Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!! I own a '99 kia sportage, 4wd/2wd, automatic and I am having the following problems:

*Hold light is consistently flashing
*exhaust manifold is cracked, the sheild was removed and a clear line across one of the 4-1 pipes is shown / cracked.
*transmission will not shift higher than third gear
*when accelerating transmission won't shift into proper gear going up hill, I.E. it'll stay in 1st or 2nd at won't go above 20 miles per hour at an incline
*exhaust pipe at the rear of the car broke off, about three foot long piece was removed, clean cut.

*alternator was dead, I personally replaced it, new battery and hasn't had an issue starting since then.

Just a HUGE loss of power, I'm assuming it's the sensors going haywire because of the heat / exhaust coming out of the manifold here's the codes I was given by a autozone tech:

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit(Bank 1 / Sensor 1)
P0137 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 / Sensor 2)
P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit(Bank 1 / Sensor 2)

My question is, where do I start first? I know I need to get a new exhaust manifold and I need to replace that. I wouldn't mind doing the work myself, assuming it's not going to need any expensive tools.

the other thing is, the exhaust pipe broke off at the middle of the sportage, past the cata converter, do I need to replace that? and should I have the entire line replaced including the cata converter?

Thank you for your help!
-CanisMajoris

EDIT: what has been replaced on it: the whole entire dashboard (temperature gauge was broken), battery, alternator, radiator

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
The O2 sensors and the ECU will not be happy until you replace the manifold and eliminate the ILLEGAL air...

When you replace the manifold check the CAT for restriction, it may be melted..

Your transmission issue may resolve as the ECU/TCM may be protecting the components by residing in LIMP mode... Philip

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Agreed with aquanaut20 on all...
What's the mileage on the car also?
You need to read the sub forums on the sporty...
TONs of info there.
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I took the sportage to a shop, this is what the invoice shows:

engine performance diagnostics: drive test, check fuel system, intake system and ignition system:
P0102, P0705, P1624, P0137 P0141, P0134 CODES in PCM. Exhaust manifold is cracked, engine has multiple misfires, catalytic converter is stopped up and transmission range failure.

They ended up doing a suped-up tune up, replacing ignition coil, spark plugs, ignition wires, valve cover gasket (which was leaking oil) and the exhaust manifold set.

So I got the car back (after a nice hefty payment) and it worked PERFECTLY.

that was yesterday (monday) I drove it around just fine, had a half-tank of gas, drove it enough to get it down to quarter-tank, it worked perfectly all day, the transmission shifted like a beaut.

So this morning I let my sister drive us to school, at the top of a hill at a red light, it started to choke, (acting like it was going to shut off, or that it didn't have enough gas)

Well, I just told her to tease the gas pedal a little and not to worry about it.

After school the HOLD light flashes again and continues until I get home.
The check engine light as consistently stayed on.

Any ideas?

Also, I haven't had the codes read recently I will be doing that tonight sometime.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
Take it back to the shop, something has gone out of adjustment or the ECU sees an issue and has dropped to fail safe mode. Prior to this you were on a drive cycle and the ECU was using factory matrix for values.... Philip

·
Registered
2011 f150 ecoboost
12 Posts
im having the same problem, teasing the throttle from a dead stop and late shifting..............were you able to fix your problem?
Thanks Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was able to fix the problem, the HOLD light keeps coming back on and off while weekly driving, so that means my MPG is horrible when it's in LIMP mode because it won't go into 4th gear.

But now I got a new problem with the starter I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts