Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got to work the other day, pulled into the yard where I park, stopped to shift into reverse and my PRND gear indicator on the dash went dark, no indicator lights. I put it drive to park in my spot and the trans is in fail safe 3rd gear.

I went to lunch and the speedo is not working, and neither is the odometer, everything else, tach, gauges, all work fine. Drove home and after about 45 mins i got a CEL, pulled the code and got a P0707.

I have been reading other posts where people have had similar problems but they never posted what the solution was. If anyone on here can point me in a direction I would be thankful.

This is a early year 06, and I have ordered an output shat sensor hoping for an easy fix.

·
Registered
06 Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got digging into this more and found a blown back up lamp fuse. Changed it and as soon as I put the gear shift in reverse it blows again. I am thinking it is the reverse switch but I can't find the dam thing. I have been all over KGIS with no luck.

Surely someone can tell me where the reverse switch is. I have found them online and know what they look like but can't find it on the car.

Come on, someone surely can give me some info.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Mike I just went to kiatechinfo.com and in under 2 minutes found the backup light switch.
I used the 2.7L info as you did not provide what engine you had.
I selected Optima(MG) (2006-2010)
Then 2006
Then in the "Select Table" box (Orange at the top) selected ETM for 2006
On the left side I selected G2.7 DOHC
Then Back-Up Lamps
Then selected Schematic Diagrams that brought up the wiring of the back up lamp switch...
If you look closely at that area you will see some blue reference numbers...Click on them..In this case it's C37...it will bring up the connector C37....At the top you will see ...
Connector|Component|Harness
Click on "Component" and there you will find where the Back Up Switch is located (right on top of the transmission).
You can use the "BLUE" numbers for just about any component...
The only thing the 10A back-Up fuse feeds is the Transaxle Range Switch and the Back-Up switch...then it feeds the back up lamps (bulbs), the instrument cluster (LCD display for PRND, an the Back Wiring Control Module...
Hope this helps...
I have said before that kiatechinfo site has a pretty steep learning curve and things are not always where you think they should be logically.. If you are willing to experiment and look you will eventually find what you need...
Please be sure to post what you found and it's cure for others...
Dave

·
Registered
06 Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave,

You are right on the learning curve, I just figured out why I can pull the diagrams up, only works in IE not Mozilla. I also figured out something else, no reverse switch on an automatic, only the manual.

Here is where I am so far, the fuse only blows when I shift the car into reverse. Now I am trying to figure out what is causing the over current. Got any advice on this one?

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
That's all right mike..
I'm still sorting things out....Like there is (2) 2006 Optimas...
Got the 2006~ (on) the first time and the 2001~2006 the second time...
The second does not have a "back-up lamps" area!
I went back and re-read your first post and found you have an "early" 2006 BUT I don't see a "Back-up Lamp" fuse for this model. So it looks like you may have a "later" 2006.. (my mind going in circles).

I need some clarifications ...
Looks like you have a "later" 2006 Optima
Your comment about no backup switch on automatic tells me you have an Automatic
Do you have the 2.4L or the 2.7L V6?
Do you have a back up warning system?

From what I can piece together you may have a bad (transmission mode/inhibitor) switch. It is located on the top of the automatic transmission, has a harness connection, and is shaped like a piece of pie, It moves as you select PRND. The backup light power runs through the "R" (reverse) connection then through some harness connectors back to the back up lamps and also to the "Back-up warning control module" located in the trunk near the right hand tail lamp and the "rear power outlet", behind the dress-up panel. Check the PRND/inhibit switch first as they have failed before (usually water/corrosion) Then if you have that "Warning module" it may have died causing your dead short. Unplug it.
I'll keep working with you to sort out this mess..
Dave

·
Registered
06 Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

Sorry about the confusion, this is an early 06, 4cyl with an auto trans. I changed the inhibitor switch and it still blows the back up fuse. It is in the kick panel, 10A, it is listed as B/UP. It is in the second to the last row, 3rd one down.

I am still at a loss.

Mike O

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
For a 2006 (early) Optima with 2.4L Automatic...
kiatechinfo selections..
Optima (MS) [2001-2006]
ETM table
Engine Transaxle Control System (DOHC)(2004.08.30)
Schematic Diagrams
Number [7] (of 10)
The output of the "Inhibitor switch" "R" (Reverse) is a white wire that goes to

-The ECM/TCM module D8

-The Speed Sensor (unknown location, referenced to on
"Stop Lamps" schematic F-2

-The Homelink (91) section T (Garage Door Unit)

-The instrument Cluster section C-1C

and to...

The tail lights via a white wire (to both lamps/bulbs)

You could check the backup feed wire that goes to the bulbs in the rear of the car by removing the b/up fuse and removing both bulbs. The wire should read infinity (very high resistance) with your multimeter black lead to the body/ground and the red lead to the center button inside the lamp socket. If it reads very low resistance with the fuse and bulbs out then that wire is probably pinched/shorted to ground somewhere in the harness or one of the other areas above....

Why don't you make up a test lamp with one of the blown fuses as a "plug"...
A #194 12v .5w lamp in place of the fuse will light as long as there is a short.
It will limit the current to a safe level while you search for the short and a 194 has connections that can be bent away from the wedge base for easy connection/use.

So that's what is involved in the Backup circuitry per KAI.
Hope this helps...
Dave

·
Registered
06 Optima
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it works, and I'm not sure why. I put the new switch in, and went to the trunk and pulled everything apart. I have a little test light and put it in the fuse spot, back up bulb sockets, and the white wire at the neutral switch, nothing.

So after some consulting with my brother who make wiring harness for GM LS motors I made a desperate move. I replaced the 10A fuse that kept blowing with a 30A. I decided that I will replace what ever blows. I turned the key and put it in reverse for a minute or so and nothing smoked and the fuse held. I shut it off and put the 10A back in and tried it again, and it didn't blow. I drove it around the neighborhood for a bit and it kept working. Drove to work today, 45 miles and parked, all good so I am at a loss.

I do think you were correct with the inhibitor/neutral switch, and what ever the fuse issue was I pushed it through like a shunt trip.

Thanks for your help Dave.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Mike...
You said "I decided that I will replace what ever blows"
It could have been the whole car...

I would truly be afraid of your brothers suggestions...
With a 30 Amp fuse you could have been calling the local fire department and buying another car. That is more than enough current to catch the wiring harness on fire and possibly somewhere where access was not easy to get to...Allowing carpeting or plastic to support a raging fire... The "problem" has not been "solved"...You only temporarily blew away the short (proof of the amount of current that flowed through the wire). There is STILL an area that is bare and it will return in the future even worse because of the heat and melted metal because of this act...

I have seen this more than once in electronic equipment where this thought prevailed... Usually after much flames and personal loss.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dave. My name is Chris and I am in Green Ohio. I have a 2004 Kia Optima 2.4L and I am having these same issues! I am willing to fix it the Proper way. Could you help?? Very frustrating!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts