Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a repo 2010 Kia Rio5. 33K on the car. Took it to a dealership for safety inspection etc. Rotors being done under warranty. Balance of "scheduled maintenance" to bring the vehicle up to date will cost about $600, ie: brake service, oil & a $179 transmission flush, which according to their scheduled maintenance guide is done every 32K.

The dealership made it clear that:

1 - anyone can do the trans service but ONLY Kia fluid can be used
2 - if the service is not done, Kia may void the warranty.

They say the owner has to authorize the trans be taken apart (about 10 hrs) & then they determine the problem & Kia make a decision as to whether they will honor the warranty. Customer pretty much at their mercy under those terms.

I also own a 2010 Mazda 3 & a transmission flush, "while recommended", is not only their scheduled maint schedule till about 100K. And Mazda made it clear it is covered, service or not, during the warranty period.

I read an earlier thread from 2010 where this issue was discussed. I would be interested in anyone who can speak to the 2 points I've raised.

thank you

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Get out your owners manual and look at section 7. There is no required Normal maintenance for transmission fluid. The Severe maintenance is 60k, which is still double your current mileage. All that is required is a drain and fill, not a flush or exchange, although the exchange will replace ~90% of the fluid vs. ~40% doing the drain and fill. If you do the service or someone else other than the dealer, save the receipt for your records and make sure is shows what type of fluid is used and that it is compatible.

What is required at 30k, that oddly enough your dealer didn't mention, is spark plugs. 60k is usually the major service: t-Belt, spark plugs(again), coolant, trans fluid.

Read your owners manual, it is a wealth of useful info and can save you lots of money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts