Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like the torque converter in our 2017 Sportage EX (15,000 kms) is not locking up when it should. Been happening a lot lately.

Driving along on level ground at between 40-80 kmh with minimal pressure on the gas pedal, just enough to maintain the speed as you would in city traffic, and you roll your foot slowly to marginally increase speed to maintain your position in traffic, when the revs flash from say 2000 to 5000 for 1-2 seconds before the thing locks up.

Going to see the dealer this week..........maybe it's a TCU flash or something, but my question is, has anyone else had this problem ?

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD Pacific Blue with Cool Gray Interior
47 Posts
I've been having a similar issue. Has happened to both my 2011 Sportage SX and my new 2017 Sportage SX.. Also when accelerating with about "half-pedal" or a bit more, almost feels like it shudders a bit like its slipping a bit.

The other issue that has been present in both cars is sometimes after a harder than normal acceleration, it feels like the turbo cuts out, and the car has virtually no power. Step on the gas, the engine revs up to 5000 and speed crawls up slowly. Also seems to not shift right, and the drive mode and switching to manual shift mode makes no difference. The only way to make it "reset" and run normally is to turn the car off and back on. Definitely a scary moment when you are pulling out into traffic and all the sudden it feels like you shifted into neutral. Took to dealer and turbo waste gate needed adjusted, happened multiple times to the point i just got used to turning it off and back on.

Quick video of the engine revs up and speed stays almost the same.

2017 SX: https://youtu.be/-_rg-jaxmFA
2011 SX: https://youtu.be/EEWojiGyqsE

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
74 Posts
Seems like the torque converter in our 2017 Sportage EX (15,000 kms) is not locking up when it should. Been happening a lot lately.

Driving along on level ground at between 40-80 kmh with minimal pressure on the gas pedal, just enough to maintain the speed as you would in city traffic, and you roll your foot slowly to marginally increase speed to maintain your position in traffic, when the revs flash from say 2000 to 5000 for 1-2 seconds before the thing locks up.

Going to see the dealer this week..........maybe it's a TCU flash or something, but my question is, has anyone else had this problem ?
Yes I've noticed it too (14500km). Just started happening in the past month or so. Seems to happen between 2nd and 3rd. Car is due for oil change soon, so I'll have the dealership check it out.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo
239 Posts
I've been having similar problems with my 2017 SX. Not a huge fan of the transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
329 Posts
Yes I've noticed it too (14500km). Just started happening in the past month or so. Seems to happen between 2nd and 3rd. Car is due for oil change soon, so I'll have the dealership check it out.
I had similar problems during the winter, but once I started letting the engine run at idle after initial startup until the rpms came down to a normal range (just under 1k rpm), the problem was never noticed again. And since the weather has warmed it has not been an issue.

Not saying that this is your experience, but it was mine.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking the wife's Sportage into the dealer Tuesday. Service writer says there may be TSB's for the transmission that might possibly correct this. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LOL........there was no fault found (which is what I was expecting) as well as no stored codes (which I was not expecting).

They updated the software, so let's see how it goes over the next 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
'17 Sportage EX Prem/Tech
102 Posts
2017 EX. About a year old with 10K miles. Wife's every day driver. She mentioned this to me but I kinda blew her off. It has since happened to me a few times.

Rio, be curious what TSB they did. Due for an oil change soon.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's happened again just like I thought it would. Twice in the last two days actually.

Of course, unless it happens when the tech drives it, they won't do anything.......it's seems on the automotive internet web forums I continually read about dealership service departments hiding behind the "no fault found" money saving line. Seem to be the norm nowadays.

I guess we'll just carry on until the transmission blows up......we've got lots of warranty remaining........heh.

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
68 Posts
Well it's happened again just like I thought it would. Twice in the last two days actually.

Of course, unless it happens when the tech drives it, they won't do anything.......it's seems on the automotive internet web forums I continually read about dealership service departments hiding behind the "no fault found" money saving line. Seem to be the norm nowadays.

I guess we'll just carry on until the transmission blows up......we've got lots of warranty remaining........heh.

Contact your state's attorney general office for specifics of their no lemon law. Get your insurance agent involved too. If this problem could cause an accident there may be another avenue to facilitate repairing this fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm in Canada............we don't have any lemon laws up here :mad:

We do have an arbitration program thru CAMVAP which has a buyback provision, but the CAMVAP program was designed by the industry, to protect the industry and specifically to do an end run around the potential imposition of lemon laws up here. It is not friendly towards the consumer. It is a PR fraud according to some of those who have used it.

If it's enough of an issue going forward, I'll document the 4-5 times that I bring it into the dealership and then decide what approach to take if the "no fault found" scenario continues. I don't blame my dealer at all, they are great, but their hands are tied. Financially just trading out of it at the time is likely the cheapest option. I am not loyal to KIA at all.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT-Line AWD Diesel
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Diesel AWD Sportage with 6000 kms in the clock and have had shuddering issues with the transmission. It happens while easing off the accelerator especially on an uphill incline. The dealer had checked car twice with nothing found and third time they have done a new engine cpu update. So far, so good and I notice an improvement in transmission feeling. The car holds gear slighty longer then it used to while traveling up a hill. Amazing what a software update can do.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
1,992 Posts
everything is controlled by software these days in these cars. manufacturers are still learning about the best way to configure and program engine and transmission controllers as they get more and more feedback from "cars in the field"

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We're going in for an oil service in 2 weeks, so I will have them write up the same complaint again on the work order. It has not stopped happening, it is always under the same circumstances, but the frequency of occurances has not increased as well.

It's definitely a software programming issue IMHO.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017
13 Posts
I have a 2017 LX which is doing the same thing. It seems to happen on
inclines, usually between 20-30 mph but for the life of me I can't reproduce
it "on demand". It seems completely random, happening maybe once or
twice a month.

·
Registered
2017 kia sportage
30 Posts
transmission shudder

Instant Shudder Fixx

I had the same problem and after using this product problem gone.

It is presented when torque converter goes into lock up at around 30mph on a small hill.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts