Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have an 02 sportage that im trying to figure out whats wrong with the transmission, i was going down a hill and the it got stuck in 4th gear. the shifter it self moves from gear to gear but the trans wont come out of gear. also the car rolls freely as if it wanst in gear. the car starts and runs fine just as soon as you let off the clutch peddle it lurches forward. ive been told different things from different people. im mechanically inclined but know nothing about transmissions. ive been told it could be the clutch ive been told its the trans ive been told its the pilot baring. Ive even ben told it could be the linkage
if you havent already guessed its a 5 spd
everything is stock except for stereo & exhaust system (parts from junkyard +new parts)
right know the car is sitting in front of the house after having it towed here and im trying to get an idea of how much its going to cost to fix it or if i could do it my self

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sounds like the linkage to the shifting forks, or broken fork(s). Clutch probably OK, otherwise you wouldn't have it lurching when you released the pedal.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
I would also be inclined to check the shift tower first, either the bushing or shift fork... Philip

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR TRANSMISSION MAY BE STUCK BETWEEN GEARS. DO THE EASY THINGS FIRST CHECK TRANS OIL LEVEL AND CONDITION. A DRY TRANSMISSION WILL CAUSE WEAR AND DESTRUCTION . BUT TO ANSWER ONE OF YOUR QUESTIONS READ THIS. I THINK ITS GROUP 40 THAT MAY HELP YOU.https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XUXZKRnlLMV9sMTA&usp=sharing
chief
no gayness intented but i FCKN love you i have been looking for an in depth manual for two years i have one that is from haynes but its for sophia and sportage with all the pictures from a sophia

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Your came to the right place... Many on this will try to help... Just post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think unfortunatly i think as far as doing this my self is a no go i dont have the space or tools :mad: damnit if i had a garage i am going to post back once i have a chance to check the trans fliud levels i have to find the spedo cable and also have to wait till its not raining :(
anything else i can check without actually pulling the trans?
do i need to pull the trans to get to the shifter forks? or is shifter for the same as the shifter rod in the trans?

·
Registered
340 Posts
No speedometer cable its electronic via a vehicle speed sensor.
Remove the console , you can access the shifter. There is a short piece of linkage ( group 41/14 -41/15) the pin may have come out or broke also there is a coupler just before it goes into the transmission that maybe damaged . Also check your slave cylinder for for leaks and proper operation before removing transmission...Is your sportage 2wd or 4wd?
chief

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No speedometer cable its electronic via a vehicle speed sensor.
Remove the console , you can access the shifter. There is a short piece of linkage ( group 41/14 -41/15) the pin may have come out or broke also there is a coupler just before it goes into the transmission that maybe damaged . Also check your slave cylinder for for leaks and proper operation before removing transmission...Is your sportage 2wd or 4wd?
chief
my sporty is 2wd :( wish it was a 4wd ive heard there more fun alo the transmission does leak alot >.< so i wouldnt dout that it was dry of fluids but i could never figure out were the fill plug was so pulled one plug out and it had a spring behind it i figured that wasn't it so i put it back in. i never had a chance of checking again i do remember it started to wine in each gear witch is probly cause for needing a new trans

·
Registered
340 Posts
The fill plug is just forward of the spring plug. The drain is on the bottom. Drain the gear oil out if any and refill with 1 and 1/2 qts. 75/90 gl 5 gear oil.The damage may be done and a rebuild or salvage yard transmission may be in order.
chief

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fill plug is just forward of the spring plug. The drain is on the bottom. Drain the gear oil out if any and refill with 1 and 1/2 qts. 75/90 gl 5 gear oil.The damage may be done and a rebuild or salvage yard transmission may be in order.
chief
How does the trans come out can i just drop it from the bottom. If i need to go that route, i acquired garage space so i have that at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so got the colsole pulled a part and there is a button i pushed it no realizing it was a button now i have no power to anything what the hell did i do?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts