C etc. etc. And lastly, the tire pressure means something, too.... Picanto is the proof that driving "green" doesn't have to be boring :rolleyes:

Enjoy your upcoming weekend!
Kneeler

·
Registered
14 Posts
the stupid patrol keep going up now i pump shell 92 liao...normally i pump v power..!

By the way i get around 15km/lites how u drive can get 18..?

what is your rpm when u change gear..?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hi Limhouse,

At first my car only performed an average of 15 km/litre. Now it has improved radically.

I usually shift at 2,200 rpm. Depending on the traffic pressure, I try to keep revs below 2,500 rpm. If I need to accelerate, I revv it up to 3,000 rpm, in some cases to 4,000 rpm.

When entering the high way, I may give it 5,000 rpm.

The balance is to shift as quickly as possible without doing it so quick that there is too little torque. It's kinda hard to explain but with some practice you can feel "how low you can go" (just like the limbo) :haha:

As mentioned, I avoid "jerking" the accelerator pedal as I know this is a very bad way of driving. Keep an average speed.

A trick I've practiced a lot in my previous cars which all had bigger and more torque full engines was to shift 1 - 2 - 4 or 1 - 3 - 5 speed. I've experienced that this does not match well with a small 1,100 engine :)

I live in a rural district. When driving to my job, I drive the first 15 km through a rural asphalt road. Speed limit is 70 - 80 km/h. I only pass one traffic light. Thereafter I have 15 km on highway. There's always rush hour when I drive.

Shifting speeds when driving on the rural road are
1 - shift at appr. 15 km/h to 2. gear
2 - shift at appr. 30 km/h to 3. gear
3 - shift at appr. 45 km/h to 4. gear
4 - shift at appr. 65 km/h to 5. gear

In rush hour with many stop and go, my shift patterns changes depending on the traffic level. An example is
1 - shift at appr 15 km/h to 2. gear
2 - shift at appr. 40 km/h to 4. gear
4 - shift at appr. 60 km/h to 5. gear

This driving pattern suits well when there is a queue on the highway. :lol: Although it's a 100 Nm torque engine I'm satisfied with the flow as there is a sufficient power from appr 1,800 rpm.

BTW, my own experience from now three different cars is that fuel consumption won't get lower when using 95 or 98 octane. A colleague of mine has a high compression motor cycle. In his case high octane has a positive effect.

I understand from other Picanto forum members that their experience is that your Pica will burn the fuel more efficient when the clock shows some higher mileage. That's exactly the same experience I've had!

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
I drive my Picanto for a month now and I have passed 830 km. I've calculated that with one full tank I can drive for around 450 kilometers. That would be around 13 km/l, right? Or am I calculating it wrong?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Kneeler,

Thanks for your reply..! I will use your matter on my car to save the high rising patrol..!

I still don't understand what is engine knock...? Is it when i am running a low rpm of 1000 at 3 gear i heard some sound from the engine is it engine knock.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My Pica has around 6000 kms on the clock and I'm still not getting anywhere near the promised 21 km/l. Im driving quite sensibly in it, meaning shifting gears before hitting 3000 rpms and doing 110-130 on the freeways.
My hope is that it will become more efficient after a little more mileage.

@Kneeler: Whats your recommended tyre pressure???

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey,

Engine knocking must be the wrong word, sorry for my English :blush: I think the right expression is "stalling". Yeah, the knocking sound is the stalling sound, right. Try and avoid this as it is equal to higher fuel consumption.

I don't know what the lowest rpm for a Pica 1.1 is but my own butt feeling tells me that everything below appr. 1,000 rpm is crazy as you'd better choose a lower gear. However, if you don't need to accelerate, just keep speed on an even surface, there's no problem in cruising 50 km/h in city in 5th :p

A friend of mine who's a mech told me that this is bad for the cog wheels in the gear box as 5th will have to pull lots of torque at low speed. Can't explain it correctly but the point is that you'll destroy the 5th gear quick when using it at speeds below 70 km/h.

@Kthunoe, my tires are standard "cookies" Hankook 165/60-14 and I use 2,1 as pressure. Very high pressure but not so high that driving gets bumpy :lol: I heard from a "tire expert" that too high pressure shortens life of the tires. I drive appr 20,000 km/year so I don't mind paying the price...

These standard tires are claimed to be fuel saving tires as the are made of some special compound material. My own experience is, however, that difference between the brands are tiny when talking about saving fuel. Tire pressure means a lot regarding fuel consumption. This is my own personal experience - I am pretty sure tire companies will document the opposite ;)

By the way, my Pica has clocked 12k and she's keeping an average of 20 km/l with a/c running all the time and occasionally very high speeds (just testing). So I don't believe it's impossible to approach the EEC figures on 20.4 km/l.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
158 Posts
Originally posted by kthunoe@Jul 23 2005, 02:01 PM
My Pica has around 6000 kms on the clock and I'm still not getting anywhere near the promised 21 km/l. Im driving quite sensibly in it, meaning shifting gears before hitting 3000 rpms and doing 110-130 on the freeways.
My hope is that it will become more efficient after a little more mileage.

@Kneeler: Whats your recommended tyre pressure???
Here is the guidelines for tyrepressure im using.
The guideline is from a Danish Tyre / Alloy company.
http://www.sds.dk/sider/lavprofildæk.html

15" 45-55 profil: 35-40 psi
16" 40-55 profil: 38-43 psi
17" 35-50 profil: 40-45 psi
18" 35-50 profil: 42-47 psi
19" 30-45 profil: 42-47 psi

And with my 195/40/16 tyre, im using 40 psi.

Regards ViCan2

P.S.
Just found this link on web.
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-pressure.asp
Hit the "pounds force(PSI) or BAR pressure."

·
Registered
Kia Picanto 2004
6 Posts
Originally posted by frishki@Jul 15 2005, 11:40 PM
I drive my Picanto for a month now and I have passed 830 km. I've calculated that with one full tank I can drive for around 450 kilometers. That would be around 13 km/l, right? Or am I calculating it wrong?
Hi frishki

That sounds about the same as what we experienced in the first months. I think we're somewhere between 11 and 12.000 km now but the milage still various a great deal I think. It's far better than 13, it's probably 17 or 18 now but sometimes I have been able to get very close to 20 km/l.

I kinda tease my girlfriend that she's not able to get it past 18 but she calls it coinsidence when I'm able to push it higher. I think I call it driving pattern.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hi Stoejer,

No offense to the female gender :) but I've come to the same conclusion regarding driving pattern.

My wife never got her Fabia performing better than hardly 18 km/l but I've had it running 21+ km/l even with A/C running and considerable highway cruises.

The same goes for MY Picanto (as she mostly drives her Fabia). I have now a very regular average of nearly 21 km/l with A/C running but she has only succeeded in getting it running 18 km/l :grin:

I observed that my wife somehow revs the engine up and her shifting pattern is more rough (hard to explain). I believe this means something in the big perspective.

A colleague of mine has an old Felicia 1.3 which definitely isn't a fuel saving car. He runs an average of 21 km/l with more than 200 km highway driving a day! As far as I recall the car is set to appr 14 km/l on the EEC-norm.

So - octane and driving pattern definitely means a lot.

Cheers,
Kneeler

1 - 18 of 18 Posts