Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Spectra5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Spectra5. Got it used with 64k and now has 105k 2 years later. It was sugested at Mr.Tire(not going to believe most of anything they say) that the transmission should be flushed. Everything iv seen doing research is all 50/50. Can i get some feed back on the 3 options in my head because any help would be great because im on the fence. I do not have a service history on the car besides state inspections and thats about it so i am assuming it might have never been changed. There are also no problems i notice with the trans anyway. 1)do flush and hope the tranny does not die soon after? 2)get a new filter and gasket? 3)just have it drained and refilled? thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
2007 kia Spectra ex, 5 speed
20 Posts
i seen a video on you tube saying its bad to flush you trans. or engine. it will loosen up the dirt . it all wont come out . the rest will clog up the filter or screen .

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
A drain and refill should cause no problems as long as the car was not used as a "ratrod" or driven under unusual conditions (towing heavy objects) and it has dark and smelly fluids. Just normal running of the transmission would pick up dirt and loose metals and the internal filter would catch them. The replacement of the fluid will add better lubrication and extend it's life.. It's been heavily suggested on this forum that Hyundai/KIA type III fluid be used and not discount store brand types.
Dave

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
as mentioned a drain and fill is ok but a fluid exchange is the best IMO as it replaces all the fluid even the torque converters fluid and a flush is not recommended because of contaminants being forced under pressure through the transmission and have the external filter replaced if there is one some transmissions don't have one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
THIS IS FOR EVERYBODY WITH A CAR! NEVER EVER GET A TRANS FLUSH! EVER! Got one at a Lincoln dealer on my 06 Zephyer. Ruined the tranny! I have since taken them to court and waiting on a settlement. Wife didnt mind though cause she got a new Optima SX. Lol. As stated b4 only drain and fill and thats only if fluid clean. If dirty leave alone!

·
Registered
2006 Spectra5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah im going to just drop the pan and change the filter and refil myself. Ill save myself the money and i have all the needed tools and its not really that difficult. The only question i have is about what fluid to use exactly. Mine calls for Diamond SP 3 or equivallent. This Valvaline high millage im looking at (Valvoline/High mileage Dex/Merc) specifies that its good for Hyundai/Kia SP-3 but it does not say Diamond so im just a little 50/50 on that. Ill probably call the dealer or if someone can just give me a solid answer that would be sweet.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I have trusted Valvoline with my cars since switching from the horrid Quaker State back in the early 80s...Never been dissatisfied on tear down..
I have researched this "problem" over the net and have found no one with a KIA or Hyundai using Valvoline Maxlife transmission fluid having a problem..

Clip from Valvoline's site
Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid MaxLife > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF

"Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

It seams to have to do with the "damper clutch" that is used in Mitsubishi "type" transmissions (the Three Diamonds is Mit's trademark)..

The damper clutch is the "lockup clutch" that locks the torque converter to the engine when the car gets above a certain speed and the transmission gets above a certain temperature.

I'd trust it in my tranny(s)
Dave

·
Registered
kia spectra,estima,proton wira
2 Posts
Hi from Malaysia.Recently on my KIa mechanic's advise i did a full flushing on my 2004 Septra.Milleage was 140 000KM.Flushing uses 12 litres of oil or 3 bottles (mechanic recommended Dex VII).He says Dex III is old school here in our hot humid weather Malaysia.Apart from that i had the filter and gasket replaced.He says dirt and debris or should be removed to give a smooth gear change.

·
Registered
2004 Spectra EX
29 Posts
Just for the purpose so others know what worked for mine since I read up here somewhere what to do and NOT to do.

Transmission worked Ok but seemed sloppy shifting. Fluid was very very brown and just a hint of a burnt smell to it. I was wanting to change all the fluid using the cooling line method, old into a bucket, drawing new fluid in from the gallon jugs. Even though it wasn't a full fluid replacement, I just did a drain and fill using the Valvoline MaxLife fluid with 1 gallon. I did also add 1/2 can of Sea Foam Trans Tune since I had it here. Fluid looked much better had a brown tint to it. Transmission certainly did perform better. More positive shifts was the biggest difference. After a couple weeks the shifts weren't as good as they were right after the fluid drain and fill, but still much better than before with the brown dirty fluid. I've since put over 17,000 miles on it and transmission seems to be working fine with the occasionally sloppy slow lull during converter lock up. Soo, yes the drain and fill with Valvoline MaxLife was helpful, the SeaFoam Trans Tune did not hurt anything, just not sure if it helped. Fluid now seems to have a bit more red to it than brown. Currently at 133,000 miles with it's first drain and fill at 116,000.

My intent is to do another drain and fill in a couple months (early spring when weather is warmer) and add that other 1/2 can of SeaFoam Trans Tune.

·
Registered
Kia Soul!, 2011
132 Posts
Although you revived a thread dead from 2013, I'll go along and post here.
Valvoline MaxLife, like 90% of the synthetics out there is not what your transmission needs, it has a low viscosity (5.9 Cts, class LV), appropriate only for newer transmissions.
What you need is Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (6.9 cSt), or even better, Castrol Transmax Import multi-vehicle (8 cSt, equal to OE fluid).
Drain and refill twice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts