Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for taking the time to look at this.

I'm attempting to help my sister out with her 2001 kia sportage 2WD. For the last week or so it has been intermittently shifting at higher RPMs then normal so where between 3-4.5k. This is all gears. At the time she can not really afford major transmission work, so I'm attempting to figure this out before she needs to take it to a shop.

I was wondering what could change the shift points other then internal problems with the tranny. What makes me think this is outside the transmission is that a couple days ago she went to start it and the battery was dead. after it had sat outside the SUV for a day till I could get a new one in. It seemed to run fine and was shifting normally again, of course this is happening intermittently so.... I was wondering also if this could be caused by a bad Throttle position sensor? Don't know if it has a bad one just something my research turned up.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
The transmission is electronically shifted and the Computer relies on several inputs. One is the TPS but the load and temp are also required..

What is the service history on the unit??
Has the ATF been replaced in the past 30k?
Are there any warning lights illuminated??
Is the transmission just shifting high or is there a FLARE (slipping)??
...... Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmission is electronically shifted and the Computer relies on several inputs. One is the TPS but the load and temp are also required..

What is the service history on the unit??
Has the ATF been replaced in the past 30k?
Are there any warning lights illuminated??
Is the transmission just shifting high or is there a FLARE (slipping)??
...... Philip
Not sure if the ATF has been replaced or not but my sister is pretty good about having oil changed on time and what not. Fluid level looks good and the color seems good(not an expert though HVAC and computers are more my thing). Hrmm does not seem to be slipping. If you barely touch the gas pedal it seems to shift correctly, but if you drive it normally or try to pass the engine just climbs before down shifting. The RPMS just climb while waiting for it to shift then you get a hard shift. To be honest the more I think about this the more I think I might be explaining this wrong.....

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
If the RPM rises without a corresponding increase in speed, the transmission is slipping. Like driving a standard with left foot partially on clutch....

Change the ATF and filter.....Check the pan and magnet for debris..... Philip

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
TPS is definitely worth a check, if one of the wires gets loose or if it is providing false readings, it'll do just that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts