Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento 3.5lt 5 Speed Sports Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a transmission service this weekend.

I just rang Kia Chadstone (Victoria) to find out the price of the 'special' tranny fluid required for the 5 speed sports auto for my 2005 Sorento. They just told me it cost's.... wait for it..... $41.74 "PER LITRE"..... ummm.. the tranny takes 10 litres gonna cost over $400 just for tranny fluid. That's freakin ridiculous. :eek:

I asked if they new of a substitute, as I can't spend this much just on transmission fluid. They obviously said no!

The manual says the transmission fluid I need is APPOLLOIL ATF RED-1. I have the "A5SR1" transmission. Surely this oil cannot be so special that it costs so much.

Does anyone have an idea on a substitute?

I've done about 145,000k's. The transmission is okay, but when gearing down, it goes from 3rd straight in to 1st,(when I come to a stop), and 'sometimes' (not often) when this happens i do feel a slightly harsh change.... more like a small jolt... When checking the fluid (once warm) I noticed it was overfull. i took about 1 litre out of it and now it's spot on. I actually notice the jolt is even less now, but thought it would be good to do a complete fluid change... but now I'm not so sure.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento 3.5lt 5 Speed Sports Auto
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave. these options sound really good. I might see if i can source them over here....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I rang a couple of places today to get quote on changing Auto trans oil, diff oil, and transfer case oil. Around $350. But they also said that there was a auto trans kit that has to be changed at a cost of $62. I rang Kia Service and they said it doesn't use a kit. Has anyone else heard of this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi rgiorlando, I also was blown away by the price of the oil. So I looked into it further and found a place in Dapto called Hi-Tec Oil Traders Pty Ltd. They are also in Sydney. They have an oil that is exactly the same as the APOLOIL ATF RED 1.... Its called Multitrans ATF 5 ltr for around $56 for auto transmission. Also they have Multigear 80w90 in 4 ltr for around $30 for Diff. By the way you never change the Transfer case oil it is in their for life.

Hi-Tec Oil Traders
5 Tarlington Pl
Smithfield.NSW
Ph: 0296165700

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi rgiorlando, I also was blown away by the price of the oil. So I looked into it further and found a place in Dapto called Hi-Tec Oil Traders Pty Ltd. They are also in Sydney. They have an oil that is exactly the same as the APOLOIL ATF RED 1.... Its called Multitrans ATF 5 ltr for around $56 for auto transmission. Also they have Multigear 80w90 in 4 ltr for around $30 for Diff. By the way you never change the Transfer case oil it is in their for life.

Hi-Tec Oil Traders
5 Tarlington Pl
Smithfield.NSW
Ph: 0296165700

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts