Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 kia spectra AT with about 150k on it. All highway miles.

Well about a month ago I came to a stop and started driving, all was well and then all of a sudden I had a hard clunk and the check engine light comes on and I lose overdrive. I take it to Autozone and have them read the codes.

it came back with code P0760. shift solenoid c.

So I come home slowly in third gear, I figure the transmissions gone so I start calling around. I let the car sit Friday night to Monday morning, I turn it on the check engine light if off and I'm able to drive around for two weeks with no problem.

Well you can repeat that cycle about twice, so now a month and I half later after the first instance. So the last two days i'm driving home and the check engine light comes on at the same exact mile marker!!

So I let the car sit two hours and try to drive it again. Guess what it works, however I can to a quick stop and the clunk and engine light comes back on.

I know when it works because now when I drive (when I first turn on the car) I have 1st and 2nd gear. When it doesn't work all I have it third gear
Help, i'm going insane here.

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
Although I do not know what is wrong with your trans, I do suspect that when you feel like you are in third gear after the check engine light, that the car has gone into limp mode to protect it self. This is one of the functions of the ECU in order protect the engine. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable peeps on here will chime in to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although I do not know what is wrong with your trans, I do suspect that when you feel like you are in third gear after the check engine light, that the car has gone into limp mode to protect it self. This is one of the functions of the ECU in order protect the engine. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable peeps on here will chime in to help.
Well I'm positive its not.the engine.

When it happens and I pull on the side of the road when I shift from drive to reverse its crazy loud.

Also the engine code directly references selonoid c

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
3 possibilities:

1. Solenoid C. Open/short/sticking. Needs transmission.
2. Wiring. If external can be fixed fairly easily. If internal may require transmission disassembly to repair, or transmission replacement.
3. TCM. Not likely.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts