Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Kia Spectra '07 Kia Sedona
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my trans fluid changed by Sears back in Nov. '12. During the last couple of months, I seemed to smell trans fluid every now and then. Checked for leaks but found nothing and level was always good. Well, in April during our spring break trip, engine light came on and indicated silenoid problem and on our way back transmission would not go into overdrive. Would go into 5th gear but would not rev down to what I think is overdrive. Took it to dealer when we got back and they said fluid smelled burned and needed new tranny. 2100 dollar estimate. I took it to different mechanic to do it cheaper and he also commented that fluid smelled burned. Do you think it is coincidence that after fluid change at Sears that problems happened and how do I prove that it was their fluid. Have already had new tranny put in for 1500.00. Do you think Sears will admit to wrong fluid or am I hosed?

Thanks

·
Registered
'07 Kia Spectra '07 Kia Sedona
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, should reveal mileage was about 105,000. So, transmission could have already been going out but seems fishy to me.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
With the old transmission now swapped out, I think it's a bit late. Is there any evidence remaining that it was the wrong fluid?

Was 100,000 (Miles?) the suggested service interval? Any signs of trouble before that?

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Places like that will almost always use some generic, universal "one size fits all" type of fluid and for specialized applications they just don't cut it IMO. I agree most likely you got the wrong fluid and it led to transmission failure. I don't see how you'd make good on any claim at this late date though.

I have the same problem with my Jeep, it takes a lot of special fluids and I constantly have to badger them to make sure they get it right, I often have to pay an upcharge as well. That's at a certified Napa auto center with Master Mechanics, so you can imagine what you're dealing with at a Sears full of guys who are kinda handy with cars. :(

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Kia transmissions are very, very picky. If you don't use SPIII, they don't last very long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts