Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2018 on 5/16/20. Ebony Black.
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these things OK to use? They all look nice, but I wonder if they will stay on long, and if the finish of these accessories will last.
I would like to add some chrome accents, but rather keep a good running car that won't look horrible with peices falling apart on it in a few years that I have to worry about safely removing adhesive.

If some do last and are OK to install, please recommend a brand or vendor that has worked well with Sorento.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,321 Posts
Just noted mention of 3M earlier in another thread. Depends. As the other poster noted, 3M UHB is wicked sticky stuff, with VHB not far behind. Have done some retrofits of other types of equipment that required double sided tape, and the 3M UHB was positively astounding. The techs really needed pay attention to placement, because there was no chance of disassembling the somewhat delicate parts safely the next day when QA got around to inspecting the work. I wouldn't have any qualms about affixing something to the vehicle with it, providing I was sure I never wanted to take it off!

I'd surely want to know which 3M bonding material was used before making the call, but if it's 3M, the backer (removed) tape will always show the 3M brand and which adhesive is involved.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the stuff does not say. The better looking accessories are sold from South Korea. This one is made in USA, so at least there is someone I can call and ask.
Tyger Auto Fit Kia Sorento Lower Accent Trim 6PC, but neither does this say what adhesive it uses.

Are there particular makers to avoid, or types of parts? For example, pillar posts look appealing. But after install, do they become vertical flaps and start to degrade because they are narrow and vertical?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
886 Posts
What accessories are you speaking of??
I don't follow what your trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,321 Posts
Sounds like he's just looking at a few external trim accessories that use double sided tape to attach. He left a good link example in his previous post. The adhesive quality does make a difference in long term durability.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What accessories are you speaking of??
I don't follow what your trying to accomplish.
I am looking to dress up the vehicle a little more with some exterior chrome accessory accents. But, I know I shouldn't just trust anything sold by Ebay or Amazon, in USA or Canada, or even in South Korea. So, I am trying to find out what kind of trim to stay away from, and what trim qualities I should look for, or even brands to stay away from. I don't want to glue junk to the car. I do not intend on putting a lot on the car, just a little bit, I hope.

This is more a general question, but perhaps someone here knows of a good vendor specific for the Sorentos.

I just realized that the trim I did post, I won't want to use perhaps, because it would require that I remove 4 emblems, an "AWD" and a "FE" on both sides, unless they are easy to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts