Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help

Yes....I know that this thread is old. However, my sister's car began with the same symptoms.

It's a 2005 Kia Optima. It started with the same exact symptoms. Slamming into gear and locking into 3rd gear until you eventually kill the car and restart.

Well, I instructed my sister to park the car until I was able to take a look at it, but she insisted on driving it as it was....that is, until the trans stopped pulling all together. I was actually taking it for a test run to see the symptoms for myself before trailoring the car to bring it to my shop. On the return trip, I was cruising along fine when the trans just stopped pulling. It was as if it was shifted into neutral and I coasted to a stop.

I have replaced both sensors (in/output speed sensors) as well as reset ecm/tcu and checked all fuses.

I did notice, however, that when you shift into gear (either reverse or drive) it makes a rapid "clicking" noise for a few seconds as if it's trying to go into gear. Other than that, there is nothing in either forward or reverse.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Optima SE, 2.5 V6
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Have you checked the fluid level? I sounds like either its low on fluid or the clutches inside are completely shot. I'm not a transmission expert someone with more knowledge may have other suggestions. It took me awhile to find out what you read so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fluid level is good, not burnt, and a nice color to it. There were no slippage of the clutches while it worked.

Got around to connecting my genisys to the car and I am getting U0101 which is no communication with TCM.

So, it looks like I will trace wires and check plugs/connections and maybe replace the TCM.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Spectra GSX
1 Posts
Fluid level is good, not burnt, and a nice color to it. There were no slippage of the clutches while it worked.

Got around to connecting my genisys to the car and I am getting U0101 which is no communication with TCM.

So, it looks like I will trace wires and check plugs/connections and maybe replace the TCM.
I see that you have identified the Input (Turbine sensor) as the output sensor (Speed sensor) they are in two different places, the first under the air filter /intake box (removing it makes removal possible) and the second is behind the engine by the starter ( the one with the gear on the end in the transmission (output sensor.

·
Registered
02 magentis v4 Sirius II 4G64
21 Posts
I got a p0500 code, and replaced both the VSS (big sensor with orange gear) and the other smaller sensor on top the trans (there is a picture of it earlier in the thread). Do I need to do that kind of relearn? The transmission i dont feel like shifts correctly, however no codes are set. Will the relearn occur during normal driving? i have been driving it for months.

basically, when i think it should shift, it doesnt seem to shift all the time. I thought it was just because i have the older transmission, not the better one (2003+) made by porsche but now I am thinking I may do a relearn. will post back after i get some time and road to do it.

I should also mention that both parts were from the junkyard, but i would expect bad parts to set codes. From above, it seems like that is maybe not always the case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure which speed sensor you guys are referring to but I bet you can help me with this.

I have 2004 Kia Amnati and getting a service fault code P0500- vehicle speed sensor "A".

The car has 3 speed sensors: transaxle, transmission input, and transmission output.

Anyone know which one is "A"??

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the 2002 optima dealer manual for the 2.4L DOHC mitsubishi motor it says:

p0500 = Vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction
caused by:
- open or short to battery between VSS and ECM
- Short to ground between VSS and ECM
- Open or short between VSS wires
- Faulty VSS

So i would inspect and then buy a new VSS. The V6 hyundia motor does not have a p0500 code, so you probably have 2.4L

The VSS if its like my car, will be around back kinda near the middle of the car, on transmission obviously, facing upward. I didnt have any trouble reaching it iirc, however the rubber ring makes it take some force to get out. You pull straight up. It will be the biggest of the 3 sensors, and it will be the only one with a gear (most likely).
The other sensors are induction or something based. They dont have moving parts.

I am 95% sure that the VSS is the sensor I am describing. Your manual may say "A", but dealer clearly says VSS. Unless they used the same code on another type of transmission that my book doesnt cover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pretty sure this is a magentis / optima forum. Check the trans fluid is full? I know almost nothing about transmissions in general. if theres no code, check fluid condition. Should be redish not black or brown. But you should try a different forum.

·
Registered
2002 kia sedona
1 Posts
I have a 2002 kia sedona We replace both input and output and still doing the same thing wont shift is there somthing I'm missing ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
:lol: Both the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor are located below the air box (Air cleaner) on the top of the transmission. They are very easy to replace. If your ECM reports a P0715 code its likely the input speed sensor if it reports a P0720 its likely the output speed sensor. Although they could each trigger the opposing codes. Its best to test the sensor using the processed outlined at Kiatechinfo Sign up for a free account and look under DTC (Default Trouble Codes) You will also want to check the connectors for broken or deteriorated wiring and test the connectors as outlined in the same section. After Replacing the Sensors You MUST Reset and reprogram the base line for the TCU (Transmission Controll Unit) To do this disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 or more seconds, then reconnect the cable and secure it. Get in and start the vehicle and drive it at a slow speed allowing it to shift into all 4 gears, slow the vehicle to a stop and accelerate at moderate speed allowing it to shift into all 4 gears, slow the vehicle to a stop, accelerate at a high rate of speed (FLOOR IT) allowing it to shift into all 4 gears. Enjoy your newly repaired transmission. As a side note in my experience if the TCU is not reset the transmission will exhibit the same symptoms as before but will not set a trouble code.
This is very helpful!!! Thanks 2006 Kia Amanti Silver

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
This is very helpful!!! Thanks 2006 Kia Amanti Silver
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts