Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 kia sedona with 102,000 miles. Just noticed yesterday that when the van shifts from 1st to 2nd its kind of rough, you can feel it jerk. Not sure what the issue is but I hope its nothing major. Also, not sure if this is related or not but there has been a few times where I am going down hill with my foot off the gas and its like the van downshifts and the rpms go up so i end up having to press the gas to make it shift back up. And one more thing that has happened lately is that sometimes if im sitting in park with the van running my rpms drop to pretty much 0 and makes the van shake and all so of course i shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes then restart it and its fine but then the check engine light is on but then it goes back out. I have had my van looked at for that issue by my uncle who is a mechanic but this was after the light had went back out and he couldnt get it to do that same thing and told me that when it starts doing it more to take it back to him. ugh!! can anyone help tell me what the heck is wrong with my van??:(

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,723 Posts
Have you checked your trans fluid? Is it black? smells burnt? Have you changed the trans fluid?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting rdy to go out and check it. had to wait on my husband to get up so he can help me since our e brake dont work. but ill let u kno. thanx for replying. oh and no ive never changed the fluid since i bought it used about 6 yrs ago.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Fluid changes every 30k miles per book. Lots of comments on how much improved shifting is with new fluid ... and the transmission will act funny "if" there are any stored engine codes. At 102k miles I'd suggest chaeking/cleaning the throttle body and IAC (Idle air control) valve. Both get carboned up over the miles and stick.. Choke and Carb cleaner and a toothbrush and soft cotton rag. Clean the butterfly valve (round metal disk inside the throat of the throttle body).
Codes can be stored even "if" the CEL light is not on.
Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt realize the fluid should be changed that often i guess i will have to do that. and im not too sure of what you are talking about since i dont kno much about cars. i only kno basic stuff. guess ill have to go on a google search!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so we checked the fluid. it doesnt smell burnt but it is pretty dirty so looks like i will try new fluid and all and see if that fixes my problem.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,723 Posts
ok so we checked the fluid. it doesnt smell burnt but it is pretty dirty so looks like i will try new fluid and all and see if that fixes my problem.
Very good place to start!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts