Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i did my first transmission service just about an hour ago. It's a 2007 Sportage EX 2.7 Auto AWD I read i would need 8.2 quarts of ATF, i drained out just over 4 by pulling the plug and it took just over 5 to get it back to the right level when hot in neutral. What the deal with needing a quart more than it had in it (no leaks at all that i can see) and why did i not take the full 8.2 quarts? Is the 8.2 quarts from completely empty? All i did is pull the plug and drain whatever came out. I must say it does run much smoother and shift nicer now with the new fluid (Castrol Import ATF) than it did before the service. I just wish i could get to the filter :/ Anyway any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
Draining the transmission fluid by removing the sump plug does just that, only the sump. There would have been fluid left behind in the transmission and torque converter.

Try this (kiatechinfo.com):
REPLACEMENT
If you have a fluid changer, use this changer to replace the fluid. If you do not, replace it using the following procedure.
1. Disconnect the hose, which connects the transmission and the oil cooler which is within the radiator only in 2.0L engine(2.7L-the oil cooler is separated).
2. Start the engine and let the fluid drain out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running conditions : "N" range with engine idling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The engine should be stopped within one minute after it is started. If the fluid has all drained out before then, the engine should be stopped at that point.

3. Romove the drain plug from the bottom of the transmission case to drain the fluid.
4. Install the drain plug with a new gasket, and tighten it to the specified torque.

TORQUE :
40 ~ 50Nm (400 ~ 500 kgf.cm, 29 ~ 36 lb-ft)

5. Pour the new fluid in through the oil filler tube.

Stop pouring if the full volume of fluid cannot be poured in.

6. Repeat the procedure in step (2).

Check the old fluid for contamination. If it has been contaminated, repeat the steps (5) and (6).

7. Pour the new fluid in through the oil filler tube.
8. Reconnect the hose, which was disconnected in step (1) above, and firmly replace the oil level gauge.(In case of this "replace", this means after wiping off any dirt around the oil level gauge, insert it into the filler tube.)
9. Start the engine and run it at idle for 1~2 minutes.
10. Move the select lever through all positions, and then move it to the "N" position.
11. Drive the vehile until the fluid temperature rises to the normal temperature [70~80°C (158~176°F)], and then check the fluid level again. The fluid level must be at the HOT mark.
12. Firmly insert the oil level gauge into the oil filler tube.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a fan of running the transmission using the pump till its dry, sorry but sounds like a real bad idea to me. I got 5 of the 8 quarts out, persoanlly i feel much safer doing that than whats recommended in that tech article. I see no reason to worry about flushing every last drop of the old fluid out of the transmission. If anything drain the transmission, run it for 30 mins, drain it again, and you have most of the old fluid out. I really dont even see the need to go that far with it though. Im right in the middle of the hot mark on the dipstick after allowing it to idle in neutral about 10 mins and going for a 10 min ride after that. Of course checking the level in neutral on level ground. Mechanical work is far from new to me, imports are however and they arent exactly the same as American cars when it comes to services/special fluids. Ill be taking it for a roughly 15 mile round trip up to the store to buy engine oil/filter today and ill check it again when i get home just to confirm im at the right level.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just offering the proceedure that Kia would use if there was no transmission fluid pump available. This ensures that all fluid is out before the new stuff goes in (not really all as there will still be very small quantities that remain). That way, the risk of contamination of old fluid with new is lower. At present, going by your estimate in your first post, you have approximately 5/8 (62.5%) new, 3/8 (37.5%) old. That is not to say that there is any contamination, just a combination of old and new oil.

In any case, it is your car, maintain it how you like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed however flushing the transmission is a bad idea. Yea i know many of you will argue its not but id never do it. A lot of manufactureres no longer do it either. No reason to do it as long as yu change the fluid when you should. Let it go to long and toast it it's to late anyway. Not going down that road though. It shifts great, back to the way it did new. not that is shifted bad but now its just perfect again. I think im dont posting here. I have only made a handfull of them over the last year or so and hinestly 99% of the feedback people give here is useless. Im not so many forums for other vehicles and i help many people as well as get help when i have a question. Sadly thats not the case here. Even mods on this forum suck. I saw a post the other day that was a few years old, someone posted on it, a smartass mod decided to post "do you know how OLD this thread is".. Really? Who cares how old is it, people still search old threads and new info never hurt anyone. Quite sad. Anyway thanks for trying to help i do appreciate it. Just dont have time for most of the garbage on this forum.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey, no worries with your reply. Don't know if you have been tere yet, but www.kiatechinfo.com isn't to bad for technical information (it is a Kia site with tech stuff for all kia vehicles). There is also www.hmaservice.com (the hyundai tech info site) which has the tucson on it. Anyway, keep the Sportage moving, they are a good little truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea im very happy with it over all and have zero problems with it so far. I plan to keep it as long as i can keep it running with out investing more than its worth. It's my wife's daily driver so im sure it will last. Anyway thank you for the links ill be sure to check them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts