Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Optima LX V6 that has been very reliable except for some transmission and electrical issues. The electrical issues with the door locking system are tolerable, but the transmission issue is starting to get scary! My vehicle, while travelling in high gear, hesitates slightly and then abruptly downshifts to 3 gear losing overdrive and torque converter lockup. The check engine light comes on and the tachometer shoots up over 3500 RPM. I have noted that the problem is most likely electronic, as I can shift to neutral, turn the vehicle off, start it back up and the gears are back. The check engine light remains. There have been numerous attempts to repair by more than one dealer and multiple complaints to the manufacturer to no avail. At highway speeds, this little downshift could cause you to lose control of this vehicle. Anyone have any information on this? I am scared to allow my other half to drive this vehicle for fear of accident. Please advise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure if yours is due to the continuous learning profile of the electronic transmission control. I do occasionally experience slightly abrupt gear shift, particularly after driving my family during weekend and back driving alone on Monday morning. Shift only becomes unnoticebale after couple of acceleration and deceleration. Maybe for the electronic to re-learn.

Originally posted by mjmfrqtr@Dec 10 2004, 09:47 AM
I have an 02 Optima LX V6 that has been very reliable except for some transmission and electrical issues. The electrical issues with the door locking system are tolerable, but the transmission issue is starting to get scary! My vehicle, while travelling in high gear, hesitates slightly and then abruptly downshifts to 3 gear losing overdrive and torque converter lockup. The check engine light comes on and the tachometer shoots up over 3500 RPM. I have noted that the problem is most likely electronic, as I can shift to neutral, turn the vehicle off, start it back up and the gears are back. The check engine light remains. There have been numerous attempts to repair by more than one dealer and multiple complaints to the manufacturer to no avail. At highway speeds, this little downshift could cause you to lose control of this vehicle. Anyone have any information on this? I am scared to allow my other half to drive this vehicle for fear of accident. Please advise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Kia Optima with same transmission problem. With a code reader I have, I got a code of 1529, but I can't find what this code stands for. Anyone know where to get OBD II codes for Kia?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
All you Optima/Magentis owner are scaring me with those transmission problems, I'm scared the same thing will happend to my new Magentis in a few months or years. I'm gonna be paranoid when it comes to acceleration to not be too hard on the transmission..... But does anybody know if it helps to use the manual shifting option all the time when you have the foot heavy on the pedal? That way it wouldnt mess up the with the self learning automatic transmission profile?

I hope I didnt make a mistake buying a Magentis that will give me transmission problems in the future. I thought that was all fixed on magentis/sonatas since they had the steptronic transmissions. I know some people that bought new sonatas in the past and had the harderst time having to change their transmissions all the time, and I surely dont want to be one of them..... :puzzled:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts