Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
platinum carnival 2007
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all the kia owners
i guess ill get more time to meet and greet in time so ill get straight into what i need to say

i just went on a 400km drive towing a caravan with my 2007 grand carnival
200km into the trip i managed to cook my transmission i admit i was pushingit a little and pulled over at the first sign of oil smell
the trans still works fine and i changed the oil as soon as i could but now it makes a whirring noise when in gear sounds like a pump or similar

has anyone had any experience with this problem and can it be fixed cheaply as i cannot really afford a new transmission

or does anyone know how much a transmission might cost in australia

·
Registered
platinum carnival 2007
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have found out that a new transmission will cost around $6000 before installation
or $4000 for a transmission shop to overhaul
but could be waiting up to 3 weeks for parts
this is so annoying as i feel it is still ok to drive around but the wife is too paranoid and will only use it for the school run to drop kids and pick em up now she want me to drive her everywhere in my car lols

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Honestly, I'd just drive the damn thing until the trans give up the ghost, then have it rebuilt or buy a used one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
hi to all the kia owners
i guess ill get more time to meet and greet in time so ill get straight into what i need to say

i just went on a 400km drive towing a caravan with my 2007 grand carnival
Q: It's been almost two months since your original post- still driving the car as-is?

RE: 400km drive towing a caravan with my 2007 grand carnival = towing a trailer, right?

Is so how big/heavy?

How many lbs were you towing?

200km into the trip i managed to cook my transmission i admit i was pushing it a little and pulled over at the first sign of oil smell
Road conditions FLAT, level ground, or in the mountains?

the trans still works fine and i changed the oil as soon as i could but now it makes a whirring noise when in gear sounds like a pump or similar

has anyone had any experience with this problem and can it be fixed cheaply as i cannot really afford a new transmission
Everyone I've talked to says the transmissions are pretty trouble free - and most cars are 100,000 miles at this point in time- so you're unlikely to find much info about trans problems. Beyond the dealer- ask around at various transmission shops on that pump noise.

Sounds like a new /rebuilt trans is in your near future.

Does anyone know how much a transmission might cost in australia
australia=Australia , right?

I've seen KIA factory rebuilt transmissions on various online sites for around $1,000 IIRC. (US Sites)

(I was also thinking around the time I'll probably need a transmission.. the rebuilts will be N/A (Not Available) thru the mfg.)

Go here, select Kia Sedona- drill down to transaxel group
http://www.kiapartsdepartment.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=216393

TRANSAXLE Sedona; 5 Spd.

MSRP $1,000.00
Core ? $1,000.00
Online Price $800.00

I'd get on Google and search around.
So far as best pricing in Australia, unless you can have one shipped from another region (US) you are at the mercy of those in your home land.

I'd do this- Google around for a list of all the Kia dealers in Australia. with that list- search for dealers that do online sales.

Why? Online is usually cheaper as it's considered another profit center within the dealership.

Fun fact 101
Your local dealer vs buying a new car (or part) is going to be more than dealer further away.

On a new car driving 100-200 miles will result in a pretty good savings most of the time as dealer 100-200 miles out looks at the sale as a "bonus" sale for a lack of a better word. On the car itself they make the profit- and they never see it again. It's like if someone came up to you and said, hey How would your like to make a $1,000 for 15minutes work.

Parts sales are going to be a similar situation.

i have found out that a new transmission will cost around $6000 before installation
or $4000 for a transmission shop to overhaul
but could be waiting up to 3 weeks for parts
Is that $6,000 in US Dollars?

I'd look at a KIA FACTORY REBUILT unit. MSRP $1,000, online price $800
(Call your dealer. Give them your vin, write down the part number for factory unit and start Gogogling around)

this is so annoying as i feel it is still ok to drive around but the wife is too paranoid and will only use it for the school run to drop kids and pick em up now she want me to drive her everywhere in my car lols
At least it still rolls under it's own power... Could be worse the thing could be totally immobile.

On the wife not trusting the car - I don't blame her... Additionally I wouldn't want my kids in the car... you never know when it might crap out on you.

So to recap,
Check online vendors
Check about importation
Check dealers beyond your local area.
(For Giggles you can check with dealers closer... who knows maybe they might do a price match or something.)
Check various transmission shops- and post back what they say.

Last, and not least:

Don't be a one-way street poster (All info flows to you), think "two-way street" in that you post back info that will help others at a later date!
(Translation: Post in DETAIL what you end up doing, post info YOU would like to run into if you were searching for info on xyz problem. )

Note, I don't personally need a trans- but I'm sure someone out there would appreciate any tips you could provide on the experience.

Q: Wouldn't it be nice if you could run across this info when you needed it? Think two-way street!

·
Registered
platinum carnival 2007
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am sorry i have not been on in such a long time

i searched all the dealers and their price stood firm $6000AUD supply only

in the end i sourced an approved transmission mechanic
it cost me $4500AUD to have it rebuilt(reconditioned)
had i have been back on here prior with the above info i probably could have worked harder and got it done cheaper
i usually do all my own repairs so sourcing repairers in not my specialty

the whirring noise ended up being a bearing in the torque converter which they missed and had to pull out the trans twice

to answer a cple questions
Road conditions FLAT, level ground, or in the mountains?
not mountains as such but was some long hills

Q: It's been almost two months since your original post- still driving the car as-is?

RE: 400km drive towing a caravan with my 2007 grand carnival = towing a trailer, right?

Is so how big/heavy?

How many lbs were you towing?
yes trailer(caravan we call it in Aus
15ft
approx 7-800kg

im not sure if i mentioned it but the best advise i would give here is
when using the tiptronic transmission DO NOT lock it into top gear and use cruise control in a hilly environment whilst towing a load

it is all good now we are happy kia owners again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts