Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Borrego EX V8 97K miles. About 3 yrs ago I had it in for routine service which included some sort of computer upgrade. Ever since then I have noticed a hard downshift to first gear when coming to a stop. Not a huge clunk but a noticeable bump. I took it back and they said it was normal shifting. I figured I would just live with it.
About 6 mos ago I was sideswiped on the driver side. Not a big deal, but needed both doors replaced. My insurance company wanted to total the car!! There was no damage to the engine or drivetrain. I decided to retitle the car as salvage vehicle and have the doors fixed myself as I use it for towing horses.
Just last month, I took the car in to the dealer for routine care and had them check out the downshifting. They tell me there are multiple error codes and only a new transmission will fix the problem ($13k) and since it is retitled, the transmission warranty is expired! I called big Kia and got the same response. I argued the dealer misdiagnosed the problem 3 years ago and the retitling should have no bearing especially as there was no change in ownership. Comments? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
No one can comment on this unless you post whatever transmission codes have been set, and that needs to be done outside of this stealership. Take it somewhere (independent shop, etc.) that has a unit capable of reading your vehicle's transmission, have the codes read there, and post them on this thread.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The V8 Borrego uses the same ZF 6HP26 transmission that the Ford F150 pick up does. Go to your local Ford Store and have them do a scan on transmission codes. See what they have to say about repair or software reflash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Codes

Here are the codes:
Engine: P0391, P0430
ESC: C1612
4WD: U0101
IPM: B1605
Others regarding airbag and tpms
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You didn't list any transmission codes, or any other code that would indicate a transmission problem. Are these the codes read at the stealershp, or from somewhere else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions. The C1612 code says “lost communication with TCM”. The U0101 code says “lost communication with TCM (C-CAN). The car runs well except for this hiccup. The other question is should it still be under warranty with the change in titling to a salvage vehicle in my name. Kia says no warranty since the retitling. I understand the warranty would not be binding if I sold the car to someone else and they then complained about this issue to Kia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
G0lfer
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing