Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pican and some others have this "trek trek" sound coming out from the driver side front dashboard where the steering are. U must be on un-even or bumpy road and slow speed and turning. I like members here to drive their Pican to multi-storey carpark where they have the road going up to each floor turning and the surface of road must be with lines. Those lines are actually for traction purpose so your tyre won't slip while going up. It's on this kind of surface that u can test your pican whether they have that "trek trek" sound problem.
To test, u must off your music, going up the slope with low speed mayb around 40 and must be turning. Of cos the road must be with the lines so it's kind of like bumpy and if your car have the "trek trek" sound problem, than u should be able to hear it loudly.
I hope any memebers who come accross any shopping mall carpark with the above description where the road going up to each level is with lines and is turning up, please provide the location here so any member who is willing to test their pican will go there and try out, no need to crack their head and think which Multi-storey carpark.

Example: Malaysia/Sabah/Kota Kinabalu: Karamunsing Car Park (location).

Please feedback here if you've discovered anything. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
yes i'm experiencing the same funny knocking/rattling sound. seems to be coming from the driver's side dashboard area.. somewhere under the dashboard/steering area. a metal knocking sound that only occurs when turning on rough terrain. no sounds when on a straight stretch of rough terrain. any1 with any ideas/solutions? been to the service centre for numerous times and never came close to a solution. :(

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
I thought I had a problem but I found the cause - the air freshner dangling from the handlebar thing behind me!

Kevin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Count me in guys, as having similar sound coming from the driver's side dashboard-only when turning. I have already crawled under the dash and poked inside but all those parts that I've managed to reach were tightly fit. Nothing's moving or loose. The sound could be coming from under the hood, too. I will surely let you know if I should find a solution to this annoying noise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't bother open up and tighten any screws that u can see. We have done that few times. And the sound is still there. Until recently we wrote a complain letter to Kia and finally we get a call from local Technician from Kia saying they know the prolbem and the complain is forwarded to Korea. It's something to do with the steering pump. It's something like the builtup pump from the steering while turning produces the sound. But this doesn't not happen to all pican. Only the selected one like us........... :bwekk:
So now the solution is waiting for korea to improve the problem and send the part over and have it exchanged. So we are in the process of waiting now. But we do have assurance that it's safe to drive the car.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
There have been similar problems with steering pumps on Corsa's where they burn out because they get too hot.

Kevin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by jjomal@Sep 5 2005, 06:53 AM
Don't bother open up and tighten any screws that u can see. We have done that few times. And the sound is still there. Until recently we wrote a complain letter to Kia and finally we get a call from local Technician from Kia saying they know the prolbem and the complain is forwarded to Korea. It's something to do with the steering pump. It's something like the builtup pump from the steering while turning produces the sound. But this doesn't not happen to all pican. Only the selected one like us........... :bwekk:
So now the solution is waiting for korea to improve the problem and send the part over and have it exchanged. So we are in the process of waiting now. But we do have assurance that it's safe to drive the car.
thanks, jjomal. that info was really useful. by the way, to whom did you write your complaint letter? To the Kia dealer you bought the car from? I am also planning to write them a formal complaint letter since all my complaints by word of mouth only doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the link, jjomal. I have written a letter using the email form in the link. I can only hope that I could get a response as quick as the response you got from your dealer in Malaysia. I will update you as soon as something happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I promised to update you guys as soon as anything happened to my complaint about the rattling sound when turning. Here is my update.

1. I wrote a formal complaint to Kia National Service Manager for the Philippines and to the Manager of the dealer I bought the Picanto from, stating the subject problem which was not yet solved.

2. The response was immediate. On the same day that the National Service Manager received a fax copy of my letter, he rang me up and set a schedule for inspection of the car by their engineer itself- not just the service crew from the dealer.

3. During the inspection which was conducted on the dealer's service area to coincide with my 25,200km scheduled maintenance, the engineer discovered that the source of the subject sound came from the muffler. I know, this is quite hard to believe seeing as the sound seems to come from the left hand side of the car, not the center where the muffler is. But they tested it by climbing a winding incline right there at the dealer's premises. They also reproduced the sound not only when turning but when going straight by merely playing with the clutch and gas pedals. I was not in the car when they tested this.

4. To prove their point, they temporarily exchanged my old muffler with a new one borrowed from a new Picanto. This time, I was there driving the car myself. I noticed that the subject sound disappeared. At least, during my road test.

5. The solution they proposed is a change of muffler. My muffler will replaced with a new one Thursday, two days from today. Original Kia, of course. Once replaced, I can test it in earnest at my leisure, on my usual route and see if that indeed solved the problem. The engineer assured me that they will look into the problem again if the change in muffler did not solve it.

6. The Kia engineer also told me that the muffler problem was related to my other complaint: twitching of the stick shift on 4th gear, due to the fact that the vibration occurs on the shifting area which is directly above the muffler line. During my road test with the borrowed new muffler, I noticed that indeed the stick shift seemed more rigid and have a solid feel to it even on 4th gear. The twitching was gone. Again, I must add, at least, during my road test.

7. I still have my doubts that the muffler was the culprit. But I most certainly appreciate the speedy response of my dealer and the response of the National Picanto Distributor itself who lend one of their engineers to the dealer to help solve this problem. I would be very satisfied if the change of muffler would solve the problem, not to mention that my old muffler would be replaced with a new one. You might have noticed that this is the second time that the muffler was blamed as the culprit for the subject noise. There is another thread here where one Picanto owner had the muffler welded on a support and the sound was gone... as related by his friend who posted the finding.

8. I asked what was it about the muffler that would cause this noise? It would seem that some parts inside the muffler line itself have come loose and triggers the sound when the car is jolted on bumps and when turning because of the natural, heavier vibration when slowing down before downshifting. For this reason, they wil not weld it but replace it with a new one. Fine by me. Between old and new, I'd be be very happy with a new muffler. However, I'll keep the "welding the muffler solution" at the back of my mind, just in case.

9. Finally, they reinstalled my old muffler and on my way back home, the funny sound returned. There are now other new but tiny metallic sounds as well. I guess these have something to do with the reconnected old muffler which was re-adjusting itself.

We'll see on Thursday and the coming days henceforth...

·
Registered
21 Posts
By the way, the new muffler is still covered by warranty. I also mentioned that perhaps the sound could be coming from the steering pump as mentioned above in this thread by jjomal. Their findings did not support this, however. Well, let's see on Thursday.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear that the respond was fast. And they've found the problem. Hopefully that's the right thing that they've replaced. And hope you will feedback once you've tested it yourself. Why is their explaination different from each country? So far in malaysia, our parts is not change yet. I will feedback here too once i have any new discovery.
Anyway, congratulation to you buddy. :clap:

·
Registered
24 Posts
speaking of weird sound...
i've been observing "grunting sound" at low speed (meaning when i start to move the car form idle to perhaps 5~10kph....) :huh:
any insights?.... my rpm is not getting lower than 1200rpm at this point.....

further, i am experiencing an intermittent contacts with my horn... i almost smash the button, annoyed last time it happened... i'm quite far and too busy to bring the car to the service center, so 'thought maybe its worth to ask first just to be at least to be aware, and be able to probably diy instead.... i have 1900km in odo, btw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My muffler was replaced yesterday and my initial observations as it relates to my original complaints were:

It did not exactly solve the sound when turning, the "trek-trek" sound that is. When I arrived in our place which is far from city traffic and city noise, that's when I noticed that the noise when turning was still there although I must say, it diminished. The twitching of my stick shift on 4th gear also diminished, owing perhaps to the tighter and more stable new muffler.

I think that the cause of the intermittent turning noise at the left hand side was something else under the dashboard in front of the driver. I won't go back to the dealer anytime soon as I am still observing the performance of my new muffller.

The trouble with this "trek-trek" sound as jjomal put it, was that, in my case, it is not always there when you turn. It is highly intermittent. Now you hear, now you don't. It is quite hard to convince the dealer's mechanics of its existence. For the time being, I'll wait until it gets very loud and noticeable and go back to the dealer. I still have two (2) years worth of warranty left so I am not so worried. jjomal's dealer has suspected the cause as coming from the steering pump so I'll look forward to his updates about this.

Now the good thing about the new muffler is this:
It totally solved the noise problem I thought was just normal and one I did yet complain about. This is the muffler's vibrating noise when you start to move your car from standstill at first gear and you happen to use not enough gas while releasing the clutch pedal. I think this is the same "grunting sound" that the poster jemu was referring to. All this time, I thought it was merely engine noise when the engine is forced to move the car using little gas. When my muffler was replaced, this noise was totally gone!

According to a picanto-yahoo group of Filipino Picanto owners, it appeared that I was the fourth (4th) Picanto owner here in the Philippines who has his muffler replaced on account of this unique muffler vibration. Their problems were directly related to the muffler "grunting noise" not the "trek-trek" turning sound.

jemu also mentioned problem with the horn. This is the second time I heard it. One Filipino Picanto owner also has this problem and a visit to the dealer was all that was needed to resolve it. The sole Philippine Picanto distributor at least has already known about this muffler problem and they are replacing those noisy mufflers with new, improved ones when you complain about it. Not all Picantos have it. Only the lucky ones, hehehe.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the response of my dealer. Other than these noise, my Picanto unit doesn't have any engine, structural, or suspension problems. More like annoyances, really.

Have a safe and enjoyable motoring. Please share any development about your complaints, too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
nice info there straydog....
bt who's your dealer btw... i got mine from wheels (e rodriguez), but i'm from down south...if we have the same dealer, can you refer anyone in particular? please pm me, i'd appreciate it very much! i plan to call first before visiting....

·
Registered
21 Posts
jemu,

Sorry I can't use pm and give you phone numbers or contact persons. But it's no problem going to my dealer which is Signet at Mandaluyong City, beside Boni-MRT Station. I think the 3 other fellows who had their Picanto mufflers replaced were from Kia Quezon Avenue, but I'm not sure. If you decide to go to Signet Mandaluyong, and they ask how come you went there instead of going to Wheels, tell them the truth, of course, hehehe. You might also want to tell them you knew of a Picanto whose muffler noise they successfully fixed by replacing it with a new, improved one. They should know what to do. Bring your warranty booklet. I believe the warranty applies to all authorized Kia dealers.

Good luck, Pare. Please give us a feedback, too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok, thanks straydog. 'might as well go quezon ave if that's the case...
i'll keep you posted... though it may take some time :blush:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts