Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rondo V6 2002 Sedona
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to make sure I'd appreciate any confirmations :)
Going to change my transmission oil on a 2002 Optima 4 cyl, looking under the car, middle left by the oil filter is the oil bolt, directly right of it about 18 inches(1/3 meter), in the middle of a silver, cast aluminum box with the front wheel shafts coming from it in the middle of the box (not quite a box, multiple small box shapes attacted to it actually), is a large aluminum bolt with a washer which I assume can't be anything else but the transmission fluid. Any confirmation is appreciated (man is it hard to find transmission fluid for it in the US).
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Originally posted by kruhland@Oct 27 2005, 09:17 AM
Just to make sure I'd appreciate any confirmations :)
Going to change my transmission oil on a 2002 Optima 4 cyl, looking under the car, middle left by the oil filter is the oil bolt, directly right of it about 18 inches(1/3 meter), in the middle of a silver, cast aluminum box with the front wheel shafts coming from it in the middle of the box (not quite a box, multiple small box shapes attacted to it actually), is a large aluminum bolt with a washer which I assume can't be anything else but the transmission fluid. Any confirmation is appreciated (man is it hard to find transmission fluid for it in the US).
Thanks
Just to make sure.. when was the last time the tranny fluid was changed, and was the FILTER changed as well? Cuz the filter needs to be changed! Also, if you've NEVER done it yourself.. and if you have a friend who is a mechanic then hook up with them and have them help ya.. hope that helps! :57:

·
Registered
2008 Rondo V6 2002 Sedona
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
42,000 miles, I'm doing the lazy way and draining as much as possible (about 5 of the 7 quarts), replacing it this way more offen, and pushing off the filter for now. It was really easy, large metalic bolt, mid right under the aluminum pan in the bottom. Cleaned the bolt, refilled it through the AT dip stick using a funnel (pour it slowly). Bought the fluid at a Kia dealship (can also go to a Mitsubishi or Hyundai dealership for it), $4.45 per quart, what a scam. No autopart places in town (5 different chains) carry it. My wifes Sedona is next

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'm pretty sure those transmissions have non-serviceable ATF filters, so you don't have to worry about changing it. They are inside of the transmission and only need to be replaced when the transmission gets rebuilt.

The SP-III fluid is (to my knowledge) only available through Kia, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi dealerships. It is Mitsubishi-brand fluid and it is the only fluid you should use. Some companies make *special* fluid that will work, but it's more expensive and you don't need it.

Just pulling the plug won't get all of the fluid out (like an oil change). You have to disconnect the inlet hose going to the transmission, start the car and let the transmission pump as much fluid as possible into your drain pan. It helps to have someone ready to turn off the car because you want to stop the engine as soon as the ATF stops coming out (less than a minute). After you do that, then you pull the plug and drain what you can. Even after all of that, some fluid will still remain in the torque converter but forget because there's no way to get it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts