Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 has just under 600 miles on it. Since I got it, I've noticed a whining noise. I dismissed it initially because I have very sensitive hearing and figured it was probably something no one else would notice. Today while driving I identified that it only seems to whine at 1200 rpm or above and when it shifts and causes the rpms to fall below 1200 it isn't present.
Is this something I need to be concerned about and have looked at? Or could this just be the car isn't anywhere near "broken in" yet and it could go away, or is this normal and I'm just overly sensitive to the pitch?

I don't want to ignore it if it is the sign of an issue, but, I also don't want to take it in and have them look at me like I'm out of my mind.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This could simply be a function of the gears. Gears are noisier the closer to a straight cut they are. Thisb is why many cars make a whine sound when they reverse. Reverse is commonly made if straight cut gears

Australian V8 supercars use straight cut gears and have a distinctive sound because if it.
https://youtu.be/thqB_OjQjb0

https://youtu.be/Zy4kYFWZ1_g

·
Registered
124 Posts
Please give your vehicle some time and miles to break in. Even with superior manufacturing standards used today components still need to 'bed', 'seat, and 'match' to one another. Transmissions are no exception. Try not to perform WOT starts from a stand still for at least 1200 - 1500 miles. If the perceived noise continues beyond this have the dealer look at it during your first oil change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My wife says that she can hear a similar whine so i took into the dealership ship and of course they could hear anything......well else is new.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I checked the fluid level multiple times to be sure it was full, the whine is very slight but barely noticeable at lower vehicle speeds , nothing severe at all, and is also a noise I have heard on lots of transmissions in the past.

A loud whine would be concerning, as that could be a clogged filter or pump issue. Slight whine not so much. If it is shifting and doing it's job properly, not running too hot, and generally behaving, I don't think a very slight low speed whine is anything to get concerned about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
pcguy
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing