Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 2016 Kia Soul. This will be a vehicle that is only used occasionally. In the past, I kept the battery of such cars charged with a trickle-charger plugged into the cigarette lighter jack. This car has such jacks but I find they are only active when the key is in accessory or run position. I need a way to get a direct connection to the battery from inside like my previous cars. Can someone tell me how to do this with the Soul?

Thanks much- Nat

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
I recently acquired a 2016 Kia Soul. This will be a vehicle that is only used occasionally. In the past, I kept the battery of such cars charged with a trickle-charger plugged into the cigarette lighter jack. This car has such jacks but I find they are only active when the key is in accessory or run position. I need a way to get a direct connection to the battery from inside like my previous cars. Can someone tell me how to do this with the Soul?

Thanks much- Nat
"Trickle charger" as they were called many years ago could wreck a battery if left on too long.

Battery Tenders are the later technology - they can be left on the batter indefinitely as they are electronically regulated.

If you have things such as security etc. then best to get a battery tender at least 1A.

I used a cord with a quick connect attached to my battery making it easy to put it on the tender while in the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I have has a regulator to prevent over-charging. The battery in my previous car was 6 years old and still worked fine.

I don't want to have to open the hood to make a connection. Before I had a window rolled down just enough to pass the cord through.
This worked well and is what I want to do again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
all the asian cars we've owned, Honda, Toyota, Mazda (back in the 90's), Kia, the cigarette light goes off when the engine is off.

you'll have to get a battery tender/charger that clamps directly onto your battery terminals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to have to have the hood up in the weather so I don't think this is a satisfactory solution.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
I don't want to have to have the hood up in the weather so I don't think this is a satisfactory solution.
You can't charge the battery from the cig lighter. Hooking a battery tender to your battery is the only way. Sorry if this is not a satisfactory solution...

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you've ever seen the wires that feed a cigarette lighter receptacle, you'll understand why it probably isn't a good idea to backfeed power through them to the battery. They're quite thin. Kinda like people who think it's a good idea to power their homes by backfeeding generator power into their main electrical panel through a dryer receptacle. It may or may not work, but it's definitely a fire hazard.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you've ever seen the wires that feed a cigarette lighter receptacle, you'll understand why it probably isn't a good idea to backfeed power through them to the battery. They're quite thin. Kinda like people who think it's a good idea to power their homes by backfeeding generator power into their main electrical panel through a dryer receptacle. It may or may not work, but it's definitely a fire hazard.

Cheers!
Back when they were actually used for cigarette lighters the wire was pretty heavy because a cigarette lighter draws a lot of current to heat up in seconds. Since smoking is less common now a days they are mostly used for low power devices. In fact, the Soul I got didn't even come with a lighter. But this charger is a low-current device- just use to replace the charge a battery loses when sitting. I think it's rated at 1-amp max.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Nat Kayle
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing