Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Sportage in tot he deal twice for a transmission problem. The first itime was a sensor and a factory rep had to come out because they had never seen the problem before. It started with an engine check light that would not go out.

Recently I have had several instances where the car will seem to go sluggish. When you step down on the accelerator, the car is slow to take off and does not accelerate. Also intermittently when this is happening, the cer will seem to go into neutral and rev very high as you step down on the accelerator, followed by a jolt and the transmission seems to slam into drive.

The KIA dealer cannot get this problem to reproduce so they can't seem to fix it, but there are error codes that they read the last time showing some problem in the transmission.

Anyone else see this type of thing? Otherwise, I really like my Sportage.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Kia Sportage Trannsmission issue

YES! My wife bought a 2011 EX last year and started complaining about the exact same thing! At first I poo poo-ed it and told her it's a 4 cylinder it just lacks get up and go power. It continued to happen so we took it to a dealer and they confirmed a TRANNY problem and told us they would replace it with a new at no cost/under warranty. We picked it up today and the paperwork says we got a "re-manufactured" one... the wife is PISSED! We got the fully loaded one with GPS and everything and paid over $35K for it. I called the Kia warranty 800 number and the rep told me that is within their warranty claim rights to replace it with a "re-manufactured" one and "not to worry" the warranty will remain in effect for the full 1oo,ooo miles. Not sure how I feel about it.... not real happy though.. if we took it in tomorrow to to trade it would the dealer pull a car-fax and discount the vehicle cause it's so new YET has a "re-manufactured" tranny??

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
YES! My wife bought a 2011 EX last year and started complaining about the exact same thing! At first I poo poo-ed it and told her it's a 4 cylinder it just lacks get up and go power. It continued to happen so we took it to a dealer and they confirmed a TRANNY problem and told us they would replace it with a new at no cost/under warranty. We picked it up today and the paperwork says we got a "re-manufactured" one... the wife is PISSED! We got the fully loaded one with GPS and everything and paid over $35K for it. I called the Kia warranty 800 number and the rep told me that is within their warranty claim rights to replace it with a "re-manufactured" one and "not to worry" the warranty will remain in effect for the full 1oo,ooo miles. Not sure how I feel about it.... not real happy though.. if we took it in tomorrow to to trade it would the dealer pull a car-fax and discount the vehicle cause it's so new YET has a "re-manufactured" tranny??
I wouldn't say remanufactured is a bad thing. For some reason there is a lot of unjustified hate on remanufactured items. I work in a facility that remanufactures components for the oil and gas industry. Typically on new product, all new parts go in, some of which passed quality inspection on the basis of a "quality sample" meaning only 8 of 25 parts were physically checked. The rest of the parts are passed on the basis they were manufactured the exact same way, but you can always have problems. With a remanufactured part, it is disassembled after failure, undergoes thorough inspection and is rebuilt with new parts, then tested. I wouldn't think Kia would do it any differently. Due to the additional inspection that a remanufactured part goes through, I don't see how it is "better" than a brand new off the shelf part, especially since it is something with no cosmetic value as you will never actually be looking at it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage EX
40 Posts
bluedog,

I recently had a problem....a few weeks or so ago while driving, the sportage had a downshift type noise/feeling and lost some power, nothing I have ever experienced. The car was then stuck in 4th gear. Upon stopping, the car did not shift back to first, so I drove straight to the dealership in 4th the whole time. After a single key cycle at the dealership it had reset back to "normal". They pulled the code P0748: Pressure Control Solenoid Valve. I should also mention the check engine light never came on. They drove the care and found no problem. Thankfully I had gone straight there so they could see the code because they said after 10 key cycles the code would no longer have been there.

I dropped the car off for a day and the dealer was not able to replicate the problem. They too said they have not seen this yet in the Sportage. Doing a search online, some other KIA's have had this problem. The dealer said they checked all connections to ensure there was nothing loose and they said everything was fine. They did prep me for possibly needing a new transmission but since they didn't find anything we are just going to wait and see if it happens again.

Oh...mileage was about 27000 when the problem occurred.

·
Registered
829 Posts
No car maker's warranty has any responsibility to use brand new parts when they have factory-rebuilt ones available. What they have to do is make it run right with factory-approved parts. Suppose they repaired the existing transmission with some new parts - is that going to make you feel better or make any difference on a trade-in? Its simply a lot faster for the dealer and almost certainly a better product for you if they use a factory rebuilt trans rather than doing it themselves. I think the Car-Fax report will show the transmission replaced by the dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
147 Posts
...No car maker's warranty has any responsibility to use brand new parts when they have factory-rebuilt ones available....
Sorry 1xasman, with all due respect, that's a load a CRAP!

All the owner has to do is make some noise in a few forums, have the dealer feel empathetic for you, and post a humiliating YouTube of himself explaining what exactly happened. Mix it all together, let simmer and bring to a boil for a little while and watch it go global viral!

A Kia rep will be in touch in short time asking that the owner remove the YouTube and post and in return for 'hushing up' a new part, or in Gramas case, a NEW car!

Really sad the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed but today it's not about the client is about control and abuse. Dealers can only do so much but when Kia corporate fail to step up to the plate again and again, it becomes genuinely disconcerting to me as the owner of one of their own products.

Read it and weep:
http://www.kia-forums.com/showthread.php?t=80864

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Expert,

I am using KIA sportage 2010 SUV, after starting my vehicle and putting the Vehicle in "D " drive, alway vehicle give jurk and moves slowly after that it moves perfectly, this happen when i put the same in "R" reverse i notice the same problem, kindly provide me the solution for my problem. i have also notice similar provide while using A/c,

kindly provide me the solution

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sorry 1xasman, with all due respect, that's a load a CRAP!

All the owner has to do is make some noise in a few forums, have the dealer feel empathetic for you, and post a humiliating YouTube of himself explaining what exactly happened. Mix it all together, let simmer and bring to a boil for a little while and watch it go global viral!

A Kia rep will be in touch in short time asking that the owner remove the YouTube and post and in return for 'hushing up' a new part, or in Gramas case, a NEW car!

Really sad the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed but today it's not about the client is about control and abuse. Dealers can only do so much but when Kia corporate fail to step up to the plate again and again, it becomes genuinely disconcerting to me as the owner of one of their own products.

Read it and weep:
New Optima Requires Used Transmission??? - Kia Forum
Speaking of 'a load of crap'.....:D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds like a safety issue if the car doesn't respond. I wouldn't care if they can reproduce it or not, there is a problem that needs fixing.

I'm never sure about remanufactured parts. I hate messing around with core charges and sending drippy parts through the mail, so I usually spend extra on brand new parts. Sometimes refurbished parts get more testing to verify they'll work properly, but sometimes the same problem can resurface later. Sometimes it's just a metal case that gets everything inside replaced. I'd buy a remanufactured manual transmission, if all the sycros and bearings and gears were replaced, since I know I could do that properly if it was my job. It'd probably take me a couple years to learn how to properly rebuild automatic transmissions, so I'd be more nervous about using one of those. I doubt Kia wastes time on that, so it's probably just a used part they tested. Since it's exchanging a broken part for a used one, I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The definition "re-manufactured" is used any time a new part has any or all parts replaced. For example, the transmission, could just have and original casing and all the internals are new. Also, from a company standpoint, if a known internal part is statistically prone to fail and falls within limits not for a recall or such within a specified mileage interval. You could only be so lucky to have it fail early in warranty and get a new tranny that won't fail, than if it didn't. Cost effectiveness plays a huge role in whether or not a recall is done or feasible than just taking in on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
2012 Black Cherry Sportage LX (Totaled), 2017 Mineral Silver Sportage LX
66 Posts
I have had my Sportage in tot he deal twice for a transmission problem. The first itime was a sensor and a factory rep had to come out because they had never seen the problem before. It started with an engine check light that would not go out.

Recently I have had several instances where the car will seem to go sluggish. When you step down on the accelerator, the car is slow to take off and does not accelerate. Also intermittently when this is happening, the cer will seem to go into neutral and rev very high as you step down on the accelerator, followed by a jolt and the transmission seems to slam into drive.

The KIA dealer cannot get this problem to reproduce so they can't seem to fix it, but there are error codes that they read the last time showing some problem in the transmission.

Thanks
I have this problem as well. Happens every now and then but cannot reproduce and it happens so infrequently that i havent' bothered going to the dealer because chances are it will not happen for them so why bother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I got the same problem has bluedog describes getting stock at 4th on a 2011 sportage at 23k only 1week ago and no one knows what the problem is I suppose its gonna takes for long.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX
53 Posts
It started with an engine check light that would not go out.

Thanks
Count me in on this. Just got home after a long day. Travelled over 5 hours on a snowy highway and with one hour to get get home this happens. I had to pull over doing 30km/h up a hill on a 110km/h highway, smoke came rolling out from underneath of it when I stopped.
Lucky me, wife and two young girls fit in the extended cab tow truck it we would have been SOL trying to get a ride home. It's at the dealer now so hopefully I'll find out tomorrow what happened to it. :mad:

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
82 Posts

Thanks
If you have the turbo then I suspect your problem was the same as mine and that it will be fixed if they replace the waste gate actuator. This should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia 2012 Sportage transmission

I have a 2012 Kia Sportage with a 4 cyl engine and I have been having transmission problems for some time. I brought it to the dealer and on the third time they said they saw something in the AWD and fixed it. It seemed fine for about two weeks. I brought it in again and told them they would have for a week and again they could not find the problem, it keeps happening. I can be driving at any speed at any time and it feels like the car is in neutral. I have had passengers even questioned what was happening. It feels like it slips out of drive and the tach needle goes up and the engine revs. I recommended changing the transmission but unless something shows up on the computer they refuse to do anything. I like the car but if they don't admit to there being something wrong I wouldn't buy one again. If they already think they found something wrong once then there must be something wrong again. I mentioned replacing the trans but they won't. I read several posts that seemed to have the same problem. This should show them something is not right with their car.

·
Registered
2012 sportage lx
11 Posts
I have a 2012 Kia Sportage with a 4 cyl engine and I have been having transmission problems for some time. I brought it to the dealer and on the third time they said they saw something in the AWD and fixed it. It seemed fine for about two weeks. I brought it in again and told them they would have for a week and again they could not find the problem, it keeps happening. I can be driving at any speed at any time and it feels like the car is in neutral. I have had passengers even questioned what was happening. It feels like it slips out of drive and the tach needle goes up and the engine revs. I recommended changing the transmission but unless something shows up on the computer they refuse to do anything. I like the car but if they don't admit to there being something wrong I wouldn't buy one again. If they already think they found something wrong once then there must be something wrong again. I mentioned replacing the trans but they won't. I read several posts that seemed to have the same problem. This should show them something is not right with their car.
just picked up my car from kia because i noticed the exact same problem described above after owning the car for 2 weeks, kia said no error codes found and drove the car for 40 miles testing it and blamed it on learning mode. when it happens i just lighten up on the gas pedal and it goes away. after reading these posts describing the same problem i have i think its a computer shifting problem, hopefully a eci upgrade will come out if everyone complains enough, but what do i know im no mechanic

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia sportage 2003 diesel

When the car is driven around 26km the clutch and the gear becomes hard while the ac is on and its impossible to change gear and once the engine cools down it becomes normal again

·
Registered
2017 Hyundia Tucson petrol. 2018 Hyundia i20 petrol. Never to drive a diesel again
62 Posts
I wouldn't say remanufactured is a bad thing. For some reason there is a lot of unjustified hate on remanufactured items. I work in a facility that remanufactures components for the oil and gas industry. Typically on new product, all new parts go in, some of which passed quality inspection on the basis of a "quality sample" meaning only 8 of 25 parts were physically checked. The rest of the parts are passed on the basis they were manufactured the exact same way, but you can always have problems. With a remanufactured part, it is disassembled after failure, undergoes thorough inspection and is rebuilt with new parts, then tested. I wouldn't think Kia would do it any differently. Due to the additional inspection that a remanufactured part goes through, I don't see how it is "better" than a brand new off the shelf part, especially since it is something with no cosmetic value as you will never actually be looking at it on a daily basis.
But that is exactly the problem. Unjustified or not if and when a buyer, including a dealer, discovers that re-manufactured parts have been used that will affect the resale value especially if you are doing a part ex with a dealer, probably even more so when dealing with dealers.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Would you prefer used parts? After all, your car is a 'used car' after you drive it off the lot. Why do you think you deserve a totally new component when a rebuilt one may actually be better? Technically, if you have, say, 31,000 miles on the car and need a transmission, they should scour the Earth to find one with exactly that same mileage to make your car as perfect as possible. But, in the interest of getting you back on the road and saving everybody time and money, they install a factory-rebuilt trans.
BTW, there really is no such thing as 'new' engines or transmissions outside the assembly plant - they basically have the choice of installing used or rebuilt assemblies, because the factory has moved on with different designs since your car was made. They will not and cannot put a 2014 engine into a 2011 car -so they use the correct rebuilt part. Rebuilt engines and transmissions frequently have updated parts to prevent the same kind of failure again. And finally, If you saw the rebuilt trans come into the dealership, all shiny and wrapped in plastic on a pallet, how would you even know it was rebuilt if nobody said anything? Looks the same as factory new, maybe better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
transmission reman

this how solve that problem you contact federal trade commission tell not putting a new transmission and they put in a reman
one

1 - 20 of 23 Posts