Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from my Kia dealer. Was there to have the stereo replaced......cd player would not accept discs. I came out being told that I need a new transmission. I looked in the shop and there was an Amanti receiving a new transmission. Anyone else going or been down this road????

Todd

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
19 Posts
Thats very interesting, you went in because the stereo wasnt accepting cd's but in the course of replacing the stereo they decided your transmission failed? were you having trouble with the trans prior to coming to the dealer? or is the problem with the stereo somehow tied to the transmission? I would be asking alot of questions, ie: Are you sure were talking about the same car??

Cant wait to read more about this one. :|

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was talking to the girl who runs the parts counter at my dealership. We were discussing how quiet the car is and the funny sounds that you would not normally hear. I mentioned a whistle that I had when the car was coasting with no load on the engine. She looked at me funny and mentioned the Amanti in her shop for a new tranny. Two in the shop on the same day. Twenty minutes later a tech was test driving my car and bingo.....new transmission on order. What I thought was a normal sound is the sign of a problem with the final gear (5th). Apparently it is a problem.......no delay....they are changing the transmission immediately...no further questions asked.

Listen to your as it coasts down hill....does it whistle or whine????

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
19 Posts
Mine does it as im kinda coasting, but it sounds more like a gearish kinda noise. didnt know it was a problem though. tranny doesnt slip or anything. just thought it was a normal sound. usually occurs between higher 4th and coasting in 5th. definately not a whistle sound though.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
19 Posts
Called the dealer today to ask them if they had heard anything regarding a problem with the transmission, and the problem you described. They said that they hadnt heard anything like that. went to edmunds.com and read the service bulletins to date,and there doesnt seem to be anything in them that describes what your talking about. kinda curious now.

does the person your dealing with have any more information on this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi!
At the end of last year, (I already owned mine for almost a year at the time, 1/04), I mentioned to the service tech that my transmission "whines" a little in 4th gear. (This was during a routine service call and not a special trip). He offered to replace the transmission immediately. I asked him if he thought the tranny was going to be a problem or if I can just live the slight whine. He said that it would probably be fine, and that we'd keep an eye on it. So I decided against a new tranny. I thought the cure may be worse than the disease. I felt taking out the engine or whatever it is they do, my car would never be the same -as it came from the factory. So, (knock on wood -and I'm not kidding here) my tranny has performed fine since then (other than a slight whine in 4th -no big deal really).

Anyway I thought I'd share that experience with you.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
There was a problem with a batch of transmissions that went into some of the Amanti's (and some Sedonas). MOST AMANTIS DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.A note would have popped up that it needed to be checked when the dealer entered the warranty screen. That's why they just "happened" to check the transmission.

Tgear, try changing your ATF fluid. I bet you'll see little glitters (metal) in it. If you don't want to do that, try removing your input speed sensor from the transmission (one 10mm bolt below the air tube). You'll probably find shavings on that too. Just wipe it off with a clean white towel so you can see them better. It's not a big deal to change it, just don't let the warranty run out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about having the transmission changed....things like this happen all the time.

Actually, I am looking forward to an even quieter car !!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts